first trip this weekend going to be HOT!!we have no AC

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mesuezee, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

What do you find the best way to keep your PUP cool. We have no AC in ours and this is our first trip! It is sopposed to be in the high 90's over the weekend. we have 1 small clip on fan that came with the camper. Does anyone use a portable AC in their camper? If so, any suggestions??? [SUN]

2. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

I don't know where you are, but here in Ohio it's way too hot for us to go camping this week. And we have AC. I hope you'll at least have some shade on your campsite. We use PopUp Gizmos on our bunk ends. They work great to help keep the heat out in the summer and keep it in when it gets cold outside. You can read all about them here on the forum and also the website: http://popupgizmos.com/. I also bought some Reflectix at Home Depot, and cut it to fit between the canvas windows and screens in the bunk ends. The combination of the gizmos and reflectix really helps to keep the inside of your camper cooler on hot days. Since we had AC in our PUP and in our hybrid, I don't know anything about portable AC's. Someone else can help you with that. At the very least, I'd buy an oscillating fan. Even with the AC on, we always have one running to keep the air circulating. Good luck and have a great weekend!

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Where are you at geographically speaking? Are you going to be in the mountains at all. Around here, it would definitely be too hot to camp unless we were actually heading for the mountains where it can be a good 20 degrees cooler easy. If it weren't for the mountains, I can tell you that the majority of our camping would be done offseason here as we are generally in the mid 90s to 100s all summer long in Albuquerque.

We don't have AC because we don't generally camp where there are hookups and don't have a generator....and not really needed in the mountains anyway.....even so, I've heard that temps that high tend to negate the p'up AC anyway. When we desert camp, it's generally in the offseason (no earlier than early Sept and no later the MM day weekend) preferably in late Sept/Oct and March/April/early May.

Shad is also your friend.

4. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

We just spent 16 days boondocking in the mid 80s to high 90s , never spent enough time in the pup to notice .

5. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

I am in NY. We will be in the Catskill mountain area. I sure hope the temperature drops some at night!

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I don't know those mountains specifically.....but I was recently in the Northeast visiting family in Ct. It was hotter than blazes and humid....we took a nice day trip to the Berkshires and I was still warm but much more pleasant. Hopefully that will be the case for you.

Also....as Idahawk stated.....we rarely spend time in the p'up while camping other than to sleep, so we really notice. We are also quite dry here, so sitting under a nice shade tree goes a long way to cooling you down. We do keep the windows unzipped to allow the breeze in, especially in the evenings as the sun goes down to cool down the p'up.

7. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

We'll be just a few hours south of you and yes, it is going to be hot this weekend. We don't have AC either. We take an oscillating fan with us and make sure we have some shade on the site. Covers (Cabella blankets or Gizmos) on the bunkends reflect the sun nicely which helps a lot. When you are setting up or breaking camp, take a wet wash cloth, drape it over your vehicle's air conditioner vents (or keep some in the cooler) so that it gets icy cold then drape it around your neck. That really helps a lot. A spray bottle of water to mist yourself helps too. Last summer I would spray myself then sit in front of the fan on the really muggy days. Is there a state park nearby that has a day-use area with a pool or lake?

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

People DO use portable ACs in pups all the time. If you have one, I would sure take it. If you can't find a place to put it, worse case scenario I would have it hanging out the front door. I'd keep the door propped open and hang tarps or blankets above it.

It sounds tacky but better than sweating and not being able to sleep. I wouldn't worry about security with the door open as someone/something would have to make a lot more commotion getting around an AC and tarps than they would just opening the door.

I'd add some fans to point the cold air in the direction(s) you are sleeping.

And as others have mentioned, reflectix in windows & gizmos or emergency blankets over the bunk ends really help too.

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With or with A/C I would have to find a cool mountain stream to spent the day in

10. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

If you are planning on camping where there are power hookups, I would at a minimum get one or more oscillating or box fans. We used those when we were tent camping in hot weather if electricity was available. Obviously you would open the windows and let the fans keep a breeze blowing in the PUP.

