First Time Buyer intro from South Texas. HOOK'EM HORNS

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ryanincc, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Hello to all you regulators, I mean regulars around here :) We are a family of 4 + dog. A house divided between THE University of Texas Longhorns and texas tech. Guess which side I'm on [:D] Myself, DW (just learned that one) 5 1/2, and an 8 month. We are extreme newbies here, and we are currently shopping for a pop up for the very first time, having absolutely zero experience in the RV world. Going to buy in February sometime. We've learned how to tent and cabin camp at most of the campgrounds within 100 miles of Corpus Christi.

[TV] We will be TW (just learned that one too) a 1997 Toyota 4Runner V6, which according to the owners manual has a towing cap at 5K lbs, which Im sure is plenty for a pop up.... or is it? lol I really don't know. We are such newbs that, as I have been slowly preparing my 4Runner for towing (shopping for tires, fixing oil leaks, tune-up etc.), I just accidentally discovered I had the trailer lights already run on the vehicle as I was checking my spare tire's air pressure under the back. Ive had the vehicle for 6 years and I was about to get an appointment to have them installed. [LOL] To save some pride, well I tried to, I got my multimeter to check to see if they work still… seems like they do, but i need a second pair of feet to step on the brake for me.

So far, as in what we are looking for in a pop up, my rookie senses are telling me to go AsimpleAP as in the more things on a camper there are, the more things that can break. So, any advice on the must haves and don't gets are Beyond appreciated. Any links to post on this site or buyers guides that are really good etc. Are soooooo welcome as well.

I look forward to learning with all of you (I DON'T say Y'ALL [:D]) and the fun that will follow.

2. bfahs

bfahs Member

Your Truck will be plenty for pulling a Popup. I'm pulling my Palomino with a Honda Odyssey wityh only 3500 lbs of capacity and for Flat midwestern ground, drives like there is nothing there.

Many Popups in the 2000-2500 or less weight. So even with another thousand pounds of "STUFF" you are good to go.

Simple or complex is up to you.

If you are experienced tent campers then you can almost initially just look at it as a more comfortable tent and go from there. That's what we are doing. We've always tent camped and are now transitioning to the PUP. (Still Tent camp frequently with Boy Scouts)

Welcome and good luck.

BTW, I have very fond memories of traveling to the 1995 Sugar Bowl. You can look that one up.

3. Ryanincc

Hah! I'll have to rewatch that one! Thanks for the response, Brian.

Keep the tips coming!

So far I'm seeing that soft floors and rotting canvas are deal breakers, correct?

Definition of boondocking?

4. bfahs

bfahs Member

We decided to buy new, hoping to keep it for 15 years+. But yes don't touch Nything with anysigns of water damage.

Boondocking = camping in a primitive site. No power or water.

5. Ryanincc

Thanks again, Brian. I seriously doubt we will camp anywhere without hookups. Given that it's just Ox (the jack mix dog) and I that are male. By my wife's vote count it's 1.5 / 3 against boondocking. [Lol]

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

7. Ryanincc

Thanks Ray and family!

I'm just about to go visit my first two pop ups for sale. I'm waiting on an email reply for today or tomorrow. One seller from Craig's list said in the ad that he would set it up prior to my arrival. Thanks to some research here, I requested to be present for the setup. Any other tips from you guys?

8. bfahs

bfahs Member

You may not want to. Virginia Tech over Texas 28-10 or something like that. I was a Senior at Virginia Tech.

Don't count your Girls out! Here's pic of my 6YO and 10YO in the Subfreezing weather (Probably 22 deg or so in this pic) over thanksgiving. They are at least as into camping as their 13YO brother.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1180 by bfahs, on Flickr

[url

9. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Welcome from western Colorado and from an ex pat Texan. Corpus Christi born.
    MR

10. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from Central Ohio Good luck and Happy Camping [CP]

11. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

If It is just you and your DW and one dog I would look into a 8 or 10 foot. there are just the 3 of us and the 8" toas is just right for us.

12. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

You need more than the wires for the lights....you will also need a brake controller. I know on the 2003+ 4Runners they are plug-n-play. Not sure about your generation. The previous owner might have already had one wired up.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from a former Texas resident (San Antonio) who now lies in the great Pacific Northwest.

