First time camping in Wisconsin 2020 suggestions

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by R2V2team, Jun 3, 2020.

1. R2V2team

R2V2team New Member

Hello everyone!
    We’re itching to use our pop up camper for the first time. Any suggestions for campgrounds in Wisconsin (since IL is not an option), with hookups?
    I’ve read some posts about the need to be “self-contained”. We have a port-a-potty and a privacy tent for and outdoor shower, so we won’t need restrooms. Would that be enough?
    Thanks!

nectarsis likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

There's a whole thread on what it means to be "self-contained." Everyone seems to have their own definition. Your best bet is to call the campgrounds to find out if what you have is acceptable. As far as suggestions, it would be helpful to know your camping style (KOA, boondocking, somewhere in between?), where you're located, and the distance you're willing to travel.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

No real good suggestions since our SP’s are STILL closed to camping [:(!]

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'd assume you are in Illinois? I believe the chequamegon national forest is open for dispersed camping which of course is on the nothern end of WI. There is a boon-docking section here but we'd call it "normal" camping where you best ask question concerning that.

5. BigAl

BigAl Active Member

WI state park campgrounds are supposed to open after this weekend, unless that changes: https://dnr.wi.gov/covid-19/ I just booked a state park campsite for June 26-28, so hoping they don't send my money back to me!

Assuming you're coming up from IL, check out the Kettle Moraine State Forest - Southern Unit or Bong Recreation Area. I haven't taken my popup to either one but did tent camp at both in the past. I'd stay away from Big Foot Beach in Lake Geneva - wasn't impressed.

6. R2V2team

R2V2team New Member

Thank you! We are the in the western suburbs of Chicago. Hoping to drive no more than 3 hours to get to a campground. We have kids but we’re Not looking for a KOA type place, mostly somewhere to relax, hike, go fishing, and mainly enjoy our camper and get out of the house!

7. BigAl

BigAl Active Member

Bong is by Kenosha coming up I-94 from Chicago so that's probably the closest. We didn't explore that one as much because we had little kids when we were there. Kettle Moraine is a bit further but still within your 3-hour range, it's on I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison. Lots of hiking trails and woods. If you want to head further west, Lake Kegonsa State Park is south of Madison off I-90; there's a nice beach and fishing spots.

You'll need to make reservations in advance plus get a state park admission pass or sticker, can't by them at the park office. You can get everything you need at dnr.wi.gov

neighbormike likes this.
  8. R2V2team

R2V2team New Member

Thank you! I didn’t realize we need a state park sticker too. I’m going to check the website.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. JoeW22

JoeW22 New Member

We stayed at the Playful Goose in Horicon. It was great..pool wasn't open at the time but we enjoyed in..several spots right on the river and there is a park right next to it with boat launch..kids were swimming there..also a disc golf course there..the CG has canoe and kayaks to rent also. Pictures was view half way from our site

Attached Files:

R2V2team and nectarsis like this.
  10. R2V2team

R2V2team New Member

Thank you! On your picture and the website it looks like a really nice place. I’ll call to check for availability. Would you recommend a site number?

11. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

From Geneva over here. Check out Governors Dodge and Blue Mound State Park. Also checkout http://www.blackhawklake.com/Home.html

We just booked two sites there in a few weeks.

edit: you do need a state park sticker.

nectarsis and R2V2team like this.
  12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I’ve spent some time in Hayward. Is there dispersed camping in the National Forest north of there?

13. JoeW22

JoeW22 New Member

We were in 221 but any of them by the river are great..depends on if you need 30 amp like we did for ac

R2V2team likes this.
  14. R2V2team

R2V2team New Member

No AC, so I guess any would work. Thanks again!

15. Tdelong515

Tdelong515 New Member

Jelly stone in Caledonia is great,especially for kids. Has a clean lake and beach( man made), pool and tiny water park, restaurant, pedal buggies for the kids to drive around the camp site, nice showers and bathroom, and the best part.....a huge blow up obstacle course in the lake. My 8 and 16 yr old both loved it. And Caledonia is just north of Racine so maybe an hour/hour and a half drive for you.

R2V2team and JoeW22 like this.
  16. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Council Grounds State Park near Wausaw. All sites are electric. Fishing, swimming, kayak rentals.

R2V2team likes this.