First time in a pop up, issue during first 3 minutes.

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mkoser, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mkoser

mkoser New Member

Hello,

The family and I took our 86 Palomino on an almost 900 mile trip for the first time this weekend! Things went great, for camping with a pop-up for the first time.

We did have some "neighbors" that pretty much drove me crazy. I'm not good with confrontation, so I just let it all go.
    Here is what happened.

Our tow vehicle is a 2005 completely stock EVERYTHING (including exhaust) mint condition Ford F350 diesel pickup.

As we were pulling into our spot at 3:00 in the afternoon, a middle age couple in a "Taj Mahal" style camper immediately came over to our spot and asked us if we could refrain from starting or moving our vehicle during the "hours of quiet time" as listed on a non-official printed piece of paper that I assume this couple had created.

I told them that I didn't see any reason why we'd be going anywhere between 10:00pm and 6:00am, but we'd try to keep quiet. The lady then said that she is really irritated at the sound of a diesel engine, and if we could try to limit the time we start the truck to go someplace, she'd appreciate that.

I said ok, and left.

About 20 minutes later, after the camper was set up, the lady came back over to our site and asked if our children (we have a 4 year old and a two year old) were "noisy children." I said that they are not typically loud, unruly kids. The lady then stated that she happened to know that there was a site open next to the bathrooms, and perhaps that would be a better location for us to camp. I stated that we were fine where we were, and we did not want to move. The lady then made some comment about how people spend a lot of money to get away from the hassles of everyday life....

After that, I was pretty mad. I decided to load up the family and go into town (in our BIG LOUD BELCHING truck) to get a dinner.

When we set up the camper, I was not aware that we had electrical at our site (never even thought to check). I was glad to see it (since i have to use a stupid CPAP machine) I plugged in our extension cord, into OUR outlet box (EACH site as their own outlet box.)

When we got back from dinner at about 8:00, I went to turn on the light in the camper. It was dead. I checked the switches, fuses, and bulb. All seemed good. I was afraid that the diode replacement in the transformer had failed. I then waked around to the outlet box and noticed that our camper cord was unplugged, and our "neighbor" had TWO cords plugged into OUR outlet box running to their campsite.

I was super angry. I unplugged one of their cords, and saw their awning lights go out. I plugged our camper in, and went back into to get the kids put down for bed.

A minute later a loud knock on the camper door revealed the man and woman at the door. They asked me why I had unplugged their cords.

I said because YOU unplugged mine, and I am simply using what I paid for.

The stated that they needed to plug in there, because their cord wasn't long enough to plug into their outlet box, and one of the outlets in their box was not working.

The lady then had the nerve to suggest that I go into town and buy a power strip so we could plug everything in. I told her I would NOT do this, and that she needed to leave our site, or I would call a warden.

Yesterday morning, we were in the showers getting ready to leave. While we were in the shower, the couple had loaded up and left. They left a note on our truck that said, "It is people like you that make campgrounds as bad as they are. We hope you learn how to get along with your neighbors in the future."

I swear. I've never had to deal with anything like this in my life. I am not embellishing, or changing the story in my favor at all.

MK

2. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

That is absolutely ridiculous. You were calmer that I probably would have been in that situation. It's sad that such situations have to come up at campgrounds when everyone is just trying to get away and relax.

3. PDieter

PDieter Member

that sounds like you took the blue pill in the red pill CG. ;)

There are whack jobs everywhere at any given moment, you drew the short stick this time. Maybe you've now paid your dues and will camp with somewhat normal neighbors from now on. If something like this happens again I'd find a shaman and have some chicken blood spread around that PUP to exercise it's bad mojo. Baring that time to Boondock.

4. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I would have blown a cork! [:(!] [}:)] You're a better person than myself! [;)]

5. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

I do not know how you managed to remain as calm as you did. I do not think I could of and I am a very easy person to get along with. I hope I never run into this couple but then I try to pick my sites so that I have space between me and the next site.

6. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

they never would have found her body.............

7. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Wow.....I'm an uber-friendly guy and pretty hard to offend but these folks would have pushed me over the edge. I don't treat others rudely and expect to be treated the same. You handled the situation better than I would have for sure.

I'd have taken the first conversation with a grain of salt. Who knows, maybe the people occupying the site before you came and went at all hours and were noisy about it. The second conversation, I'd have been a little irritated. I mean, kids are kids and they make a bit of noise, even when they're behaving well. That's just how it is. If these folks wanted absolute silence they should have gone boondocking. The cord thing would have made me see red. I'd have unplugged both of their cords and then put lock from my hitch coupler on the electrical box. They could go buy an extension cord if they needed one...not my problem.

8. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

The fact that you remained so calm makes you a nice person, if that had happened to us I would be concerned how my DH would have re-acted & what would have come out of his mouth!
    I really think you should put in a complaint about these campers, they should not be allowed to get away with that! I bet they are like that where ever they go!

9. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I'm usually a nice guy. But if that'd been me I would have:

a. Started my truck and let it run for an hour, then shut it off. Repeat every hour.
    b. Told the kids to run amok.

And especially c. Cut the ends off their cords with my handy Kleins.

Well, not really. I would have been mad and griping around my campsite.

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

1) WOW, a 900 mile trip on your maiden voyage ? Awesome !

2) It's people like you that make camping enjoyable for me, and I will be the first to admit that it's probably people like ME that make it miserable for others because I would never had the patience that you had with that couple. I probably would have told them a few choice words that would not have been pleasant for others to hear. And I would have unplugged ALL of their extension cords regardless if I needed to use the outlets and told them tough s**t, that they have their own outlet post they can use and it's not my problem if they can't reach it or it doesn't work............................. then I would have suggested that they move to the site near the bathrooms where the outlets worked and then they can park as close as they want to the electrical box. [:D]

11. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

clearly a couple that is made for each other. Totally not hooked up right!

Kudos for you not going all middle school on him. Taking the truck to dinner was classic. Hey, a little passive-aggressive outlet is healthy occassionaly!

The campsite neighbors will be good from now on out!

12. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

Wow, not sure what to say. Glad you were able to keep it together. I have to say that that is not the norm. It should change for you.

On the flip side, everytime we go to Colorado we run into someone with a connection to us! Very small world.

Last time out we ran into a couple next to us that lives about a mile from us.

Phil

13. BigDan

BigDan A bad day camping beats a good day at work

wow, i was getting angry just reading this. you my friend are a saint, i would have came off the rails on those people and i am probably the most calm person most people will ever meet.

14. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

There is no remedy for ignorance [:(]

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

DITTO
    I would have for sure at least told her to beat it and mind her own business .

16. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

There are nut jobs out there every where you go you handled it very well

17. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

I noticed how you said it was the woman doing all the complaining....What ya wanna bet her hubby is just a cowering fool...I feel sorrier for him......lol

18. Hutch85

Hutch85 Member

You handled it way better than I would have. :) Some people seem to have an exaggerated sense of self-entitlement at the expense of everyone else around them.

Might have been fun to start up the truck in the middle of the night to "recharge your trailer battery because they unplugged your cord"... [:D]

If she's irritated at the sound of diesels, she's going to have a hard time the rest of her life.... lady, if you happen to read this might I suggest some earplugs? Or at the very least, noise-cancelling headphones?

19. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Better yet a muzzle so the rest of us are not bothered by you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 5Patricks@13

5Patricks@13 New Member

Kudos to you for how you handled the situation! Have to plug in 2 cords???? What all did they have to have powered up all the time? [?:~{] They could have plugged in what they needed, when they needed it, and in my book, you don't need outside patio lights if you are trying to get away from it all. They could have at least explained their situation and asked if they could have used one of the plugs.........Sheesh! She sounds like someone who is never happy with anything!