First time out with New 2015 Roo 23SS

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Davylee, May 28, 2014.

1. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

So picked up our new camper last Tuesday through RVDirect in Albany, NY (Positive Review). Loaded the camper on Wednesday and used all functions to double verify operation. I modified the fridge since it has a anti condensation heater that is always on and is big battery draw. Headed to the campground on Friday. Had a good weekend. Nothing drastic happened. We have the electric awning and I was outside and was able to verify the "auto dump" feature during one rain shower. Did get some condensation in the back bunk end (not as open as the front) forgot to use the bunk fan and it was down to 48 deg. This was a dry camping campground. The camp host said when I come up again I can fill my water tank at his site instead of using the water thief on the non threaded faucets in the CG (which flow at a slower rate). Used the oven for breakfast 2 out of 3 days. Instead of a pizza stone as a heat diffuser we used a small "air bake" cookie sheet from Wally world. The biscuits and the breakfast casserole came out fine, no uneven heat indications on either. Happy with the camper and all the amenities.

[​IMG]

2. rsdata

rsdata Member

You covered a few interesting subjects here... since I just picked up a Shamrock 183 I suspect I have the same fridge... what exactly was the mod to the fridge if you don't mind me asking?

I did not know about an auto rain dump feature of the electric awning... just put it out normally and it dumps?

I did not know that the bunk fans were for anything other than a slight breeze, but I guess moving air in cool weather to prevent condensation is a plus. I almost always had a fan blowing up in the pup, if for nothing more than white noise, as my partner snores... and have never had condensation, but now with a bigger hybrid keeping my snoring partner further away, I had not thought about possible condensation. We do much of our camping in the fall and winter (down south), so cooler weather is the norm for us.

And a heat diffuser for the oven... I can understand that.

Thanks for the information...

3. Davylee

The mod to the fridge. I have a Dometic 2562? At work so I don't remember for sure. Anyways where the light is I the fridge there are two red wires, the thicker one is for the condensation heater. I cut it and put a couple of crimp on connectors on the wires so if I was on electric and had condensation problems between the fridge and the freezer I could plug it back in. If your trailer is new then and a Dometic fridge most likely the climate control switch (at the top of the fridge underneath the frame) is no longer there. Dometic decided to save the money on installing and wiring the switch. If you search online you can find the mod.

Awning was put out like normal. When enough rain falls it will dump the water to either the right or left side because the sides are not locked in. You can lock a side down to a steeper angle to prevent the auto dump and put the water where you want it.

As for the condensation, PUGS and or solar blankets will help with condensation as well as exhausting the air. You can also use your roof fan on low but I think that draws more power than a bunk fan. I haven't measured it yet.

And the air baking sheet or pizza stone is because the oven burner is right in the center under a cover. That cover is only 4" or so from the shelf where you would put things so not much room for the heat to expand to the side and it tends to cook the middle quicker than the edges.

If you have a furnace or oven make sure and use them at home first. The furnace will set off the smoke alarm when it is first used : )

4. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I use a tower fan in back ledge corner. It works perfect for air circulation.

5. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Great looking camper, and I love the campsite also. So clean and well set up and the scenery looks awesome. Congrats on the new camper and have fun. How do you like towing with the Ford? I just bought a used 2011 F150 and have yet to tow with it. Haven't been camping yet this season due to an on going kitchen remodel at home. Not sure I'll ever get this thing done [:(].

6. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

Congrats! Can't wait to see the new rig!!!

Pixel

7. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Looks great. I too can't wait to see it in July. I am curious to see how different it is to my 2012.

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Great info. I've had the 233s for over a year and didn't know about the heater in the fridge. I'll have to take a look at mine to see if that's in it.

I don't do the auto dump awning thing. I like to lower one end so I'm in control of where the water goes.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Congrats Dave. Looks very nice.

10. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

This may seem like a silly question, but how do you manually lower one end on an electric awning? We have a Jayco 23B with an electric Carefree awning and have always just opened it as is and let it do the auto-dump thing. But I think we would like to lower a side if we could instead when it is raining. Ours auto-dumps on the door side which is not my favorite.

11. Davylee

There is a knob on the frame for both ends. once you tilt the awning you tighten the knob. Of course once you do that you cannot retract the awning electrically. And since it is electric it also has a dump feature, when enough water builds up on the awning it will dump to one side or the other. I actually tilt the awning the way I want the water to dump.

Thanks all. Shemily, Pixel, StormTrooper see you in 10 days. I won't forget your beer Lou [:)O]

12. Heady

Heady Active Member

Congrats!!

13. upwings

upwings New Member

The wife and I are seriously thinking of getting one of these!

14. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Do it Upswing! They are nice units

15. upwings

upwings New Member

Went and looked at another 23SS that was alot closer to us this weekend and put a deposit down on it. I am still a little leery about towing a high profile trailer, as opposed to the popup. I had never towed much of anything before the pup, I suppose I will adjust. The Jeep will no longer be an option for our camping trips as the 23SS is well over the tow limit. The Ram 2500 crew cab long bed should be more than up to the task though!!

16. RockyRoo

With a truck like that you will adjust quickly. It is a good chunk of trailer but my half ton handles a 233s just fine. Once you get used to not using your rearview mirror and the hit in gas mileage you will be happy you made the move. They tow very nicely and manuever much better than a shorter wheelbase pup.

17. upwings

upwings New Member

I always deal with not using the rearview mirror. I drive a Wrangler with a 35" tire sitting right in my mirror and I can't see much out the rear window. The truck is actually the wife's DD. I do think it will be fine and I'm just going to have to get used to it.

18. RockyRoo

I assure you this won't be as torturous as you think. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] It will actually come as a very easy adjustment. A couple recommendations though if you haven't already:

A) Add the slide out topper if it doesn't already have it

B) plan on gizmo's and window inserts, they make a huge difference in my Roo in both hot and cold weather.

19. upwings

upwings New Member

I figure it will be a quick adjustment.. thanks for the word of encouragement!!!

I'll have to check on your suggestions. I had a popup and never had gizmos. I wondered about the slide topper. I don't recall if it had one.