I'll reinforce what Jungle Jim mentioned about the brakes. Be sure to get a PUP with electric brakes and then get a seven-pin wiring system and a brake controller for the TV. Trailer brakes are a critical safety element IMO.

14. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Fellow Texan and UT alumni here! Welcome!

Here is what I'd recommend for a camper that will last you for years without leading you immediately into upgradeitis.

1) get a queen bed or bigger on one end for you and the spouse. A double on the other end should do for the kids for a long time.

2) Fridge is unimportant. They are so small in pups unless you get a large highwall, that they are almost pointless in my experience. They also take hours to cool down. In Texas summer, more like 12-24 hours. Pointless on a weekend trip. For a family of 4 you'll end up relying on ice chests anyway, so don't sweat the fridge.

3)DO sweat the AC. Let's face it, we are in Texas, and your camping experience will be vastly improved and your season extended if you have AC. Insist on it. Make it a deal breaker.

4) Potty and shower. You have little kids. Get the potty for sure, even if it's just a stand alone portapotty from Walmart or similar. A built in cassette potty would be fantastic. Shower isn't as important if you plan to always be at parks with shower facilities, but it still nice to have. Pups with showers have hot water heaters, which I didn't think much of until I upgraded and got one. Having hot water to wash dishes and shower is a luxury I won't do without ever again. I used to heat water In a tea pot for washing dishes, which works, but it sure is nice to just turn the hot knob on and have hot water! Being able to rinse the kids off without having to traipse to the showers is handy in cold or rainy weather.

5) space for everyone's bags. Make sure you have room in the camper for 4 peoples luggage (that isn't stacked up on the dinette). Constantly having to shuffle stuff around sucks. The little ones can have their bags at the foot of their bed. You and the spouse probably need a better place to put your stuff. Lots of people do "mods" to add tubs and plastic drawers and the like. Those work, but require setup and tear down time. Save yourself the trouble and get a pup with enough cabinet space for your stuff! I recommend enough cabinet space for a small microwave, a small television, a coffee pot, a dish drying rack, and your bags.

6) there are literally hundreds of good used popups on Craigslist in Texas. Start looking daily to get an idea of size, weight, price, and age. In my opinion, there is very little benefit to buying new. You get a warranty, true. But they lose value so fast that you can make a lot of repairs not under warranty before adding up to what you'll pay for new. Look for something a few years old in like new condition. That's the sweet spot in my opinion. Check the year on the tires. Most pups 5 years old or more will need new tires immediately. Age is more important than visible condition.

7)plan to spend some extra money on reflective tarps or "popup gizmos" and window inserts for the bunk ends. In Texas summer, it will make a huge difference in your comfort level.

15. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Welcome from cental IL! Good luck in your search. We found when we were looking storage was more important to us than a bathroom so that was important to find one that didn't have one. We ended up going new after we found a floor plan we loved.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

16. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Gig em. That is all I have to say. Oh and welcome aboard, SAW EM OFF! [LOL] ahhhh fooseball

17. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Oh skeeter... Now see, I liked you up till now! SMH

18. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Loraura, I'm honestly a horns fan, I'm required by law to back the ags due to my step fathers footballdays

19. shfd739

shfd739 Member

The 4Runner should be fine with any pup you could want including hi walls. Almost the same power as our '97 Land Cruiser and the 4R is lighter. We do okay power wise even with way bigger than stock tires.

Go for the biggest and newest you can afford. The slide out dinette models are awesome for freeing space up. Having a potti is a great convenience first thing in the morning with the kids or if you can't get a site close the bathrooms. Easy to dump mid trip if needed as well.

I assume you're in Corpus Christi. When we were looking we searched pretty much statewide. Figured I could drive out on a Saturday, look and if it checked out take it home Sunday.

If you come across any near San Antonio I'd be happy to go look and take pics for you.

20. Ryanincc

I knew I blocked that out of memory for some reason. UGH!

Your daughters are beautiful! My 5yo has lost the same squeeze tail cat thingy hat. :)… Oh wait. Is that an Owl?