FL - Bahia Honda

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RD, Aug 7, 2009.

1. RD

RD New Member

Yeah, I would have loved to stay on the beach, but I was concerned about the 14 foot length as well. In regards to the 8ft restriction, I'm pretty sure that is in place, because of a tunnel of some sort that you have to cross under. I don't think that will be a problem for you since you won't be popped up for that. (please someone correct me if i'm wrong.)

I'll be there in Sept if nobody chimes in and I'll look at the site if you want.

2. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

Thanks, that would be great, thanks for the offer... 14-ft has to be wrong, I mean my Honda Odyssey is probably 16-ft long by itself, and that is not a long vehicle. A standard parking space is 19 to 20-ft long!

The google aerial photo shows two cars parked on the site with room to spare, and it doesn't even look shady?

3. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

Sometimes parks will limit the trailer size due to manuverability of the site. Example: A site could be 50 feet long, but if the road leading to it is narrow/tight, you'll only be able to back-in a shorter trailer. There may not be enough space to back in a long rig.

4. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

Good point about the access / backing. I hadn't thought of that. Fortunately I am very maneuverable with my rig being hitched to a smaller tv.

RD, what are you camping in (pup or tent?) when you go in Sept?

For one group of sites (bayside) your car needs to be 6'-8" or less to get under a low bridge. That doesn't apply to the Sandspur loop, but the 8-ft limit appears to be to do with vegetation in or approaching the sites.

5. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

jms, I am pretty sure your rig will fit. Site 72 is at the end of the row and backing in shouldn't be a problem as there is the "through road" very near and that should aid in your maneuvering, you can probably see this from google maps. The height restriction is because of the fact that some of the sites (69 and a few others?) in that area have trees with overhanging limbs...there is no tunnel or other issues on that side, but if one is to go to the bayside cabins, one would have to go under US-1 and this can be a problem for TTs and larger, high riding vehicles.

There is no shade on that site, or for most sites at Bahia Honda, but since you will be there in the winter, the sun should not be a problem. Site 72 is awesome, direct beach access to basically your own private beach. We set our chairs on the sand and left them there the whole week, it was probably our best camping trip to date.

6. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

Thanks commerce, I feel better already. Now if it were only 2011 already!

7. RD

RD New Member

I will be in a pop-up.

I wish I would have gone ahead and booked the site on SS loop now. [;)]

8. kotaylor2

kotaylor2 New Member

I would love to go to BH again but my last trip wasn't so positive. My wife will not go again because of the non-flush toilets. Didn't bother me but she.... [:(O]

I used to go there for spring break when I was in Scouts. The scouts had their own island (Camp Sawyer) that we would stay at and visit the park during the week. I never jumped off the bridge into the water though, but some of them did (from the train tracks).