First Trip was a uhhhh a Success

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mrs.a.reynolds, Jun 20, 2019.

1. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

Well we have our first trip in the books!!! Total of 6 people in the pup, comfortably. :)

Was it a success? Yes but with some slight complications...

When we arrived, we unloaded, popped her up and somehow my husband managed to "break" the door. In the middle of the door is a horizontal metal piece that I believe holds the door together when it is up right. Well that popped right off. Now the door won't shut completely. HAHA!
    Opened the cooler to see that it too had broken. Just completely fell down, broke the plastic. That was my bad, I loaded it up with beer before we left....oops...

We were concerned about using the battery (we were "off grid") so we made sure to be diligent with the lights. However our outlets weren't working. Not sure if we need to be short connected to a power outlet, like in a campsite. Perhaps they don't work with just the small battery we had. Will have to try them out at home when we have her connected to the house.
    For the most part we hung out outside, as the weather was perfect with some dark clouds moving in. Played a lot of corn hole/bags. Got dinner prepped and then the storm came. Murphy's Law [{}=][{}=][{}=][|)]
    Chilled inside the trailer, played a very interesting/hilarious game of Cards Against Humanity while listening to some good ol' bluegrass [Guitar][Guitar] Was stoked that my parents were able to come camping with us. It was cool to show off the pup to the parental unit. One of our first big purchases as a married couple. They were just as excited to see our trailer and even brought along some pup warming gifts....toilet paper and trash bags. Guess what we had forgotten to pack?..... It's like my parents knew!!! [LOL]

We all slept comfortably and enjoyed the night.

Fast forward to when we arrive home. Took us 20 minutes trying to park the pup in our spot. We have a house in Denver with a car port in the back that is in the alleyway. We don't use the port for the pup, instead park it right in front of the port horizontally. In order to get the pup to fit properly and straight we have to pull pass the house, into the neighbors drive and back her up with little space. It seems easier then it really is. My dad gave me a tip years ago when I would have to drop his boat into the lake. Place 1 hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Which ever direction you want the towed item to move, simple move your hand and wheel that way. It works, but probably works better when you have done it a million times. o_O Eventually we got the pup parked and aligned to where she doesn't stick out into the alley.

Then the next problem presented itself.... We couldn't get the pup off the hitch!!! The TV was straight with the pup and nada! So my husband had the "brilliant" idea to unpin the hitch from the TV and drive it off. :eek::eek::eek::eek: Tried telling him I thought it was a bad idea, I could just see the pressure snapping and flying the pup up. Thank goodness that didn't happen! The hitch was off the TV but even then the ball was stuck in the pup. Sorry I don't know all the part names. We had to take a hammer to it so the ball would dislodge. Anyone have any ideas on how that could have happened? We had no problems with unloading at the campsite. I have a theory that it was from hitting the hitch on a dip (at very slow speed of 5mph) when turning into the alleyway.

Please be kind and gentle if you read this and say to yourself "WTF were they thinking?!" It was our first time and would love any pointers for future trips that are hassle free.

HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE!!! [HY]
    2012 KIA Sorento
    1990 Palamino

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea the outlets dont work off the battery. To conserve power you can get led lights. Otherwise sounds like a good trip. Stiff breaks but youll fix it.

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Grease the ball/coupler on the trailer. Also there is an adjustment nut on the bottom of the coupler. You can back it off a bit and it should help when unhitching. Be careful not to back off too much on the nut. You can test the fit by completely hooking up to the tow vehicle and lowering the tongue jack. If the trailer will lift the back of the vehicle without the trailer popping off the ball, then you're still good.

4. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Matt Benoit likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Overall it sounds like y'all had a good adventure which is the main thing and with your parents along made the memories even sweeter. As stated the outlets are 110 v. AC and 12v DC will not do the job. The backing up will get better, lots of folks take cardboard boxes and find an empty parking lot, then practice , using the boxes means no big thing if you mess up a few times :)

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

What a genius idea! Thanks for the tips. We will have to try that. Not sure how many open parking lots we can find around here. Might have to do it at night [LOL][LOL]
    And yes, it was a great trip!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Most importantly, loading a cooler with beer is no body's "bad"!! Clearly it was a defective cooler in dire need of replacement! [:D]

8. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

HAHAHA I couldn't agree more! It was made out of styrofoam that had plastic parts drilled into the plywood. I'm surprised it lasted 30 years!

