First time winterizing camper

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jrv07, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jrv07

Jrv07 New Member

Winter is just around the corner. Just wondering what I'm supposed to do all to winterize my pop-up camper? On a side note I'm planning on sanding some of the frame painting it and putting fluid film on before winter. Just wondering if you can put anything on the wooden floor to help preserve it from rotting? Thanks

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, storage time is coming, its sad.....

First off, don't coat the floor. There are many threads and opinions on this subject, but in short, you will trap moisture in and rot the floor faster.

It depends if you have a plumbing system that needs to be taken care of. Blow out the lines and put in antifreeze, (lots of threads on those procedures). Remove the battery and take it indoors for the winter, charging it a few times over the winter months. Make sure all food of every kind is removed to prevent mice from moving in. Plug all holes under neath with steel wool or silicone to prevent mice. Cover the fridge vents and furnace exhaust, again for mice and also wasps. Jack it up and put it on blocks to get the weight off the tires.

3. nickap

nickap Member

An additional step that we always do is take out all the soft stuff from the camper (mattresses, cushions etc.) and store it indoors. That way if the mice do get in, the damage they can do is limited.

Artist60164 likes this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

View attachment 55722
    And get yourself a box of Fresh Cab, the best stuff we've found for keeping critters out of the camper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bo...rds=fresh+cab&qid=1569691367&s=gateway&sr=8-3

71b5yRDfqtL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Fresh Cab works for us as well...I put a container of Damp Rid in a small plastic tub on the camper floor also just prior to closing up...

6. fredhead

fredhead Member

If you have the toilet cassette, don't forget to drain both of the tanks.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

And then run the pump on the cassett dry or pump in some anti freeze.

8. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I stuff every cupboard, drawer, and crevice I can find of my camper with Bounce-brand dryer sheets. I've been doing that for years and never had a mouse problem, and I park in a farm in Iowa :)

Make sure you jack the front end either up or down so that as snow melts it will run off and lessen the weight on the roof. Before I got covered parking, I would shovel the snow off the roof anytime it got deeper than 6 inches also to keep the weight down.

I bought a cheap battery maintainer (aka trickle charger) off Amazon and hook that up to my batteries in my furnace room in my house. That keeps them charged all winter long without having to remember to charge once in a while. Make sure you wrap your battery terminals on the pup to keep the moisture off so they don't corrode or rust.

Make sure you're using RV antifreeze (the pink stuff), not regular automotive antifreeze. I pour some in the tank then run the pump on both hot and cold at each faucet (I have the outdoor shower plus the kitchen sink) to get all the lines full. If your hot water heater has a bypass, drain it first, then enable the bypass before running the antifreeze through.

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pommom70, Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

What? You guys just quit in the winter???

campfire Joe likes this.
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Ha ha, I've heard that logic before. But I've never had an issue. Maybe it's something to do with the Bounce-brand scent over the generic dollar store variety?

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Worked for me too, put some under the hood of the John Deere, no nesting/wire chewing etc, dang scent was super strong...I use Fresh Cab & peppermint oil cotton balls in the camper, no probs, any possible entry I stuffed w/ steel wool, so far so good, but anything can happen lol

Dback2k4 likes this.