Fixed Atwood 79 Furnace...THANKS!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by buildintechie, Aug 28, 2014.

1. buildintechie

buildintechie Member

Hey all, I'm a new popup owner, have been camping a few times, and last time I was working/cleaning in the camper I noticed that my furnace (and fridge...thats another thread) wasn't firing, even though the fan was running.

After some extensive research, mostly on here, and a bit on some recommended links (bryantrv) I learned how these furnaces worked, found my culprit to be the sail switch, and learned how to pull the furnace so I could correct the problem, which appeared to be the sail switch rubbing on the bottom of the furnace housing. While I had it apart, I also found a MASSIVE mud-dobber nest inside just above the fan wheel, which probably wasn't helping anything.

Now it fires up on the first try. My other problem is the on/off switch on the thermostat...its kinda bent, and won't make good contact, so I'm going to bypass it and install a rocker switch in the same housing. Cheaper than a new thermostat.

Thanks so much to this forum...ya'll are great!

2. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get the cheapest Hunter replacement thermostat and extend the wiring do you can use Velcro and raise the thermostat off the floor for more accurate temp control and better distribution of heat.

Mounted at floor level, the heater tends to raise the temp near head height to excessive temps to get the air at the floor to the set temp. Hot air rises.

Here is a Honeywell for $10.99. http://www.lowes.com/pd_17151-74493-CT51N1007_4294821950__?productId=3611444&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=