Fitted Cover or Tarp

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by AlisaB, Apr 29, 2015.

1. AlisaB

AlisaB Facebook: Middle Tennessee Camping Group

I need to know if you guys use a fitted cover or a tarp to keep your pop ups covered? Is one better than the other? I do realize that inside is the best but I don't have an inside spot at this time.

Also, how do I go about deciding what size tarp if that is the way I go? How would I measure to make sure everything is covered?

Thanks for any input.

2. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I use a fitted ADCO cover with the Tyvek top. The bad thing about a tarp is that they do not breath and will trap in moisture. You want to keep the pop up as dry as possible. Anything that holds in the water is not good for the pop up. Also, tarps will trap in heat and that can degrade the roof according the the manufacturers.

Covers are not all that expensive but they only last a few years. The sun is a killer. Just remember, if it kills a cover in a few years, then what is it doing to your camper?

Vin.

3. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Ditto - don't do the tarp.

In addition, if you are storing the PuP for some time under cover, you should put a dessicant inside to trap any moisture.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Other discussions here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=57.0

Basically covers are good, but you don't want to trap heat or moisture under a non-breathable one, such as a tarp tied tightly around the pup. Some use tarps with success, using pool noodles or frames to ensure air circulation. We used an ADCO cover on our pups - breathable, heavy rain would seep in but dry very quickly. It protected our pups from UV (at 6,000' that's a biggie), sap and bird droppings. It did get some abraded spots, but the huge holes chewed in it by mice while it was in our garage in the off-season were what did it in.
    We bought an upgraded version for the TT last fall, we had to repair a couple of spots from damage caused by sharp places we missed covering, but it is in great condition after one winter. (We storing this one in the house!)

5. AlisaB

Thanks for the discussion line Kit. I do try to do a search before I post but still learning this system.

I appreciate everyone's input.

6. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

I bought my cover from etrailer and have been very pleased. It is similar to the ADCO tarp. It has mesh vents to help keep under the tarp ventilated. Definitely better than a cheap tarp.

7. AlisaB

ADCO sounds like the winner on the cover issue. How do you go about knowing the size??? My Dutchmen is a 12' box so do I just go with the standard 12 - 14' cover? Thanks so much!!

8. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

I did up my own DIY winter cover since our pup lives outside in the winter. Not hard to make up and has lasted 2 winters with no issues. And the last 2 winters have been unseasonably cold and snowy here in Ontario, Canada. Just click on the little [CAM] icon underneath my name on the left side to see some pics.

9. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

I did the 12' to 14" cover and was very happy. It covers my 12' box, the spare tire on the rear and the rear bumper, the battery box, and the propane tank. I like that it keeps everything out of the sun and most of the water off stuff. It also holds up to strong thunderstorm winds.

10. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

If you have the room and don't have any ordinance/HOA restrictions, a Shelter Logic tarp shed is also an option.