First time popup buyer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by killj0y, Apr 24, 2012.

1. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Just looking for advice and what to look at. Eyeballing a 95 Coleman Utah

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/cto/2964359897.html

Can the experienced shoot me any tips on problem areas to look at. Obvious signs of damage aside and of course that roof that I've been reading about, is there any caveats? Tow rig will be my 96 ranger [:D]

Also is 2k a fair price assuming everything looks legit? From the research I've done it seems the storage box on the front is missing, did it not come with one? whats a fair amount to haggle for things like that? or is this really rock bottom pricing for this tier of popup. I've kinda made up my mind on this one the rest in my area are like palominos and a little too small. Its just me and the wife but we'd like to be able invite family as we travel together a lot.

Also recommended maintenance? Treating the material? I've heard about rhino lining or something of the sort the roof as preventative, things like that. Gonna check it out this weekend.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy camping, enjoy. Sounds like you have been doing your [RTM] . Look at it well, check for bad wood and water damage. Good luck. [CP]

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Welcome from Oklahoma.

The roof is not an ABS so that is good, but check for signs of it may have leaked at any point. Roof repairs can be done easily, but signs of it can give you haggle room.
    Since you live in the RG Valley, I would check the underside for salt damage.
    If a system doesn't work, like water, etc. you have haggle room.
    Not all models had the front storage box.
    Look the canvas over.
    Ask when the tires have been replaced. Rubber tires need to be replaced 5-10 years regardless of use.
    You will need to add a propane tank and battery it looks like.

I hope this helps. Others may have things to add too. Happy camping....on the beach???

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Another Oklahoma welcome.! Check the roof & floor for soft spots. Ask when the lift posts, wiffletree & bearings were lubed. You can look on the tires for a date. If everything works, probably a fair price. Happy camping.

5. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Welcome from Southern California!

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That particular model year will NOT have the ABS roof, so you don't need to worry about that specifically; frankly, even if it did (if you end up looking at newer ones with the ABS) if it hasn't shown signs of defect at this point, I wouldn't give it too much thought.

In RE to the front storage bin, they didn't start putting that on the Utah until later model years.....so, it's not missing.

Also, do you know the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the p'up....you'll want to know that to know if your TV is capable. In RE to you TV, you'll want to look at your towing capacity as noted in the owners manual, as well as your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). You do not want to exceed either....usuall, in reality, the listed GVWR isn't your true capacity; you will generally find your true capacity to be less than what is listed in the manual because that listed number often does not take into account the weight of gas, people, and other items in the vehicle. Just something to be aware of while you're shopping.

7. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Cool good tips and pretty much what I've been reading. There's a wealth of info on this forum.

Ok so the propane tank is no biggie we got like 10 and if not we can buy one. Same goes for the batteries. I'm a big fixer upper, and we got most things to fix this thing except a tig welder only got arc lol. The only salt we see down here is at the island and frankly it's rarely a problem unless you live there. But in any case I'll be checking it out.

So if the roof is damaged it's fiberglass as I understand it, so I can patch it and paint, correct? Man I would love to haggle it down since that's upper budget atm, and we still need a hitch, since I just lifted the ranger 5in lol.

8. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I 2nd what Wolfman said about GVWR. Also a tow pkg will not just be a hitch. A second radiator is needed to keep the engine cool while it is pulling an extra heavy load. So make sure whatever PUP you pick, your ranger can pull it.

It is flat in the McAllen/RGV area so brakes are not a huge big an issue unless you go to hill country.

I would just check the frame to see if it is solid, with or without rust because of the age of the PUP. The reason I am saying this is I lived in Brownsville for 6 years. Salt is in the air in the RGV.

The seller said the AC works, I would have him show you. That is a must for our camping and I know it will be for yours.

9. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Re: Re: First time popup buyer

Yea I plan on having him set it up and break it down run ac possibly set up the water hose to check for leaks. Well my ranger runs too cold must guys put cardboard on the rad to get better mileage. I know it well run fine with less than half the water in the rad. But I'll keep an eye on those temps. it's a manual so not too many worries with that. I think this model has trailer brakes correct? How hard is it to hook up to the truck?

