Fixing privacy curtains

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by MarkNJ, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MarkNJ

MarkNJ New Member

Does anyone know how to remove the privacy curtains from a pop-up to repair the hangers? A number of the hangers for the privacy curtain on the rear slide-out are broken. These are sewn into the curtains and slide in a track that extends the width of the trailer with no room on either side to slide them out. It looks like the track itself is what holds on the canvas over the slide-out, so I'd rather not mess with removing the track.

PopupParts.com has the replacement hangers but no instructions on how go about replacing them.

Thanks much.

2. latitude11

latitude11 New Member

Does the track have screws in it? Maybe it gets screwed in with the curtains already on?

3. earnhardt8

earnhardt8 New Member

I'm not exactly sure how yours are made. Mine were little white plastic squares that slid and the curtains were sewed onto them. I made new curtains with American flags on them for every curtain in the camper. On mine, they seemed to pop off, but you couldn't take them off at each end, there was no room. I had to push them down or up and then they kind of just slid off the metal track. What I did with mine was leave the plastic clips up and used velcro glue. I glued the velcro on the plastic clips, and then I stuck the other part of velcro(fuzzy part) on my curtains and then sewed a strip all the way across them, they'll never come off. That way I can take my privacy curtains down if I want to. I actually did this for every curtain in the camper. They come on and of when you want them too, however, they won't come off unless you pull on them. They're on there VERY tight. It's just an idea!!!

Brian & Shannon
    2003 GMC Z71
    1994 Fleetwood destiny PUP

4. MarkNJ

MarkNJ New Member

latitude11: Yes, there is a screw on either end, but it looks like this track also holds the canopy of the bed-ends to the hard roof. I'm not anxious to have to re-attach all my canvas if that is true.

earnhardt8: <a href="http://www.popupparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9">Here</a> is a link to the hanger tab on PopupParts.com. When you say yours would "pop off" I'm wondering with how much force? Looking at mine, the thick part of the tab that fits into the track looks like it will never pull out of the small gap in the slide.

I do like your idea re: Velcro. I would definitely like to be able to take down the curtains and wash them periodically.

5. jaydog

jaydog New Member

Could always cut a small notch in the track to accommodate the hanger tab. Just don't cut it to big and you will be able to still get it off. That is what the previous owner of our Jayco did, but it has plastic tracks for the curtains.

J.

Edited by - jaydog on June 06 2007 14:24:02

6. MarkNJ

MarkNJ New Member

Thanks, Jaydog, that's what I think I'll do. When I put them back in I'll put in a couple of small screws to keep them from coming back out.

7. Bobbie Scott

Bobbie Scott New Member

Ours were just white plastic things, and they popped out, and when we put them back after washing, they just popped in. WE had to sort of go either up ofr down with them, and they came right out. Hope you get yours done.

DW Bobbie
    DH Sonny
    1993 Coleman Destiny Royale
    2000 GMC Jimmy

8. johnandleann

johnandleann New Member

I guess I removed ours the hard way then. I raised the top just so it was comfortable for to reach the screws that held the track in place. I stood outside of the trailer with the beds pushed in still and removed just enough of the screws so that the track could could be lowered to allow the curtains to slide off the track. The curtains that were in there originally were moldy and mouse eaten.
    We have a '93 coleman

9. leamum

leamum New Member

After a little trial and error, I found that I was able to remove the curtains by popping them out of the track with a large screwdriver. Seemed to work best with putting pressure to pop out bottom side first. Then they pop back in after I washed the curtains. I removed every curtain in our trailer and didn't break any of them. I used fabric glue to fix the spots where the curtain had detached from the hanger. Good luck.