First Time Out - Trip to Skidaway Island State Park, near Savannah, GA

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by ben31popup, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

We finally took out our new (to us) 1999 Coachmen Clipper 1290S. the pup worked well. The top still has some issues coming up (winch motor overheats and must be allowed to cool). All in all, we really enjoyed our first time out. My wife really liked having a toilet in the popup to use during the night. Personally, if it isn't raining, I prefer to take the walk. After years of tent camping, this is worlds better. Less time in setup and A WHOLE LOT LESS time taking down.

We did run into one issue. The Elixir-20 power converter started going. We left the A/C on, while we did some hiking. when we got back, we could smell some "electrical" overheating. No smoke of any kind, so I had time to search for the problem. To isolate the issue, I first turned off the refrigerator. No real change. Then, I opened up the power converter cover. Whew, it was HOT! It seemed the 20 amp breaker was the hottest, so I turned off the A/C. Since the cooling fan wasn't on, I guess it failed. We had a small room fan, so I pointed it at the panel. The smell was gone within 10 minutes. I got online and found that pretty much everyone says to replace it, I bought a new one. I'll put it in, within the next couple of weeks.

Even with the problems, we are hooked. light towing, with more amenities than tenting. We're looking forward to seeing you all.

2. loriwatjen

loriwatjen New Member

Welcome from NC!

3. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Welcome! Sorry to about the issues you had! Good that you were able to pinpoint them! Hope you enjoyed the park!

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Awesome but pictures or it didn't happen! [8D]

5. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

So you are replacing the cooling fan or the converter?

6. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

No fire, no problem! JK, glad to hear you were able to spot the problem before it spread. How was Skidaway Island park? We are camping there in about 3 weeks, and it will be our first time to GA, Savannah & Skidaway Island. I heard Savannah during Holloween is great, so we are looking forward to that! Any tips or pointers about the park / area would be greatly appriecated. What was your campsite number (if you remember) and did you like it?

Congrats on your pup!

DG

7. ben31popup

I replaced the whole converter. I put in a higher rated wf converter. I am glad I did, because after removing it, I took it apart to examine it. The shore power wire was melting near the power bar. The bolt holding it in place was corroded and introduced enough resistance to heat up the wire. It was a serious mess inside the old one (elixir-20). The new wf also has a main breaker, which should keep this from ever happening again.

Thanks for the welcome. We're headed back out this weekend. We will try some cold weather mods and let you all know how they go.

I will post pictures, as soon as I figure out how.

Ben

8. ben31popup

Found it (hopefully) - nope, I guess it doesn't like dropbox images. Photobucket works!

[​IMG]

9. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Glad you got the converter problem figured out have fun with the new rig :)

10. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Does the winch run thru the converter or straight off the battery? Just wondering if that had anything to do with winch motor overheating. Not a electrician so just a thought.

11. ben31popup

No, the problem was, the ac was on and pulled lots of power through that bad connection. No worries now.

The winch can run off either, as far as I can tell from the wiring. It is in line with the battery charging cable from the converter. Therefore, it works off the battery, but can also run off the power coming from the converter. Don't know when i'd run it off the converter, since the connection to that is supposed to be cut when I fold out the sink (disconnects dc power from the rest of the camper). I haven't yet traced all the wires. I am thinking of updating some of the wiring at some point, because some of it is looking pretty old. We'll see when I can get some time to do it.

Thanks again all!