Fishing Waders

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Bottom End, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Bottom End

Bottom End Member

Anyone use fishing waders?

I want to purchase some waders, but I'm not sure what is best to get.

I don't care for the thick neoprene waders, I don't plan on fishing in the cold weather.

I was thinking about getting gortex.

Is it better to get waders with boots or purchase boots separately?

Thanks for any suggestions.

CatzWilson likes this.
  2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Assume your a fly fisherman ...?

The reason I ask is sometimes there's boaters and, of course, duck hunters, but then you said nix on cold weather.

Maybe another question would be just how much time do you plan to spend in the waders/water ...?

3. Escopeton

Escopeton New Member

There is a large selection of waders to fit your needs and wallet. For the most part, I use breathable waders; in summer without a set of trousers or long johns, when it is cold I use designer long johns. Get the stocking foot and buy the boots that fit your needs. When I duck hunt and it is freezing, gore-tex with heavy long johns.

4. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

When I was able to duck hunt (B4 kids) my choice of waders were stockend feet, and purchased the cheapest pair of tennis shoes with velcro at Wally World. I would get a pair about two sizes larger then my normal size. Velcro so they were easy to fasten and unfasten easily. I trounced through the marsh of south Louisiana and the tennis shoes lasted about two seasons. Which was cheaper then most of the wading boots which last about the same.

My [2C]

5. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Hodgeman makes a good set of waders. I have used there hip waders and there chest waders for both tube fishing and duck hunting. There are a wide variety of types so pick what fits your needs.

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We fly fish and have gortex waders. I don't like to fish in cold weather either but it's amazing how warm it can be and yet the mountain streams and the glacier lakes are very cold. Our waders do just fine in the cold waters. I guess it depends on where you plan to fish. We purchased our boots separately.

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

+1 on the stockingfoot waders. It reduces the total weight. Just feels like your wearing a pair of hiking boots. Simms is a great brand but you pay for it. I've had good luck with Hodgeman as well.

Not sure what size you take, but flyshack.com has Simms waders for $99.99. Unfortunately it's only XXL

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=101405

I'm mostly in the mountain streams of PA, WV, TN, and NC, but have found the breathable meets all my needs. I do have a set of neoprene boot foot for the extreme colds days, especially on the South Holston.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Should be noted that some States like Missouri, Alaska, Maryland and Rhode Island have banned or are considering banning felt soled waders to prevent the spread of didymo

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Hogdman stocking foot breathable chest waders here for the last 3 years. use wading boots or water shoes depending on what I'm doing. great for staying dry during winter paddling trips. Loose fitting and can layer under them to match the weather.