Fixing back wall on Skamper

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Crazycoleman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

Well, I finally got started tearing the Skamper down to repair it after our mishap last camping trip. It looks like it will be pretty straightforward to repair. We are gonna rebuild the roof while we are at it. I am just trying to get the shopping list together. Anyone have any tips or ideas, they are welcome. I have to decide what to use on the ceiling. That is prolly gonna really drive the expense up.
    I do need help locating something. The metal strips at the corners of the camper use a plastic welting type material that goes into the metal strips. I need more of this material, anyone know where to find it?
    Well, here are the pics....
    http://community.webshots.com/album/573184720iAnTRj?start=12

ROb

2. zjrog

zjrog Member

Had to go look for the accident thread... That is about my worst fear right there. I'm 300# myself, and always tend to "stress" everything I sit or sleep on. I THINK I'll be sleeping on the dinette for the first couple trips out!!!

So with the above in mind, while my Starlite is apart and open, I'm wondering if maybe some reinforcing isn't in order...

3. borderunner

borderunner New Member

I get my welting at West Marine, they carry all shape, sizes and thicknesses. Good luck on the repair

4. Crazycoleman

One thing on this deal...It doesn't matter how big the personis in the camper when the wood is rotten. That was what happened to ours. It was just a matter of time until this problem wagged its ugly head. Just make sure everything is in good repair.

ROb

5. Crazycoleman

Going to get supplies for the camper tonight. Got it nearly tore down, and am nearly ready to go back together. I need to recaulk the seams, etc when I finish it up, and I was wondering what y'all recommend to use for that?

ROb

6. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

I perused those photos, wow, you're brave!... I don't mean to dishearten or discourage, but if all you mean to accomplish is to return the camper to it's pre-accident state, I wouldn't bother. I would be looking for another used PUP.
    You're replacing the back wall, the roof is rotting, and the sidewalls look questionable as well. By the time you've bought the new lumber, plywood, interior sheathing, foam, adhesives, fasteners, wiring, welting, caulking, gaskets, lights, paint, etc. (plus all the inbetween trips to the hardware store for all the bits and bobs that we don't know we need until we need them, and the gas to get there) you'll likely have spent more than the trailer cost you in the first place (our trailer cost $300 and we spent $3000+ rehabbing it). On top of that, you'll have lost the bulk of the good weather weekends this year to enjoy it.

On the other hand, if you were planning to take advantage of this mishap and create a whole new custom trailer as some have done, I would be eagerly waiting for photos. :)

7. Crazycoleman

We actually got the trailer for free. All I had invested in it before the accident was a new tire and tags. I have looked at some pups around here that size, and they are all well over 1000 bucks. A friend of mine gave 1900 for one newer than ours, but a 12 footer, and he is gonna have to do the same work to the roof. I don't know about other parts of the country, but the pup market around here has shot up drastically. The materials aren't running so high on this project, it is just the time. By the time I work out in the heat (100+ degrees most days) the last thing I want to do is get covered in rotten wood remains tearing that junk out...but I am gonna have to bite the bullet and get it done. We are not really planning to do anything "custom" with the trailer, but there are a few items that we are probably gonna change a little bit to make the trailer more user friendly. I got most of the lumber cut today to put it back together, hopefully tomorrow I can finish tearing everything out. Going out of town for the weekend, but it will be a long week next week working on the ole Skamper.

ROb

8. Crazycoleman

Just an update...GOt all of the old wood in the roof tore out yesterday. That stuff is nasty. And the worst part, the wood that isn't rotten, it sure doesn't want to come out. Huge pain the butt. I got the new boards put in the front and rear of the roof. I got the side boards cut, but they are a hair long still, so I am gonna trim them a little bit. I still lack some cutting and building to get the rear wall ready to reassemble. It is a process, but it will be worth it. I bought a sheet of 3/4 plywood to replace the back wall. It only took prolly 1/3 of the sheet to do that, so we got saw happy and cut out several pieces to replace some of the wood in the interior that is getting spongy and soft, which includes the table. It had a very nice curve to it, and had swollen to about 1 1/2" around the edges :).

ROb

9. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Ouch, how did that happen? Was it rear ended or did everything give way from rotted wood?

10. Crazycoleman

Fryer, that happened at around 3:00 am one Sunday morning when we were in Kansas for a family reunion. It was quite the awakening :).

I finally got all the pieces cut and reassembled the ends of the sidewalls and got them back on the trailer. And the high point of my week....I got the back wall put back on!!!!!!! I had to peel the skin back on both sides of the trailer to get everything tore down, and I got all the skin reattached tonight on the sides, and also got the rear skin on. From the outside, the trailer looks complete now, minus tail lights and the spare tire holder. I still have a piece of panelling inside to replace, and some finishing work on the inside of the back wall to do before I can reinstall the dinette bench and rear bed. I wanted to get pictures tonight, but it got dark before I could, so maybe tomorrow. If I can just finish getting everything gathered and cut for the roof, and get it installed, she should be ready for our trip labor day weekend!!!

ROb

11. Crazycoleman

It is update and picture time. There are some current pictures on the link above...last picture on page 2, and pic's on page 3. I got all the sideboards installed on the roof last night. Now I just have to put all the little boards along the top in the ceiling. That should be tons-o-fun. The back wall is back in the camper. Things are progressing along at a rabid snails pace I spose. I still have to order a new roof vent and buy the paint for the roof, and sealant. Labor Day is fast approaching, and we want atleast one dry run in the driveway before we leave. Guess I better shake off the lazy bones and get after it :). I tried something on the ceiling. The panelling in the ceiling was originally retained by strips of aluminum glued to the styrofoam. I removed the styrofoam where the middle strip was last night and glued a 1x2 in there instead. I jacked it up so it took the sag out of the roof and put a little pitch back in it. I am about to go out and take the jack out before I leave for work. I used Liquid Nails to glue the board it, so I am hoping with it set up good that maybe the board will hold the curve. Not really sure though...carpentry is not really more cup of tea.

ROb

12. Crazycoleman

The Skamper is back in nearly campable shape!!!!! Got the rest of the ceiling installed, and got the tracks and canvas up!! It is very exciting to see it looking like a pup again. Got a new vent and installed it yesterday. I have painted the roof with Elastomeric trailer house paint. I guess we will see how that stands up. All I have left is a little electrical work and caulking the roof. It sure needs a good cleaning after the resto work. Lots of rotten wood and nasty stuff all over. Clean it up and install the cushions back in it, and we are ready to go camping!!!!

ROb

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Well how did the trip go???

How is the pup? Is it alive??

14. Crazycoleman

The pup is doing wonderful. Labor day was great. Two weeks later I had 5 of us staying in it for the weekend, and last weekend we took it when we went to the drag races at Ennis, Tx...got a few things to touch up, and more projects in the works, but she camps pretty sweet.

ROb