First Time Buyer intro from South Texas. HOOK'EM HORNS

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ryanincc, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

WOW!!!! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I had no idea I had so many replies. Ive been a part of one of the 4Runner forums lately and those guys are evil compared to here! Most questions get a sarcastic shot about using google lol. Sincerely, I appreciate the welcome!

Am i allowed to post photos here? Is there a permission I need?

2. Ryanincc

Incredibly generous of you!! thank You!

3. Ryanincc

BLASPHEMY!!! [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O]

4. Ryanincc

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Some forums are like that. That is why on those forums you want to always start them out with "I tried the search function" [:D] You seem to be doing plenty of your homework though that is for sure.

Pics are always welcome and encourage. (but you will need to have something like Photobucket, or Flickr or something like that)

6. Ryanincc

UGH! I have to sign up on another siteĀ…. better get with the times i guess.

7. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Ryan that roof looks in need of repair. Youre looking at an immediate project, to be exoected for that price, but not that much project. Our forst pup was nice for $2500 but needed minor things here and there. Not sure if I would take on a possible full roof rebuild even now.

8. Ryanincc

Wouldn't it leak if it was beyond minor?

9. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

10. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Not necessarily. The roof wood can absorb a decent amount of water and rot without it becoming a leak.

What's your budget? Fwiw we paid $3700 for our '01 Niagara with a slide and potti/shower back in the summer. Only needs have been sealing a crack on the front trunk, new furnace thermostat and new tires. I probably could've done a little better on price but it was still fair. Plenty of room for a family and it has lots of life left.

11. Ryanincc

How do I inspect the roof? Can I climb on top of it when it's down or just push on it with my hands? I'm heading over there again today

12. Ryanincc

How do I inspect the roof? Can I climb on top of it when it's down or just push on it with my hands? I'm heading over there again today

13. Ryanincc

14. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Ryan I'm just judging by one of the pics on CL, you can immediately see a piece of trim hanging off the lower lip of the roof where it seals against the lower box. If it were me I wouldn't even look at it.

Look for water damage. Youll notice people who take care of their pups such as many members here have had a roof leak before. Not the first time. However in the process of repair the water damage stains get cleaned. If you see water damage that's pretty much a sure sign of someone who didn't care for the camper.

An easy place to check for roof leaks here intexas is to feelthe ceiling around the air conditiiner inside the pup. Any softness and you had/have a leak.

15. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Hi, Ryan. You don't want to buy one with roof damage. There are too many out there that don't have it. Look for ripples and bubbles on the sides and top inside and out. Push on the inside sides and top and feel for soft spots. It's hard to tell from pictures but there's something that just doesn't look right on that roof.....maybe not but go over it carefully. We have an '86 Starcraft Nova that was garage kept and it still has a great roof so they are out there for a reasonable price if you look. I can push on our roof sides and it's rock solid. Good luck!

16. Ryanincc

Got it, I think. lol

So, Ill inspect the inside of the roof for soft spots by pushing around, especially near the AC. Also, looking for ripples and bubbles.

Is there a way to inspect the outside roof as well? It has left rear corner separation and above the door. I noticed a little rot on the rear part of the same corner.

I will definitely take pics today and try to post them here later today.

Our budget, we can go a little higher, possibly up to 5K, but I also need new tires for the 4Runner, a tranny flush, and some funds to go to the local RV store and get all the little stuff Ill need that I don't know I need yet. Its all really depending on the tax return.

The reason I reeeeaaallly like it so much is that the interior, floors, canvas are basically flawless, and the price is at the low end of NADA. However, we do need something that will last 10 years or more, i think lol. We aren't having any more kids as we have intervened in natures course with some tube tying [LOL]

17. Ryanincc

thanks for your help. I was really excited about it, but now thinking I should wait a little longer and shop some more. With a little help, especially from a fellow poster here who lives in san antonio and offered to take some pics of pups in the area, ill have to re-read who it was, i can find something better. but ill still post pics and get your feedback.

18. Ryanincc

Just wanted to say thanks again for the more than warm welcome! This forum is special!

19. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Welcome from Korea! You will be able to tow just about everything that pops up. I'm sure you want a/c, and since you're going to camp with hookups, just get a trailer with a built-in bathroom.
    The question is how much of that money are you willing to spend? What ever you buy will not last (satisfy) you for ten years, trust me! LOL
    You won't need too much at the RV store. Just the hitch for the car, brake controller, and wiring. Leveling blocks too if you get a spot that isn't flat.
    Rough it the first few times to figure out what you really need to bring. We have piles of stuff that hasn't been touched in years.
    If your kids aren't going to grow up to be giants like mine did, a ten-foot trailer would ok. Twelve-foot ones have A LOT more room. The slide-outs are neat. A Jayco 12SO is nice, and there are a lot of others that are out there.
    We use a porta-potti and it's great, but we don't have hookups in Korea.
    Try to get a used Coleman or a Fleetwood if you can. They will last you ten years.
    Happy hunting!

20. Ryanincc

Thanks! Couple of posts up is a link to a discussion about my budget. :)

Its in the pre purchase area. Would be cool to pup in Korea