First trip with the Pup

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Roberty, May 24, 2016.

1. Roberty

Roberty New Member

[PUC]
    I was invited to go camping with some friends over this past long weekend and decided to break in my camper even though I'm still waiting on parts for my heater. I packed up in a hurry so I took the basics, food, bag of clothes, dog food, 3 gal water jug, some beer and scotch.

A friend of mine has a piece of property on a pond about 45 mins from my house but neglected to tell me it was a long sloping overgrown lot with a narrow twisting trail down to the edge of the pond. Luckily, my jeep and low cost trailer aren't exactly concerned with their cosmetics, so I proceeded to back it down the narrow trail as I kept the seem on the roof pointing towards the center of the brush on both sides. I stopped just back from the fire pit area and somehow or another the trailer was actually level from side to side. So I chocked the wheels, unhitched it and managed to get it set up pretty decently in not too long! I was happy to test out the fridge and even happier to find out it still worked perfectly on propane.

It was great having a place to sit around and eat out of the wind, and since I added the memory foam topper (1.5-2" I think) it was very comfy. the dog and I really enjoyed being up off the ground and she cuddled under the blankets with me so she acted like a heater. I had a grey fleece emergency type blanket, a comforter, and two quilts. I ended up having to toss off the two quilts when I woke up sweating.

I'm looking forward to many more trips in this popup! The only things bothering me is the door not closing properly when its set up. I'm assuming its from the frame flexing so there isn't much I can do I'm guessing.

Link for a few pics

https://goo.gl/photos/7j6XduUdptHSY4tT6

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Your door frame might fit, might be effected by the stabilizing jacks. When we crank the jack up nearest the door, it will flex the PUP frame enough to make the door rub on our little camper. Just a thought.

Maybe like you, we normally camp in cooler temps and without power/water. What we have now is our 2nd PUP and don't have a water tank or heater built into this camper.

Thanks for posting and photos.

3. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

very nice photo set

4. Roberty

Roberty New Member

Well I now have my second trip with my pup under my belt! Took a 2 hour drive to an old campground with my dog and my buddy to do some fishing. Heater is repaired now and it kept us toasty all night, the door was still not latching correctly on the trip, but when I got home and set it up to clean it out, I realized that I was raising the roof to high. Once I lowered it back down a half turn or so the door settled in quite close to perfect, and latches very good. Chalk it up a learning curve! Also found the sweet spot on the fridge propane setting where it keeps beer nice and cold and doesn't freeze the milk or water!!

Looking forward to my next trip! New tires and rims showing up today so I'll have more confidence during my next travels and I'll have a spare tire that holds air!

5. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Looks like fun! Enjoy...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

6. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Are those biscuits on that guys legs?

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That is a very nice piece of property. Don't think I would be gutsy enough to back the trailer as far as you did. I could only dream about being able to wake up to that kind of sight to see. Glad all worked out for you.