Fix it or Switch it?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mpking, May 6, 2016.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So I was given a 95 Jayco 1207KB. I've fixed a few minor things on it, but I'm in it for less than $100 at this point.
    We've never owned a camper (pup or otherwise) before, but we tent camp at least once a year, more if we can make it.

The items I need to repair has gotten quite lengthily.
    • New Tires (plus spare)
    • Replace brakes
    • Looking like the axle is shot
    • Canvas has some mouse holes in it
    • One of the mattresses has matching mouse holes in it.
    • Curtains are a mess
    • Battery is toast
    • The Awning is mess (and has no poles)

Running this all together, it's like $700 in parts just to make it safe to drive (axle, tires, brakes), plus all the other stuff which will make it enjoyable.

I guess what I'm asking, have I hit the point where I should junk it? There's a member on the forum that is selling his 2005 Jayco 1207 for $4000. There are other pup's on craigslist in my area running from $2900 to $5000

I think I can fix what I got for around $1700. $2700 if I replace the canvas.

What would you guys do in this situation?

2. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Guess it depends on how much you want a camper,do you enjoy fixing it? Got the money to put into it, if it were me I would fix it but I like doing it,fix it up use it see if you like it better than tent camping if not you can probably make some money from selling it .

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It would depend on your observation, do you have the time spend to rebuild it, Are you willing to spend the money, how fast do you want a RV. and the main thing, do you have the tools and are you handy using them. If you can answer yeas, go to it, I have re-built several over the years and enjoyed every minute doing it includng the mods that we wanted while re-building.

4. 64osby

64osby Member

Better question might be - Do you like the layout? Does it fit your needs?

For $2,700 I could have my choice of 15 or more campers tomorrow. Then go camping next weekend. Your location may not be the same.

Another question would be what would it be worth after investing $2,700. If you couldn't sell it for that I would put my money and time in a different camper.

What parts could you salvage for a different camper or sell to offset or increase your budget?

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Salvage value is an important factor. I was given a '94 Flagstaff last year and faced the same decision, though with different issues. There was a lot of rot and the canvas was in really rough shape. Ultimately I decided it wasn't worth the time and money to fix it up myself. I stripped anything of value, including the AC, fridge, awning, power converter, stove, mattresses and cushions, etc. then I sold what was left for $200 as either a major fixer-upper or a starting point for a utility trailer.

I've swapped few things I to my new pup and will sell the rest to help offset he cost the new one a bit.

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

$100 is a very small investment. If you have no rot to deal with, fix it up and sell it. If it's rotted, scap it.

7. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

As others have asked, does the camper fit your needs. You can look at it this way. Everything you replace is new and you know what you have. With any other used camper you're going to run into issues. While you're updating you can make changes while you're at it. The biggest issue is the condition of the rest of the main camper structure. Is it worth investing in.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

What I'm taking from your statement is that with a $2700.00 investment and some elbow grease, you'll have a pup you're happy with and that offers the ability to space out the expense over time. You don't get that option if you spend more money on something newer.

A newer pup is still going to need tires, brakes, bearings, cables, cleaning and elbow grease to properly maintain, so all you're really doing is spending more money up front in order to delay some of the maintenance expenses.

The question is, which scenario do you prefer?

9. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

on the up side structure wise you haven't listed and repairs no bad floors , walls or roof damage. I think the biggest question is the Pup going to be worth the investment in a once a year use like you normally camp. that amount for once a year in my opinion is not worth it. Sell it off take the money and get some new camping gear for your once a year trip.

If you plan on starting to make several trips a year then yes would make sense. Or are you looking for a seasonal site near by for the weekends?? In truth you need to do the math that fits you and your family the best!!

10. karley020

karley020 Member

Depends on if you want a project or a camper this summer. If you can afford a better camper that is the route I would go-I have a project camper and at times really wish I had the money to just buy one that is ready to use. But if you like tinkering on a project, it could pay off to make it how you want it. I have seen easy curtain options on pinterest (using the nicer shower curtains) and cushions and mattress can be recovered to hide the holes.

I sent you a message if you do decide to scrap it.

11. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Lets start with why do you think the axle is shot? What type of breaks does it have hyd or electric? I think your estimate is to high. Mouse holes can be patched real easily. An air mattress will replace the mattress. Walmart for the battery. Two yards of fabric and you got new curtains.

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

You can debate the status of the axle here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=103452.msg1049992#msg1049992

Safe to say, the negative angle on the torsion bar is not leading to "warm and fuzzies"

It does have hydro surge brakes.

My estimate was wrong. It's currently $834.97 to get it road safe. Not $700.
    $255 for 3 new tires / rim combo (@$85 a tire) (new axel, can't assume same tires will fit, most likely will change bolt pattern)
    Estimating $500 for a new Axle complete with new hubs/brakes. I'd switch to electric brakes at this point, hence the new hubs
    $79.97 for a new battery.

The $1700 number was making it pristine(ish). New mattresses, new curtains, etc. (lots of little minor stuff).
    The $1000 for the canvas was checked by 4 or 5 online retailers.

Do I have to spend the 1000 to make it pristine? No. I probably wouldn't either.

But I did want to sanity check myself before I spend hundreds on it. Especially if the going consensus was I should have junked it.

To round up the other questions posed.
    Yes, we fix it/ buy new(er) one, we'd plan on more camping. It's been a long standing dream, and having a camper pushed at us has motivated us to do this. (that and my youngest reaching an age where it isn't so much an expedition, and is now more an adventure)

I'm handy, and have a modest set of tools. Part of the $1000 to make it better was including the tools.

Would it be worth 2700 after all repairs? Easily, since it would have mostly all new everything. :) Is there anything I could part out. Not really, just the current ripped and torn canvas, and the heater.

To wrap it up. I'm going to pull it out next weekend, and open her up. I think 3 or 4 posters have hit the nail on the head. Is there any rot. There was no rot when it was closed up 2 years ago. If this holds true, I'll fix her up and we'll begin adventuring with her. If there is rot, I'll part her out.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Sounds reasonable to me!

About the only thing I would add would be to say that you probably won't recoup your investment but you'll enjoy the heck out of it while you got it. That's where we've been for five years now and we're totally OK with that.

14. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Dubbya nailed it. We had an ongoing project camper (which was what we wanted to start with as a starter camper). I then figured I'd prefer to spend my time and money camping rather than fixing. The kids were only little once, and that project had outlived it's usefulness.