First trip in NTU '07 Fleetwood Niagara

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by wildela, Mar 22, 2015.

1. wildela

wildela Member

After intense internet research, we did our ground truthing last weekend. One long Saturday later, we had purchased an '07 Fleetwood Niagara. Campsite reservations were made before we even brought it home. We picked up the camper on Thursday, and set out on Friday for Sea Rim State Park, TX which is about 2 hours from us. The camper set up like a dream. We loaded what we needed of our tent camping gear, into the back of the tow vehicle, and spent a couple of hours setting up the camper, stowing our gear and generally marveling at our good fortune while the kids ran around like circus monkeys just freed.

Sea Rim is a lovely park with beach front, marshes, board walks through the marsh, kayaking/canoeing trails, birding opportunities, shelling, and a general lack of bipedal population. You can primitive camp on the beach or have access to water/electric hookups behind the dunes. It really is a nice park....for day trips.

As night fell, multiple species of mosquito from tiny to ginormous swarmed the outside of the camper. Worse, they found multiple ways in. There are no holes in our screens, but apparently there are still plenty of access points. We handled it through dinner, but as we all tried to go to sleep, we were swarmed. We applied repellent. We slept under our covers even burying our heads. We applied more repellent. We tossed, we turned, we struggled, we slapped, we cocooned, we slapped some more. It was a very long night. At about 4am, I woke from a final desperate doze to find my DH maniacally slapping every surface inside with a towel trying to slay as many tiny blood-suckers as he could. He knew it was futile, but he had to vent his rage.

Come daylight, we awoke to sheets that had outlines of exposed body parts made up of mosquito bodies and blood. It was gruesome, and we were all quite tired.

For the rest of the day, we played board games, took a walk on the beach between rain showers, talked to other campers in much fancier fifth wheels and big RV's. They all said the same - the mosquitoes invaded. We decided to spend the day relaxing while the mosquitoes slept (b@st@rds), then packed up and headed home a night early. Of course it was raining again as we packed it up.

In spite of it all, we had a good time, and we already have our next campsite booked, far away from the marshes where we hope the mosquitoes will be smaller.

2. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Great story and review of the park. Glad it didn't take away from the love for your new PUP and you're still looking forward to the next trip. Way to make the most out of it. I. Hate. Mosquitos.

Carey & Gabe + 3 kiddos & 2 dogs
    Nights Camped- '13 {4}; '14 {6}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

So glad you made the best of it! Couple hints, one member posted some time ago that they had their youngsters climb around and put cotton balls in all the gaps they could find. I use the dryer sheets that I leave on the beds when closed, gaps are usually found near the bed slides, where the canvas goes around the lift posts at the top and at the top of the door. (Always remove them before breaking down then save for the next trip.) ThermaCells work very well at repelling the buggers, we've had one for 4-5 years and love it. http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Happy camping!
    Diane

4. wildela

wildela Member

Thanks for the cotton ball and dryer sheet ideas! We have been trying to figure out what to shove in any small gaps!

5. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

Well good to hear you made the best of the trip!! We have thought about going there, but we may rethink that trip for now..

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about the mosquitoes. You did mention packing up in the rain, be certain all of your fabric is dry before leaving it for any length of time. Usually we have to ope ours up and leave it for a day or so just to be certain. Any moisture left behind is repair waiting to happen.

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

I used to use crumpled up paper towels and it worked great!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

8. wildela

wildela Member

Thanks Jimbow. It's been in the opened up in the driveway all day. And thanks Novagirl for the idea!

9. pckeen

pckeen New Member

We usually pack face cloths. There may be gaps at the corner of the bunks and where the slide out meets the wall. You didn't have any lights on did you?

10. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

i will be looking at a 2006 Niagara tomorrow. i was just wondering if you don't mind me asking what you paid for yours?

11. wildela

wildela Member

Hi Hawkedshad, I have been off of the board for a few days. Where are you? We ended up paying $8300, but that included TTL here in Texas. How did you fare?

12. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

That's wonderful! Congratulations on your new PUP. The Niagara is proven model, and you'll find tons of generous neighbors here when you need them.

13. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

I am in NJ. I did well. I was able to get it for $7250. The PO delivered it to my house as I don't have the new truck yet. I have to transfer title and register it still. I'm not sure what that will cost. Not too much I hope.

14. rangerover

rangerover Member

Never camp near any Texas beach in the Spring or Summer! To many bugs!