First timer in NJ

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Macbrun, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Tedscilla

Tedscilla New Member

Oh, no doubt! Some of my favorite weeks were the ones when I'd throw my tent in my backpack and head out in the Cascades for a week of lone bliss!

But now I'm getting older and getting off the ground is a bit more work, so My wife and I bought a Coleman pop-up (1992 Cedar). We went on our maiden voyage on the 26th, 27th, and 28th of August to Fort Ebey Campground over on Whidbey Island. My birthday is the 8th, and we have reservations over at Deception Pass. (We can't seem to stay away from Whidbey!)

Where did you backpack? Ever do the Devil's Dome/Jackita Ridge loop or the Chilliwack Valley/Copper Ridge Loop? Good hikes!

2. Tedscilla

Tedscilla New Member

I should have known that the pop up crowd would have the friendliest voices! Thank you all for the welcome!

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. sceri

sceri Active Member

Two great campgrounds. We book Deception Pass just about every year now for the past 20+ years. We just camped Heart O' the Hills campground this past Labor Day. First time there. It's a first-come-first-serve, but it's nice. Very very quite. This is the campground 12 miles down from Hurricane Ridge summit....

Backpack camping in Spray Park on Mount Rainer is beautiful. It's a hell of a hike, but the views are unbelievable. Part of the trail is actually part of the Wonderland Trail. A good place to start the hike is from the Mowich Lake walk-in campground. Very very beautiful lake in it's own right; maybe the most beautiful on the mountain some say. It's a walk in campground, but to even get to the Mowich entrance parking lot you need to travel a very very rough unpaved, "State Highway 165". Not sure now they call that a State Highway. The Carbon River off the Carbon Glacier area of Mount Rainier is the best side of the mountain IMO. It's absolutely breath taking....

Another great day hike you can take is off the I-90 corridor west of Snoqualmie Falls to Melakwa Lake. You enter the Alpine Lakes Wilderness through old Hemlock Forrest. It's about a 9 mile round trip with an elevation gain of about 2300 ft. The alpine lakes in this area are unbelievable. The upper lake here is the best. Word can't describe the views. It's been years since I've hiked it though....

Anyway, I have tons more, but those two just came to mind when reading this thread. Sorry to be so wind-bagged….

4. sceri

sceri Active Member

Oh and welcome to the forum from the Great Pacific Northwest....