FL - Bahia Honda

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RD, Aug 7, 2009.

1. RD

RD New Member

Question...how in the hell do you get into this place? I've been looking and looking to reserve online and cant get any open dates. I don't care if it is years in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Well, we just drove in [}:)] Seriously, we have been there many times, but not camping. Love the beach. We go to Key West at least once a year and always go up to Bahia Honda State Park. Don't know much about the camping there. Saw quite a few campers on our day trips. Is there a website for Florida State Parks? Possibly someone from Fla will be able to help. Good Luck!

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I looked it up on the net. I believe you have to go through Reserve America.
    Full Facility Camping
    There are 3 different campgrounds in the park. Reservations may be made up to 11 months in advance, the sites book quickly so make your plans well in advance. For reservations, please call Reserve America at 1-800-326-3521 or online at www.reserveamerica.com Buttonwood- (#1 - #48) This campground can accommodate a variety of camping rigs from a large RV to a small tent. The sites are more suitable for an RV or pop-up because they are gravel. The Buttonwood sites have very little shade and are the largest sites in the park. They all have electricity, water, a picnic table and grill. There is also a bathhouse with hot showers and a dump station for sewage. The waterfront sites in this area are #12 - #25, but keep in mind #12 and #13 are by the boat docks and #14 is on the channel coming into the boat docks. Sandspur- (#49 - #72) These sites are the most beautiful in the park but are very small and have low clearance. They are located in a very rare habitat called a hardwood hammock. Tents can fit on all of these sites and a few sites will accommodate small pop-ups. RVs are not permitted in this area, the sites are much too small. All of these sites have a picnic table, grill and water, #57 - #72 also have electricity. The waterfront sites in this area are #64 - #72. Bayside- (#73 - #80) This campground is the smallest with only 8 sites and no electricity. Bayside campground has a vehicle height restriction, like the cabins, of 6 feet 8 inches. Your vehicle has to be able to go under the New Bahia Honda Bridge. The sites have a picnic table, grill and water. There is a small bathhouse nearby with outside cold showers and no electricity. You are welcome to use the large bathhouse in the Buttonwood campground that is one-half mile away. Campsites are $43.00 per night including taxes. Maximum occupancy is 8 people per site; in 2 tents, or one RV and one tent.

4. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

I know FL Sp's have to be reserved thru Reserve America.

Best thing I can say is keep trying...eventually you'll catch a cancellation, etc. Probably because it's a little slice of heaven and everyone wants to stay there [;)]

5. RD

RD New Member

Thanks for the responses and help! I'm just a little frustrated, because I look all the time at RA and it's always booked.

6. FC

FC Central Florida

RD--You have to book out 11 months in advance if you want a spot. Its Eden man, what else can I say.

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Also try Long Key State Park and John Pennekamp. It's the Keys, so you ahve to book 11 months out. I booked Long Key for Memorial Day weekend next year at the end of June! We stayed at Pennekamp this year and it was fun.

8. wardog

wardog Member

I also called one of the Florida SP about the camping. I couldn't get a reservation either. I was told that some people book a day at a time when the day opens 11 months in advance. Each day they get on to book the next day available in order to get a week together. This means, if you have to cancel you get charged the $10 fee for each reservation. I don't have a set date yet for next summer so I can't afford to try that.

I wanted to go to the keys or Destine and both are pretty well full. Good luck.

9. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

This thread makes me smile Bahia Honda was where my husband and I had our first date and also where we got married. My stepson and his wife were married there as well. We also stayed there after hurricane georges and helped out with the restoration. We have a trip there next month as I cannot climb the steps to the kids house anymore due to back surgery so we decided to camp there and the family can visit us at the campsite.

10. RD

RD New Member

Ahh, I see. I was using the Reserve America site incorrectly by going too far in advance when the dates were not available yet. I am now seeing a small amount of sites available.

Thanks everybody for all of your help.

Do you guys have any sites that you recommend? I know it's going to be hard to get the beach front ones. Should I absolutely insist on getting a beach front one? Did anybody happen to write down the good ones? [:D]

Also, what do you guys think about taking my dog? Should this be the trip that I board him?

I think I will try one of the others too.

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

RD
    Good for you, glad you finally got in. When we were there all the sites seemed nice. Lots of sand of course, but the sites we saw were not too far from the water. So, don't know if I would insist on a waterfront site. When you go, please make not of the good sites and let us all know and of course, post some pics. Hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

12. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

We stayed there for a week in late April, awesome. We had site 64. Sites 62-72 are the sites right on the beach, site 64 is the first one of those with beach access, sites 62 and 63 do not have their own private access, 64-72 do. Only some of these beach front ones can accept a pop-up, and the site description on RA will let you know which ones do and which ones accept only tents. I think there was a discrepency between RA and the actual state park rules, so you may want to call the park directly before you book. The ones that don't accept pop-ups are either too small or have some overhanging limbs.

The buttonwood loop is nice, not much shade, but you are closer to the marina, the bridge, and calusa beach. These sites are also a hot ticket...I think sites12-18 are nice. Any site at Bahia is awesome, even if the site is relatively crappy....you're in one of the best spots in all the Keys. I'll try to attach some pics for your viewing pleasure. [A]

13. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

Site 72[​IMG]

14. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

[​IMG]

Site 64...a bit tight, but hey.

15. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

[​IMG]

[:D]

16. RD

RD New Member

Nascar Fan, thanks! I'll take note of the sites and take some pictures. Will be a while before I make it though! [;)]

Mr. Commerce, thanks so much for those pictures. It looks absolutely beautiful!! You have almost convinced me on site 64. It looks perfect. Now, if I can just book it... [:!]

17. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Oh man! Can I live on the beach someday [:D]

18. FC

FC Central Florida

A couple of years ago we stayed at the buttonwood sites by the bridge. I did not like the location because of the traffic noise. I am a light sleeper. Also the rocks on the ground where big and would hurt your feet. I would much perfer the beach sites. [:D]

19. becasunshine

becasunshine New Member

I'm hoping that Paul and Heidi of MostlyOK will chime in here. They are in FLA and I believe they are familiar with Bahia Hondo. If they don't show up in this thread send them a message. They are active on this site, a really nice couple, and they are always happy to help in a thread.

Bahia Hondo is on our short list of "Must See" parks- but we've yet to carve out the time for the trip. I too will watch this thread- congrats to you for getting a site!

20. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

I just booked site # 72 for the first week in 2011. Calling the office they didn't seem too knowledgable about what would actually fit on the site. The 14-ft long thing has to be a joke - especially after looking at Google maps aerial photo. Looking at the photo above I fell any pop up would fit that site. Mine is fairly large (12-ft box, slide out and storage trunk). Anyone know for sure what can fit on these oceanfront sites? The 8-ft height restriction has me a bit worried, since popped up with the a/c on the roof I imagine I am over 9-ft high. But again, Google makes it look like a wide open site.