First Timer who needs some help!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Corey Sanchez, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Corey Sanchez

Corey Sanchez New Member

Howdy!

My wife and I just purchased a 1989 Coleman Laramie as our starter pop up. We are long time tenters who are excited about our new chapter. However, it didn't take long after getting her home before we knew we needed some help. Hence why I am here.

Our first issue is that upon getting her home we noticed a burn hole in the canvas from the interior light. This was not present when we first viewed it from our seller. Actually, the reason we bought her is that for her age the canvas was great and had probably been replaced.

I am trying to deduce the problem here. My first guess is that our seller had the light on when he cranked her down after showing it to us. It was plugged in in his shop and he did have the interior lights on when showing.

My second guess is more cynical. Obviously I am a novice at towing. It took a few tries to back her up in my driveway. I smelled some light burning which I thought was from my clutch in my Expedition. Seems likely. I really hope there is no way the interior lights could've come on from the trailer lights. That would be a rabbit hole issue.

If anyone has any experience with this and can help me solve this mystery, I would really appreciate it.

Happy Camping,
    Corey

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Find the galley kill switch and be sure it works. The switch cuts off power to lights when the galley is folded down to prevent stuff like this. They wear out or get removed...

Hope it's something that simple!

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Or by-passed and jumped.

Corey Sanchez likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Then switch to LEDs.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

My old 1990 Jayco never came with a kill switch and sadly we also learned the hard way how ridiculously hot incandescent lights get thankfully it only stained the canvas.
    I also suggest to look into LED lights and if your camper doesn’t have a kill switch maybe look into making one.

6. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

led led led.

well like everyone else has already said - virtually all pups have a switch that engages the electrical - at least the 12 volt. that switch is (usually on older pups) located on the top of the bottom half of the kitchen galley. so when you are setting up your pup, that moment when you pick up the top half of the kitchen galley to swing it up into it's proper position above the lower part of the galley - there is a switch that gets depressed then where the two halves come together. that switch can go bad and leave the 12 volt running - and if you left your ceiling light on then you get what you just experienced. if you put LEDs, even if there is a malfunction with the switch or you forget to turn the light off, your camper won't burn.

you are lucky that's all that happened to your pup

welcome to the portal :)

7. Annunzi

Annunzi Member Gold Supporting Member

On our old trailer, the old incadacent lights stayed hot for while after they were turned off. So if the seller turned the lights off right before taking down the pup, there's a good chance they would have retained enough heat to burn the canvas.

8. Corey Sanchez

Corey Sanchez New Member

Thank you all for your input! I will definitely switch to LEDs ASAP.

I'll also try to figure out the kill switch issue. It's snowing here the next few days so I will have to wait.

I was just particularly frustrated because it was a surprise. I told my seller and he was very apologetic and felt horrible, which is about the best I could have hoped for. I don't think he realized how hot that incandescent bulb was. Ultimately, like Indiobravo said, I am lucky that is all that happened.

9. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

In our aliner under the light switch it has a decal that states to wait a few minutes after turning off the lights, before putting down the top. So, seems to me they know how hot those lights are, after all these years of building campers, all these companies should have had led's installed in the first place.

10. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

LED's have only recently become cheap enough to use in such a capacity.

Susan Premo likes this.
  11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Welcome to pup ownership.

12. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Like your name!

13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 camper that came with all LEDs, inside and out. The insides are so bright we had to downgrade some of them. :)

Susan Premo likes this.
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I bought a dimmer for my outside awning lights. They were impossible to use unless I needed a helicopter to land.

Susan Premo likes this.