Fixable, right...?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Squeeker, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

2004 sound a bit old. Mostly people recomend 5 to 7 on tires. So if it was 2011 you would need to replace them. Now your lucky. ( no need to panic , i did the exact same thing! ) just replace and move on, nothing to see here , no bubbles on the tires! Lol

Squeeker likes this.
  2. G T

G T Member

Have ordered new tires for the PUP. Remembered the previous owner mentioning something about hub extensions. After reading the Bearing Buddies posts I looked closer at them. Looks like I have a hub with grease fittings but not sure of the name. Am going to pack the bearings and replace the seals when I put the new tires on. My question is should I remove these and put new dust covers on since I know nothing about how to properly use these. I don't want to have trouble on the road. Thanks for your input.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

No need to replace the covers you have. Just don't use the grease fitting if you aren't comfortable with it.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. G T

G T Member

OK, so I can use them as dust covers but do the repacking as needed. Thank you so much... there is a lot to learn on the PUP. I did not do this with my travel trailer.. not smart but didn't use a portal like this.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Are they Bearing Buddies or EZ-Lube hubs ? big difference between the two.. BB's in my opinion, belong on boat trailers.. Have EZ-Lube hubs on the TT and give them a couple pumps of grease each spring..

neighbormike likes this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

There's a thin layer of Butyl rubber on the inside of a tubeless tire that forms the "inner" tube. That layer failed in that spot and is letting air behind the tread rubber. Many times it's in the sidewall, that does the most flexing, and forms a sizable blister.
    [​IMG]

EZ Lube hubs will let you over grease the hubs. Makes hubs run warmer, can sling grease out (hot grease has to go somewhere), can blow the back seal out (cheap grease gun can develop 2000psi), decreases TV fuel mileage (churning excess grease), etc.

Squeeker and kgesiako like this.
  7. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

18F433E6-DA7B-48DA-AAC4-165ABDD98419.jpeg I like to use this for packing bearings. Fill the cup below with grease then the packer goes on top. You put the bearing in then the plunger on top. I usually give it a little twist as you’re pushing down and you will see the fresh grease coming out of every roller so you know you’re getting a nice full pack.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Used properly you'll have very minimal grease slinging, Chances are actually higher you'll develop excess pressure with a good quality grease gun rather then a cheap one.. Cheap one will break long before developing 200 psi.

9. WrkrBee

10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I've always gone old school. A little grease in the palm of my hand and slapping the edge of the bearing into the grease as a move i it around between each slap. It's worked well for decades

WrkrBee likes this.
  11. G T

G T Member

Wouldn't know one from the other if it came up and bit me. Therefore I am sending you a picture so you can tell me what I have... lol...

Attached Files:

12. G T

G T Member

The center part is see through and the outer is a rubber dust cover.

13. G T

G T Member

I replied to this thread to someone but evidently wasn't you. I haven't quite got the hand of it yet. My response was I don't know which one it is but can tell you there is one section that is see through and the other is a rubber boot. Here is a photo.

Attached Files:

14. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

You need to pull the rubber boot off and post a pic of that. Never seen one with a clear section. It looks like you can see inside so does that mean there is no grease in there? Bearing Buddies will have a plate that is pushed in with a spring and has a Zerk grease fitting in the middle. You pump it up with grease until the spring is compressed (pushes out toward you) - put not past that amount. Just the way those are on the end of the hub makes me think it is a BB.

An EZ-lube is just a Zerk on the end of the axle (under a cover). When you grease those, grease goes down the center of the axle to a hole between the inner and outer bearing. You pump grease until you see fresh grease coming out of the outer bearing.

15. WrkrBee

Believe the EZ Lube feeds grease between the back seal and the back bearing. It pushes grease through the back bearing, fills up the hub, then pushes grease through the outside bearing. That's why they want you to spin the tire as you pump grease in.

16. G T

G T Member

looked at it closer and felt of it after removing the boot. it is a design in the metal, not see through. this is what it looks like without the boot.

Attached Files:

17. Squeeker

Squeeker Member

Lol GT you totally highjacked my thread!

18. G T

G T Member

I so sorry!!!

19. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

That is a Bearing Buddy. They are really suited for boat trailers. With the spring, it maintains a positive pressure on the grease to keep water out when launching and retrieving your boat. They don't actually push grease through the bearing like an EZ-lube setup. Wrkrbee, you're right - I looked them up. I retrofitted my Pup about 8 years ago and didn't remember it too clearly.

20. G T

G T Member

did you see the picture of the hub? is this a BB or EZ?

Attached Files: