Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by OldTimer1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

I don't know if anybody has ever thought of this but there needs to be a national fishing license. The cost of out of state licenses is pretty steep and for us that like to fish it would seem natural that there would be one license that can be used, at least in the lower 48!

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Good idea!!

3. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

Sounds like an ideal platform to run on. Something like "Now is the time for all good men people to come to the aid of their fisherpeople". Gets my vote [:D]

4. jerry101

jerry101 New Member

yea don't give the government any ideas,they would probably charge $500.00 to a thousand dollars for one ,and thats just for fishing,and with one pole......what about hunting probably double that......

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

My FIL kept talking about buying our first born a lifetime hunting license(Vermont). If he did it before our son was 1 year old, it would have been just a couple of hundred dollars - for his life... well he never did it... then when the 2nd son was born, he talked about it again, but didn't because he didn't do it for the older brother :/ It would have been a wonderful gift for the boys.

I do know that my MIL bought a senior citizen lifetime fishing license, again Vermont. I am not sure of the cost.

If you can't get the federal government to pass that legislation, then maybe you could ask for a license as a birthday or a holiday gift from your family. I know we buy my husband's Grandpa Home Depot cards for gifts because he never wants anything else. If I knew he wanted a fishing license and hesitated over cost, I would be happy to get it for him.

6. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

I have a Texas all water fishing license, being what most would call a senior citizen the one perk is the license is about a third of the cost if you were younger. I have talked to my representative about authoring a law to create a universal fishing license but he doesn't think it would go anywhere unless there was more response for a universal/national license. We discussed cost and I threw the idea of either a free one similar to the Access Pass that I have now or maybe a low cost one for senior citizens with a higher cost for those who are younger.

We did not talk about anywhere near $500 for the cost but maybe $100 a year, $50 for a senior license, and either a $50 or free for disabled vets lifetime license.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

They actually attempted/threatened this for a saltwater license about two years ago but the States said "HE** NO" you are not taking money away from us

8. OldNavy

OldNavy Member

If you go to Texas State Parks, you can fish without a license

9. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

The parks I go to more often than not are national forest or ACoE rec areas. I was on Sam Rayburn and was stopped because I seemed to have been on the LA side of the lake instead of the Texas side. I did not see that border line that runs down the middle of that lake!!!

I live down the road from the Huntsville SP and maybe a few times a month I'll go there to fish, but like you said it is only good for state parks.

10. electronflux

electronflux Member

I wouldn't have a universal fishing license.

The reason there isn't one is tourism. That's also the reason that no state will ever allow one either. States like MT, CO, WA, ID and OR that have world class fly fishing rivers would lose out on the tourist license money. This in turn would reduce their budget for management of resources. I don't know about other states, but MT's Fish, Wildlife & Parks(FWP) is all one pot of money. Reduced money coming in from licensing would affect every state park and water body.

The last thing I would want is Federal involvement in what has always been a state issue. Whenever the Feds get involved things get worse, not better.

11. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

+1

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Just want to chime in that I too, wouldn't want to give the Feds any more rights.

13. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I am for it. Especially since most states require a trout stamp, which is the only fishing I do...

I have annual license for PA and WV and make a few trips to NC and TN each year

WV is $70
    PA is $60
    TN is $33.50 for 3 days
    Cherokee NC (tribal license) is $10 a day x 6 = $60

With two trips to TN each year, I am paying $257 in license fees.

14. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Its a great idea but it will never happen. The reason is because the cost and way the license is structured varies greatly from state to state. Some state's require trout stamps, some don't. Some states require a two pole stamp for fishing with two poles. Some states don't even allow it. Then you got places that have a regular fresh water license , then some states have salt water license. I wish there was a universal license and I really think it could be done.

15. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

barbara faith I have to agree with you. I think the federal government is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to big now. do you want the Indiana fish and game officer looking over your shoulder when you are in Illinois or Kentucky. there would be 100 different dept. and you wouldn't have money coming into the states cause the first 1/3 would have to go run the new office and staff it and make up regulations. [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [}:)] [}:)] [:(O] [:(O]

16. BuckeyePalomino84

BuckeyePalomino84 New Member

+2

17. phalynx

phalynx Member

I think of it as a donation going to a good cause.