Another suggestion would be to make some "man made" shade over the PUP if you aren't in a shady campsite. To do this, you could get yourself a large shade cloth / tarp and hang it above the PUP or over the top of it to give the ends and sidewalls some shade. you can fasten the corners with either tent poles, wooden poles, or to trees to hold it up over the PUP. Be sure to make it "peaked" so that any rain would run off.

Emergency Blanket covers / PUGs would be nice too.

11. General Beluga

General Beluga Member

I don't go camping in my pup in hot weather without air conditioning!

12. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

We will have power. We got 2 clip on fans to hang over the bunks. I tried to order Gizmos but they wouldn't get here in time. Bob was nice enough to suggest going to Walmart and getting the emergency blankets and clothespins:) we got them so hopefully it helps a little. I am just anxious because it is our first time camping!!!

13. Island Time

Island Time New Member

We'll be camping this weekend in the Berkshires (Western Massachusetts) w/o AC and I sure am hoping the evenings stay cooler as they have been the past few days. As long as the temp gets down to the 70s at night, we'll be plenty comfortable. I plan on bringing a couple of box fans. And we'll be at the lake with the boat so during the day we can escape to the water. I have been wondering if a couple of the window fans would work if I put them against the screen on either bunk end to try to get some flow going through the camper.

14. FC

FC Central Florida

I second what General Beluga said.... [;)]

15. candleems

candleems Member

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

17. tfalter

tfalter I MUST work, so I CAN play

As my father used to say.... You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din....

Here is KC, it is well in the hundreds... until late evening... at dark upper 90's...

I do not know how to keep the inside of the camper warm, but on the outside we at times use a water mister system... works quite well easy to manage and might work for you...

Dying to know how it goes...

here is a link
    http://www.amazon.com/Dig-Corp-Breeze-Misting-System/dp/B000JMJBXQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1311230625&sr=1-2

18. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

We have a 95 Coleman Utah without AC. The goucho is a "U" shape. We place a portable AC on a large tray that has an inch lip on it in the corner of the goucho. It's exhausted through the side window on the back bunk. The drain is left uncapped and a flexible hose is attached to the drain and fed into an aquatainer, that sits on the floor under the goucho. The condensation is used for hand washing.....we normally catch 3.5 - 4 galls a night, depending on the humidity. During the day the AC is left off and the windows open, especially if it's hot, since we don't spend much time in it during the day. We do use small fans to circulate the air all day/night. The bunks do have gizmo's. It's not a perfect set up...the AC does not keep the pup "cold" during the day....but does at night. Look for a shady spot to set up in and a good cross breeze. Since it can get "Africa" hot here in Kansas, we don't camp very much in late July and August. We enjoy the spring and the fall. Don't let that stop you.....it's kinda like fishing.....Any bad day camping, is better than any day at work! Besides.......it'll make a great story! "Remember when we went camping and it was "Africa" hot"..................

19. kristine25

kristine25 New Member

We camped in 90 degree heat a few weeks ago. We have something very similar to the pop up gizmos but the ones shown seem tedius in setting up. Ours lay flat on top and we have a bag full of clips and we clip them on. Takes just a minute a side or so. We also bought two clip on fans and clip them in the bunks. Also, make sure your curtains are closed on the side the sun is on. With all these, I swear we cooled the inside the camper down by 10-15 degrees.

20. va camper

va camper New Member

mesuezee I completely understand where you are coming from. This weekend is our first camping trip as well and it is suppose to in the 100's with heat index it will feel like 115! HOT! We do have ac in our pup but I am still thinking HOT! I am taking a fan as well we will be camping with our dog and he will soak the camper with his panting if he gets hot so the fan is for him.
    Hope you stay cool and enjoy your weekend. :)