First Time Repacking Bearings

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Bigantlers, May 17, 2019.

1. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

This is my first time repacking the bearings and I'd like to know if anyone sees any problems in the posted pic:
    IMG-1932.JPG

2. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

Also, can I use brake cleaner on everything in there? Will it interfere with the electrical components?

3. syoungs

syoungs New Member

I dont see anything glaringly obvious on your spindle there. Are there any rough spots. Grooves etc where the bearing will ride?

You can use brake cleaner to clean the spindle and area around it. I try not to drench any of the magnetic brake components or wiring though.

4. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

Spindles look nice and shiny. Races look good. I'm replacing the bearings because I did have damage on one side. I'm putting Timiken's back in.

I sprayed everything down with a special cleaner that can be used safely on electrical components. Autozone didn't want me to use brake cleaner. I'll post a pic of what it looks like cleaned up.

I didn't realize that the brake "pad" was the oval looking thing on the bottom. Do those ever wear out?

I painted the hubs as well with caliper paint and they turned out awesome. Ill post a pic of that also.

I'm going to order a set of black lug nuts to top it off and maybe paint the rims next year, maybe...

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Did the guy at Autozone tell you that? Technically, there are no brake pads in this photo. You have brake shoes on the front and back of the spindle. They look like a "(" and ")".

The oval shaped device is the electric component that makes the shoes expand to slow you down.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Does the Zerk fitting feed the hole on the end of the axle, right behind the Zerk fitting or is the hole for the cotter pin? Looks big for a cotter pin hole.

7. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

@kcsa75 : No he didn't, that was an assumption on my part based on the looks of things but after more thought, I'm probably assuming based on the looks of the shoes that they aren't being used. But of course looking at the hubs, they are being used. I just didn't realize that the magnet also comes in contact with the hub.

And there is not technicality, you are correct, they aren't pads. Thankfully I don't do my brakes often enough to remember!

On another note, where would I go to get a replacement brake kit for my trailer? Are these parts commonly available?

Here are some pics of what things look like now after cleaning:
    IMG-1944.JPG IMG-1945.JPG IMG-1946.JPG IMG-1947.JPG

@WrkrBee : The hole is for the cotter pin, not grease delivery. As for the size, the castle nut was snug, pin secure and there was no play in the wheel before I disassembled.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Obviously, I don't have a real high opinion of Autozone. Been a couple local stores and my 10-year-old grandson was more knowledgeable. ;)

I would think you could get parts at your local auto parts store, i.e. Napa, Carquest, Advance, etc. But if not, eTrailer.com would have what you need. They are very good. You can give them a call, tell them what you have and they will fix you up.

Garrity likes this.
  9. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I've never seen an EZ-lube spindle with a hole for the cotter pin... when you pump grease through that zerk fitting on the end, does it come out through the bearings?

10. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

@ezakoske : The channel for the pin is not through the center of the spindle but rather to the side.

I've never used the zerk nor do I plan to. I'll eyeball it myself next year.

11. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Got it. I have the EZ-Lube on my boat trailer and love it. I wish I had it on my pop-up also.

12. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

I discussed it with my father because, like you, he has them on his boat trailer. His point was that it was all about the bearings going into the water and the likelihood that it could cause a problem. Since camper bearings don't get exposed to water in the same way, it may not justify the extra cost.

That seems to be the prevailing wisdom when you look on the Interweb. It all comes down to personal preference. In the future, my preferences may change. I imagine the Cali heat you experience as well as the longer season has something to do with your choice. I assume you get blessed with a longer camping season. [SUN]

ezakoske likes this.
  13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Yes.

etrailer.com has all of them.

Lots of people just order new hubs for $90 each, and it comes will all the parts. But the brakes are like $15 each, and are pretty easy to replace.

14. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Are the drums supposed to be rubbing on the magnetic actuator?? That doesn't seem right, based on traditional hydraulic drum brakes. But I have never serviced electric trailer brakes.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

Yes it is.

There's actually a great video on Youtube that explains how the rotation of the hub and the magnet contacting it actually increases the pressure applied to the shoes.

I thought it was perty neat!

Milemaker13 likes this.
  16. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

The earliest wear on the spindle is usually galling on the underside, near the threads.