First trip in our PUP - Ever!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by SPopupFamily, May 25, 2014.

1. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

We did it! Our first ever camping trip in our new PUP, new TV, and the first time camping with our 2 year old twins! We learned a lot. Mostly we realized we each need a key to the PUP door if we are going different directions for a few hours, otherwise you'll be stuck out in the sun with 2 screaming toddlers and no water and then be forced to break in by unscrewing the outside door lock and breaking it. Also realized we will not be back to that campground with little ones, just not kid friendly. And I decided against buying the pop up gizmo sun reflector things but after this weekend I NEED them. It was way too hot! We are thinking about going somewhere Fathers Day weekend, but as of now we have 5 more trips planned, including the Oregon coast. I'm tired but excited just thinking about it. :)

Here's a few pics. Our daughter named our TV "Clifford" because its a big red truck. Cliffords best friend is a poodle named "Cleo" so we named the PUP Cleo. Both Cleo and Clifford did well this trip! We are going to love both of them! Here are a few pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

How fun! What cuties! How does your canvas attach to the door? Our is just Velcro, so when the door has gotten locked, I just pulled it off and reached inside.

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Sounds like the first trip out was a success! Enjoy it, that's a great camper!

4. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

My husband locked the very outside door so even if I could get inside I couldn't open the inner door or unlock the outer door. He spent 4 hours trying to put it back together so I guess that's kind of like payback for not giving me the keys when he took off on the boat. :)

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

The salt in the wound here may be that you could have found any Coleman/Fleetwood owner in that campground, and their key would likely have matched yours....

6. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I thought about that. Everywhere I looked there were gigantic coaches and 5th wheels. We were the only PUP in the whole place and no other Coleman/Fleetwoods. It was small, maybe 20 sites or so. I even had the camp host come over and see if they knew of another way. Oh well. We learned :)

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Make a few copies, and put one of them under the PUP in one of the magnetic hide-a-key boxes that can be bought at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.. That has saved us some hassle more than once!

8. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Two doors?? Faaaancy!! :)

9. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I'm on it! Making a hide-a-key next week. Thanks for the tip!

10. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Great name for the pup! We haven't named ours yet :( Hearing that you needed PUGs makes me want to order mine right away! Fortunately for us the PO made several copies- I wonder if they had made the same mistake!

11. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

man that's a HUGE PUP!.....geez. look how high it sits next to the truck......Wow.....

awesome....glad to hear good stories on first trips.

12. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Looking good. That last picture is what it's all about. :)

13. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

Thanks for sharing :)

14. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

On my wedding day last fall I forgot they key for the pup at the house. My dad and I went through all the keys in my key ring, which I have a fair amount, and jiggled them until we found one that opened the door. I now don't even take the camper key anywhere. I just use that key. Like was said before I can also just push the canvas out if the door next to it, reach in and unlock the door. Not very secure so we lock up expensive stuff in the truck if we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

So glad you had a wonderful time despite the key issue. What a beautiful PUP, I know you and the family will enjoy many camping experiences. I agree with other poster, the pic of the kids by the lake is what it's all about.

16. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

They both look fantastic together :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

17. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Yes, it is a huge PUP! Closed its taller than me. I think when its fully open its like 9+ feet tall. Just one trip but we already love it!