First Trip of the season, and first time in the NTU PUP

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by timothias, May 27, 2013.

1. timothias

timothias New Member

Before I start, a moment of honesty, my wife and I are aspiring campers. I, in no way, have claimed to know what I am doing, but we love camping and are doing our best to do our best at it.

We just got back from our first trip in two years, and in our recently NTU PUP. The DH, DD (9 mos.) and I went to Wabamun Lake here in AB with some family. We booked the trip a month ago, obviously hoping for good weather.

It rained for two days leading up to, and for, the whole weekend. We had nice mornings on Sat, Sun, and Mon, but it rained and stormed in the evenings. I had to pack and set the PUP down in the rain, arrive in the rain, then set up in the rain.

We learned some things this trip:
    • I know how to back up my trailer better than my BIL knows how to guide me
    • Our door pops open randomly if we are not perfectly level
    • Our PUP lets water in when towed in the rain (both beds were sopping wet, but no water came in once it was set up)
    • Our awning is old and the storage bag unreliable (it ripped off)
    • Always take the plug off the grey water drain before using the sink
    • Our thermostat is temperamental at best
    • Camping in the rain sucks
    • DD sleeps in the PUP better than she sleeps at home and will play in her Pack n Play in the morning letting us sleep in (we had no idea she was awake until 8:30)

Not only were we wet almost the whole weekend, but we could not build a fire to save our lives (almost literally), and to add insult to injury, we forgot half the food we planned to pack. We wound up spending most of our meals sharing with my Sis and her family in their 36' TT.

I had some sun to pack up in though, which was nice. and as I did up the last roof clamp the hinge snapped and the whole thing fell apart in my hand, so I am now down a roof clamp. Oh, and we hit golf-ball sized hail on our drive home (while driving at 110 km/hr).

Kind of a disheartening first adventure, but we will push through for another trip.

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Reasonably successful first trip because you want to do a second. Sounds like your roof is not coming all the way down for some reason thus the water is getting in and you broke the clamp. Your mattresses maybe to thick especially if you have replaced them(Made that mistake this weekend). There should not be any gap when your roof is down for water to get into.

3. timothias

timothias New Member

I'll have to take a look at the roof issue. I'm not sure about the mattresses, I haven't swapped them, and they don't look overly thick. Is it possible that I'm not guiding the canvas into folding enough (or properly) and it is bunching up keeping the roof from lowering completely?
    Side note about the hinge, the pin that broke seemed quite rusty anyways...

4. Heady

Heady Active Member

I used a plastic baseball bat to help "guide" the canvas where I wanted it. I found the key on my bayside was to try and get the canvas as close to the center and away from the corners as I could.

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I have spent 40 hours working on ours and finally will get to go this weekend. Right now there is major rain in KC and it looks like it is not going to let up till tomorrow. Good thing is we leave about 4:00 and only an hour drive from home for the first time out. Praying that all the rain end early tomorrow cause the rest of the weekend looks really good. taking the kayaks in stead of the paddleboards because we have never been to this campsight lake plus it will be muddy and completly full. I really hope this trip is a succes. I have prepared every way possible for this trip. Putting on brand new buddy bearings tonight and should be ready to go. Let you know how it comes out.

6. Clive

Clive New Member

Both ends wet roof not going down enough. Gentle leaning on the roof corners may help as you latch it down. Way to check is to place some crinkle card on the beds and see if it gets squashed flat. Was the canvass all set also, just a thought may be a leaking seam?

7. timothias

timothias New Member

I know this is an old post, but just an update. We went on another trip, but it was dry when we set down at home, then rained as we traveled. When we arrived it was dry inside. I think the water that got in was from setting down in the rain. In fact, this trip didn't have any of the issues the first ons did.

8. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

good to hear! My first and second trip was rain, not much but just enough to wet everything but did have to put down in the rain. every time we go out I fix something. It has to be raised to get in and fix things so I just take parts with me. Got a new faucet and shower fixture in last time out and we now have working water!! Just now cleaned out the hot water heater and installing a new anode rod and putting the on board water tank back on with a new water fill so we will have water no matter what. Im heading to camping world right now for some more parts. Wish I had enough clearance in the garage to open it up.