First trip ever - and it starts with a SPUT!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by northernmum, Aug 6, 2010.

1. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

Well, we headed out for our "Trial trip" on Tuesday. 6 miles out of town, we had a big ol' SPUT.

Let's just say I'm thankful for chains and that they did their job. [:O] Kind strangers helped us out, and we were on our way. We spent 3 nights and days at a beautiful provincial park, but unserviced. We had pit toilets and a water tap close by, no electricity. All went well once we got everything set up (and I'm thankful for a helpful gentleman in another site who helped me manage the stabilizers :)). The first night was cold, and I guess our battery isn't charged so we didn't have heat. Next time, warmer blankets! Cooking was a breeze, we had a great time, my kids swam a bunch, and we had a great daytrip to a small town and toured their museum and played mini-golf there too.

I can't WAIT to get out there again!!!

2. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

Sounds like you had a great time after a few mishaps, we all have them. The important part is it all worked out and your ready to go again!

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, if you want heat you need the battery charged to run the furnace fan and propane to burn for heat. Even if you have plenty of propane, the furnace will not run if you don't have power for its fan.

4. jlygnogre

jlygnogre New Member

It's interesting that dispite the SPUT, you can't wait to get out again.

Things don't have to be perfect to have a good time. You've learned some lessons, and next time, things will probably go better for you.

Now you've got some memories of good times past and you can look forward to more good times in the future.

In fact, the SPUT may actually make it better. Now you've got a great story to tell. Besides, I think that if it weren't for the occasional SPUT to keep us humble, most of us would be so arrogant we'd be impossible to get along with.

We've had quite a few encounters with those "kind strangers", also. I've often been amazed when they came along at just the right time. They kind of make up for all of the other kind.

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I had a major SPUT on my first trip also. Upon accelerating to enter the highway, the PUP swayed violently. It was very unnerving, but I continued to the CG, going close to 50 MPH to avoid swaying. Upon returning home, I consulted the Owners Manuel. The front storage compartment needed to be filled for weight distribution. Also, a sway bar was recommended. I later learned that my model was redesigned, placing the galley and door in front for improved weight distribution. I will spare you the other SPUTs. I was not discouraged, largely because camping in a PUP was so much fun.

6. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

I figured as much - so...dumb question alert [;)] how best to do that? Jumper cables and my tv?

7. mtnman

mtnman New Member

I use a battery charger, available at any auto parts store. And I dont know if this is the case for all pups, but for mine, if I plug the power cord into an outlet, the converter in the pup also charges the battery. We just went a week dry camping on Grand Manan Island (which was wonderful), and we had no trouble running lights and fans off the battery. But we do not have a furnace; I don't knoe how much battery capacity the furnace blower uses, so your mileage may vary.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

There should be one black wire and one white wire to connect to a battery secured to the trailer tongue.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Ditto what mtnman said. Get a three-way battery charger and charge the PUP battery at home before leaving. Or, newer converters have a battery-charging function built in. Plug in the PUP and you are charging your battery. Finally, a 7-pin wiring harness properly connected can direct power from the TV's electrical system to the battery for charging while driving.

10. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Northermum, welcome to the Portal, eh!
    Something like this will charge up your battery. battery charger Just bring the battery in the house and charge it up overnight; put the battery back on the tongue of the PUP and then go on your trip with the battery charged. When you get back from your trip 'your' batteries will be charged.
    Frank and Susan, from London, Ontario.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping!

11. ak_nd

ak_nd New Member

Great attitude to your first trip! Well done!

We all get to live and learn, believe me!!!