First trip a success

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Michi Gander, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Michi Gander

Michi Gander New Member

Our first trip out with our PUP was IMHO a success. A couple minor glitches, but overall not too bad. Slept like a rock!

A couple of questions came up....

The drop from the floor of the PUP to the step is a doozy, even the dogs don't like it. We're thinking of replacing the step with some folding ones that are sold on the PPL site. Has anyone ever done that? Hints? Is it something a newbie should take on or is it better left to the professionals?

Are you able to open the door of your PUP with the roof is collapsed? It seems to me as a kid, my step dad kept the cooler inside the PUP and he would grab drinks out for us kids when we stopped at the rest areas. We can't open the door unless we crank up the roof a touch, is that normal?

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I've seen people just leave the step retracted, and buy bigger, adjustable steps (look like stools.)

Our old apache, you'd have to unlatch the roof and raise the front a bit to open the door while down. My pup (a 1965) used to be able to open the door when roof down, I added some trim and velcro to hold canvas and now it requires a slight lifting of the roof to open the door.

So I guess the door thing depends on the model. If you search the forums I know there's at least one thread on steps for 'athletically built' campers. :)

3. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

That's normal for mine...wish I could open the door with the roof down, but the roof prevents the door from opening on the road so I can't complain.

4. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

I have a 2007 Coachmen Clipper 107 which allows me to open the door very easily when cranked down. I really like this because my PUP doesn't have an outside storage compartment. I usually keep my wheel chocks, PUP cranks, porta potti right inside the door. I also have storage compartment right inside the door which I keep tools and such which are easily accessible when cranked down.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I can't open the door of my Yuma unless I release all four brackets and crank the roof up about two inches. That's why I do not store the stuff I need to set up (crank, wheel chocks, level, etc.) inside the trailer. I keep it in the TV.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I used to be able to open the door with the roof down but cleaned everything the gasket seal at the top and the top now comes down further. I can still pop one latch and lift slightly and open it if necessary. The step is a new one on me. Mine are just right. The only large step is from the bed to the floor. For that we purchased a step stool

7. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

We can't open our door, but we also don't need to crank it up either. Just undoing the latches and lifting slightly gives us enough clearance to get the door open. This means we don't put things we NEED in the PUP when traveling, but things we put in there are accessible if need be.

8. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

I can open the door on mine without lifting or unlatching.

9. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

I honestly didn't realize some pop ups CAN'T open the door while down. [?:~{]

We can on ours. I also like the fact that our fridge is lined up directly across from the door. It's a bit of a reach or crawl to get to it but I can keep food/drinks in it and stop at a rest stop and do a picnic lunch w/o cranking up at all.

10. wilssm

wilssm New Member

In regard to the steps, on my Palomino y series when purchased new it had a single step which made it a very high step after about a week after I got the camper home I got a call from the dealer saying that the wrong steps were on the camper and that he would call when the correct steps came in. A couple of months later the steps were in but it being winter I didn't want to take the pup out in the snow to have the steps put on. the dealer said it would be a easy install if I did it myself. It wasn't that hard only had to drill 2 holes to accommodate the larger brackets, I thing if you got new steps you could install yourself.
    Wilssm

11. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

DH found that he could remove a section of the side pieces to the step, moving it closer to the pup, then he made a platform out of pressure treated lumber that we put on the ground to make a second step. Sometimes, depending on the topography of the campsite, we don't need the platform, but it makes life easier for short-legged me! It stores inside the door when in transit.

I don't think our door will not open while popped down. I suspect the weight of the AC has something to do with that. We're reluctant to try it! Don't want to make "roof issues" where none exist!

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

With the Coleman/Fleetwood Utah, the door comes down with the roof fully lowered. Nice to throw things in at the last minute without too much trouble.

13. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

My Cobalt will let me open the door if I unlatch the roof first. It's a feature I really like.
    MR

14. musicman55

musicman55 New Member

in our jayco we can open door with top down and latched make it easer to put some things in after already hooked up like things dw told me to put in but forgot to ha ha ha happy camping