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I never knew .... I was going to suggest some WD-40, though. We've had to do that many times and works much better than DH jumping up and down like an ape, on the tongue.

@mrs.a.reynolds , you play Cards Against Humanity with your parents? [LOL] I would rather die, but I do play it with my grown kids. I suppose it depends on how old or chill your parents are.

As others have mentioned, the outlets are 110 and will only work with shore power.

My DH slipped outside and fell through the bottom panel of our door. I just taped that bad boy right back on. :laugh: The joys of having a pop up! I don't feel like I need to have anything professionally repaired. I bought a giant roll of Eternabond tape and use it for everything. It gets the job done. [HH]

Sounds like you have a fun trip. If everything went perfectly, you wouldn't remember a thing. Memories are made from mishaps. :)

10. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

You betcha! My parents are where I got my great sense of humor from. We are a wild, at times politically incorrect group of crazies [LOL] Also it wasn't exactly Cards Against Humanity, but the same concept, and Colorado edition. My hubby picked up his cards "No, Annie, we can not play this with your parents." I just laughed and said, "Where do you think I get it from?" :D Then my dad proceeded to make fun of him LOL.

I also watched the DH jump up and down like an ape, was thinking, he's only going to hurt himself.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Spend the money and get a better cooler! I got one of those Coleman extream 2 on sale on black friday. If i knew it was that good i would have bought 2 of them. It wasnt warm on the last camping trip, but the cooler stayed in the tv. It was packed on Thursday morning, i had cold and some ice left on tuesday when i got home. It wasn't opened a lot , but like 5 to 6 times a day. Definitly worth it, and not at the yeti price.

HappyTraveler and mrs.a.reynolds like this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think we would make great camping buddies, along with your parents & my kids, of course. [LOL] My DH was so mad when he was jumping on the tongue, I figured he may have a heart attack before he actually got hurt. :wink: I made him get down before either happened. Now we carry WD-40 everywhere.

mrs.a.reynolds and neighbormike like this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for the chance to play "Cards" again - it'd be really fun while camping!! Gonna have to work on this!

mrs.a.reynolds likes this.
  14. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

If you're ever in Colorado let us know!!!! Would love to have a group camping sess.

15. Jonson01

Jonson01 Member

Sounds like a good time!!!

16. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Never use excessive force to release the hitch ball from the coupler. If the coupler is properly lubricated and the correct size the coupler will just lift off the ball - are you sure you're using the correct size hitch ball? When hitching up always make sure the coupler has to reach for the ball, just a bit, otherwise the locking clasp may not properly grab the underside of the ball, in which case the coupler will easily pop off the ball when you pull away. [:O]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I've never had a ball be that hard to come loose, once it's not under load. There is an adjustment, but I'd want someone with experience to eyeball that puppy before I started changing anything. Perhaps the wrong size ball?

Beyond that, all normal first time camping stuff. I have to back mine into a narrow drive with concrete on one side, the neighbors house on the other and only a narrow road to maneuver from. In the early days I used to break out into a sweat a few miles from home just thinking about it. Now I can fling it in there on the first shot even without a spotter At the camp site I can generally park it within an inch or so of where I want it. Just takes practice.

18. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

I never had a problem unhitching the Rockwood. But when I got the Palomino I couldn't get the lock to disengage, I finally figured out the the locking mechanism was rusty and when I lubed it up with silicone spray it worked like a charm. But still still sounds like you made a lot of great memories and that's what its all about. I wish now that I had started a camping journal when I first started out. Now the grandkids are grown and rarely want to come. They have such busy lives. Lol. My only suggestion to you would be to start a camping journal. Happy Camping!!

19. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

It came with the camper and the guy never mentioned anything about it getting stuck. We lubed it up. We have another camping trip next weekend so we will see how that goes haha. Wish us luck.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be keeping a journal!

Sjm9911 likes this.