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

In RE to the tranny cooler, you may or may not need one. That was something I was really worried about because I heard so much in RE to it being an absolute necessity. I talked to several trailer/hauling companies and ultimately felt pretty comfortable with what I had stock in my TV. The message I got from these various professionals was that a big, heavy duty tranny cooler would most likely be overkill for how often I was going to be towing. They generally recommended if I was going to be, basically, on the road towing on a daily basis all summer or touring i should consider getting one....but a few trips here and there, even long distance ones, it would be overkill. To boot (and I don't think you'll have this problem with the age of your vehicle)....but I was told by my dealership that if I put any kind of tranny cooler on the vehicle it would immediately void my 100,000 mile power train warranty.....so obviously, it was a no brainer for us.

11. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Yea kinda how I figured, ill probably get one down the line just because I do take it offroad at times. But for now I feel its fine besides it is a manual so not as picky or delicate as an auto. And rofl 100,000 miles? My odometer died at 160,000 and that was probably at least 6 years ago! Lol I'm good this truck is well built 8);D

12. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Looks like he reposted it for 1800 put more pics and info gonna go see it today, I think the max I can spend on it might be 1500 without going way off budget...

13. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Ok so I went to look at it and it was trashed most likely beyond repair, I wouldn't have even paid 500.

I went to see a 98 viking and it looked pretty good, a fixer upper for sure but no electricity due to the seller not having an adapter.

Will the electricals run off a car battery? Also the corner by the door in the rear is fallen, to where the door won't seal would this simply be a matter of adding reinforcments to prop it up? Or is it a headache waiting to happen?

Also the other major concern was a hole clean through the roofin the same corner where at a glance the roof looks like the aluminum is peeled back likely from hitting something but since its aluminum I figured some foam sealer and a patch job provided that wall isn't horrble.

He was asking 1350, then went down tp 1000, then 800. So I think I can get it lower since I wasn't even haggling it was all of his own accord. What do you guys think that frees up money to spiffy it up a bit.

Ill get pics when I go see it again, but initially everything else looks good. Any advice or caveats?

14. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Can someone please chime in since I'll likely be going tomorrow or Friday? :(

15. killj0y

killj0y New Member

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/cto/2935118203.html

This is the one but it's been sitting out a bit.

16. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

From your description of the last one, look more carefully. The hole in the roof (from an accident) may have been left out in the rain and caused some floor rot issues. Or, the accident may have been something falling on the trailer (or hitting) and bending the frame causing the alignment issues. Look underneath!

For the electrical, most of the system is 12v and you should have a battery on the trailer. You don't want to run if off your tow vehicle (TV) - you will kill your battery and no be able to start your TV! You need 120vac to run an air conditioner (and to charge your battery).

17. killj0y

killj0y New Member

I plan too but as my budget is small I'm probably looking at a fixer upper. I am handy with fixing things I just want to know if it is fixable. Max we can really afford to spend is 1500 and so far there isn't even any below 3000 and frankly it would have to be a local buy. The problem is there is only about 3 or 4 up for purchase and so far mostly in rough condition for double my budget. But at 500 to 800 that leaves room for repairs.

Anyways I just wanted to know how I can test the ac with no adapter :( I don't want to buy it blindly. Also the unit is metallic so I'm assuming it's missing the shroud will that be a major problem?

From the looks of the quarter panel I can lift and enforce to realign if it isn't just sitting wrong.

couldn't see major water damage anywhere but I'll look better :(

18. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Do you know anyone with a 2500 to 3000watt generator that you could borrow for an hour? I don't have A/C so I'm not sure what you mean by "metallic or missing the shroud". Even at 500 or 800 (assuming no wood rot) I would say you are doing pretty good without a working A/C. The canvas look good but look closely at the stitching and the zippers (my zippers were all bad).

Also, have them lower and raise the roof so you can see if the lift system is working ok.

19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Virginia

20. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Ask if you can raise and lower the roof and put the door in. When you do this you will have a better idea what shape it is in. You might be able to go get an adapter from WM and take it with you to check the electricity. You may not be able to check the AC with it, but you can check the other electrical. We have an adapter and use it when we are plugged into the house for camp driveway (W/out AC) or for loading unloading on hot days. I wouldn't run the AC a long time that way at our home.