First Trip and thanks

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by gorillasurfer, May 7, 2014.

1. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

We took our NTU 95 Palomino Mustang up to Wawona, CA from Anaheim for a 4 day weekend trip returning yesterday. No issues towing until I got to Coarsegold where the trailer brakes started to chatter on a 7% grade down hill. I pulled into a safe spot, let everything cool down for a bit and adjusted them to be less aggressive and had no more issues. I was probably on the brakes too much and need to take the trans out of O/D to bleed off some speed. We pulled into Wawona in the afternoon. The ranger goes through the usual speech about bears and wild life and then tells me the site is a "pull through". You should have seen the look on her face when I asked what that meant. LOL The site was also on a slope next to the river bank. I could imagine her thinking we might end up in the river.

After lurking on this forum for about a year I was fairly well prepared. I knew things like to cross my chains and get the brake controller installed before we left. I made some levelers using pressure treated 2x8 wood and made sure I had good wheel chocks to block the tires. I used a torpedo level and we took our time. Me and the DW got the PUP level and stable. The PUP stayed that way until we were ready to leave. We were very happy with ourselves. The weather was very nice Friday and Saturday and cool to cold on Sunday and Monday. Our PUP is so much fun. It fits us all very comfortably and it is in great condition. We chose to keep things simple and not use the fridge or water on this trip. I just wanted to tow it and set it up. I did try setting up the canopy but, one of the supports had a broken pin. I will fix or replace that later. Then the thing I worried about most happened...it rained Monday night. I am happy to say there were no leaks! We did our best to dry the canvas with a towel before we closed everything up yesterday but, I am sure we did not get it all. We plan to open it this Saturday to make sure we get everything good and dry. Should we try to open it sooner?

We drove down to the valley 3 of the 4 days and took the bus over to Mariposa on the other day. We have never been there this early in the year. The waterfalls were all flowing nicely and everything was very green. The older kids went horseback riding and the rest of us took a little hike to Happy Isles to check out the bridges to the islands. We love walking through the sequoias as well. Amazing trip!

Towing home was a little stressful coming down the mountain due to rain and hail but, we took our time and used the pull outs to let people by. No brake issues at all. We are very happy to have our PUP and can't wait until our next trip.

I am very grateful for this forum. Thanks to the mods and all you folks that post. Made our first trip much less stressful and a lot more safe.

2. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

95 Palomino Mustang... do you have pics? Would love to see since we have an 11 Mustang. [PU]

3. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

I started on this forum just trying to figure out what and how I could fix our very run down NTU pup in 2012. I have made so many friends via the portal and it is awesome to hear stories like yours. I am glad you guys had an awesome time and I bet it was beautiful. And I agree, lets see some pics!!!!

4. campinglovers

campinglovers New Member

Congratulations on a successful 1st trip!!!! Would love to see pics too [:D]

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Awesome trip report :)

If you can open her up sooner rather than later to be sure it's dry, then I would.

6. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

Thanks! I will post pics in a bit. We will try to open her up tonight.

7. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

8. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

That is a good looking pup!

9. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

Thanks Jab! We got really lucky. Two weekends ago, I sold my motorcycle on Saturday, DW found this on Craig's List Saturday night and we bought it on Sunday. One week of DMV registration, 7way hitch wiring, brake controller, DIY levelers and we were rolling down the highway. I think we are the 4th or 5th owners. So happy!

10. campinglovers

campinglovers New Member

nice!!!

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the first trip and yes you need to open it up and do it as soon as possible, even if it is going to rain again. Just leave it up until it stops raining and completely dries out.

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Awesome [8D]

13. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

I'm jealous, what a nice popup and that canvas color and cleanliness awesome!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

First sounds like a great trip! If you even can't set it up completely, I would open it enough to let some air circulate, then when the weather permits open all the way and clean any spots as needed.

15. gorillasurfer

gorillasurfer New Member

Thanks, I actually took Thursday off work and opened it up for the day and for good measure I opened it up again today. Everything seems good and dry.