First time out with our first camper

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by clif and sandra, Jun 3, 2019.

1. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

Had some things I was concerned about screwing up. But those didn't happen. I backed it in to the space on the passenger side in about 15 minutes if that. Was worried about interstate travel and feeling the camper behind us. Nope. Was worried the gizmos may be a bit of a pain time wise or maybe not enough for the a/c to keep us cool (especially once I saw the site Sandi picked out). Nope it about froze us out on low @88 degrees. Here's what didn't go smoothly. Hooked up the water and turned on the sink faucet so I could get the flow rate right (IDK just seemed like a good idea). Sink filled up but wouldn't drain. Thought maybe I broke something during transit. Day 2 finally remembered to remove the drain cap. However the exterior hanging thing with the valve has a split in it. So it sprays when water pressure backs up. Site was picked out by my wife and it was full sun lol. No problem, I'll just finally get to try out my MacGyvered awning I designed (couldn't during yard camping). But... Freaking forgot to install it before raising the popup and setting up the bunkends and door. Also, I still have no idea how to make the hot water heater work or if it even does. And do I wash and rinse dishes one at a time? Is that the best way?? All of that considered we've had an AMAZING time and just purchased an extra day. Sat- wed. Our first air conditioned, cooked breakfast and coffee at the little table was incredible after tent camping for almost 30 years. WE'RE HOOKED.

2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful! Glad no serious issues and the minor stuff will get fixed in time.
    Enjoy you trip!

clif and sandra likes this.
  3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

it took us a good year to figure out all the nuances of popup camping - we made some mistakes and it took us awhile to figure out better ways to do things - our big moment of this is sooo much better than tents was our first rain storm. It hit at dinner time - so we were inside the camper eating dinner and playing board games as it poured buckets with lightening/thunder outside, yep - much better than tents.

campfire Joe and clif and sandra like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Glad y'all had a great trip. Do not fret about a few small mistakes, it is all in the learning curve and getting a routine set. I use and have used check off sheets because after all these years i still forget things. Just take your time to learn and enjoy the unit. Every day camping is an adventure and always make great memories. Good Luck and Keep on camping

clif and sandra likes this.