First time popup buyer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by killj0y, Apr 24, 2012.

1. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Re: Re: First time popup buyer

I'm assuming wm means Walmart. So even with an adapter I can't check the ac? What about Lowes? what's the name of that type of plug? So that corner can be bent back into shape? Also door is on it, couldn't see obvious signs of rot. Tried several zippers and they all worked good.

2. killj0y

killj0y New Member

any idea? i knew i should've taken a picture of that stupid plug lol. There is a camping world sorta nearbyb too, i looked on their website but cannot find any plug adapters am i looking incorrectly? :(

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Yes, WM = Walmart Our PO (Previous Owner) gave us his.

For the plug, I believe this is what you need.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Power-30-15-Amp-RV-Power-Adapter/16817349?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

Note the 30 is female and the 15V is maie. Then attach an extension cord and connect to a grounded house outlet.

Checking the AC is up to the seller. I'm not an expert by any means, but my guess is it will pull a lot of energy from his house. But if he wants to sell it, he may need to do this. It tripped our breaker one time when we ran it for awhile or if we used other things and it overloaded the system. I can't remember, but it only did it once.

4. killj0y

killj0y New Member

just went crazy looking and just found out what it was and home depot has some, and yea the seller will likely plug it in, i just need to see if it powers up and cools, if it does then terrific :) if it doesnt then boo might not be worth much but then i can think about getting it for even less. how much do one of those units run? And do you know if the 98 viking ran off a 30 amp or 50 amp?

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

It would be safe to say all PUPs run off of 30 AMP. I have never heard of one that didn't.

If this one isn't it, don't worry others will come along. Wait for the right one. Many of us on this forum kicked a lot of tires before we found the right one for us.

6. killj0y

killj0y New Member

The owners manual says its a shoreline connection.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100142739/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=30+amp+to+15+amp&storeId=10051

Will this do for a brief test? Just wanna know before i run around town lol.

7. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I think it will. That looks like ours only ours is black. The good thing is it can be used later. Also it didn't break the bank.

Good luck.

8. killj0y

killj0y New Member

awesome, with that i can knock out one possible "if", now about the rear deck sag...hmm any other advice? anyone encounter this? The opposite side is solid, its just that one corner and the sheetmetal on the rear is loose...reattaching is no biggie i just wanna know if i can "fix" it somehow or is that a major structural part that just means its only fit for the dump (which the guy said he'd like to avoid lol kinda why i figured he was quick to drop the price to sell.)

9. killj0y

killj0y New Member

darn looks like walmart is closer and has it, boo i havent gone in there in years lol. I'm not a fan of walmart but i have a feeling i better become one real soon lol.

10. killj0y

killj0y New Member

ps the door was already in but like i said the one corner doesnt line up with the door :( but i'm gonna try electricals, raiseing it and lowering it, and im gonna slip a juck under the sagging section to see whats going on. I'll get a better look at the roof hole when its lowered. cross your fingers! :D cuz if this one doesnt work out then its a no go for a while :'(

11. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Do not buy any PUP with out raising it putting the door in and lowering it yourself. To me, that would be a deal breaker.

12. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Oh yea lol. Like I said I plan to before plunking anything down. I'm just hopeful even though it's rough in some spots

13. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Well I'm feeling discouraged. The wife kinda wants one that's ready to go like dealership quality and I don't blame her I do too. But I don't think its gonna happen on our bugdet, and it would take another year to get that kinda money together.

Bah I just don't know what to do except give up for a while I just can't see finding a go camping ready PUP for around 1500 that meets our requirments. So who knows this might have been a big waste of time and gas. :'(

14. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

It was 11 years for us. Most people it isn't that long, but it will happen. Before we bought our own we borrowed (No AC [SUN] [:(O]), then we rented and knew we wanted one. A couple years later I found the model I first liked 11 years ago. It was garaged kept, and in great shape, not perfect, but it was ready to go. We paid 3 grand for it. It is a huge PUP and was one of the top of the line Jaycos when it came out. Don't be discouraged. You don't want a lemon!!!

15. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

Killjoy, go to camperfinds.com and see if this willl offer more possibilities for you to find something. Hang in there [RTM]

16. killj0y

killj0y New Member

Yea I looked in there but no luck. Since where I live is more of a destination I guess there isn't a huge amount of camper owners looking to sell.

And I know I don't want a lemon but man I just don't see finding a really good one at that price. I'm used to buying ok things and fixing them or upgrading them. Lol its what I do.

We'll see, I'll keep an eye out but not getting my hopes up.

17. killj0y

killj0y New Member

18. killj0y

killj0y New Member

nevermind he wont budge on price [V] and has a lot of minor details that need addressing mostly cosmetic. not worth the 8 hour round trip that would likely cost me 150 dollars in gas alone. I'd be a buyer at 1500 especially considering the details and no a/c.

19. killj0y

killj0y New Member

nothing below 4000 really. What do you guys think of this one?

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/rvs/2973377665.html

its closer to me lol

Ok nevermind wife thinks it look old and ugly even though it is newer than the previous one lol.
    Seriously? Think she is really attached to the coleman models...ugh.