FL - Manatee Springs State Park and Collier-Seminole State Park

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BrendaD1123, Aug 22, 2009.

1. BrendaD1123

BrendaD1123 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We are booked into both of these state parks during the first two weeks of February. Has anyone here been to either one? I did read for Collier-Seminole that the tent loop was the best loop and I managed to grab the last site in that loop (we do camp with a tent).

Other than that, any feedback on either of these parks?

Thank you in advance!

2. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

Never been to Collier, but have been several times to MSSP. Great park....any specific information/feedback you are looking for?

3. BrendaD1123

Mostly just looking for info on the campgrounds. Because we're in a tent, we like a fair bit of privacy. I see both parks have hiking trails and canoeing which we love, so I was just looking for general info on the campgrounds. How close together are the sites, is there vegetation between sites, etc.

Thanks!

4. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

Most of the sites are large with decent privacy, nice trails for hiking and biking. I think site 61 is one of the best sites there, big with no neighbors on the one side, same for site 72. Both of these are in the Magnolia 2 loop...Hickory loop has good sites and this loop is closer to the spring, but I have never stayed in this loop so I am not too familiar with size and privacy.

We love MSSP, it is one of my favorites....you will not be disappointed. If you get there and don't like your site, I imagine you will be able to move to another as February is not very crowded.....temps can get into the upper teens, which makes the spring feel that much nicer [:D]

Also, there is a super wal-mart about 6 or 7 miles away, which can come in handy.

I'll try to post some pics of the park.

5. BrendaD1123

I'd love to see some pics, that would be great, thanks. Both sites you mentioned are booked but we got site 99 which shows a fair amount of space on one side of us. I'm still not sure about Collier-Seminole, I might end up cancelling that park and picking another (campground isn't getting great reviews and our site - 16 - backs right onto another site), but we've never camped at Florida state parks before and there are so many options, we don't know where to go. I'll keep looking!

Thanks for your help.

6. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

[​IMG]

This is the main spring, in summer.

7. BrendaD1123

Oh beautiful!!! I read that the spring stays a constant 72F year-round too so I imagine at the beginning of February, it'll feel warm compared to the outside air.

Thanks a lot - I can't wait!!!!!

8. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

[​IMG]
    The spring in late January...with scuba diver.

72 year round, yes, so when it is 40, it feels nice.

[​IMG]

The boardwalk that runs along the spring run to the river, in winter.

[​IMG]

9. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

If you cancel Collier, a few options that provide good canoeing opportunities are Oscar Scherer SP and Koreshan SP. We have been to OSSP many times and like this one a lot, Koreshan only been through to check it out, but we plan to stay there in the near future. Koreshan is on the Estero river and close to some fantastic beaches. OSSP is on a blackwater creek with many sites on the water, and it is also close to great beaches.

Another park worth serious consideration is Ft. Desoto in St. Petersburg, a county park with about 225 sites, many on the water, and a great beach nearby as well.

10. BrendaD1123

You've given us a lot to think about, we really appreciate the help. We've camped in Florida before but it was years ago when the kids were younger, we camped at Fort Wilderness in Disney with the pop-up. This will be the first time in state parks. I don't want to wish my summer away but I'm so looking forward to it, lol.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

11. FL Crackers

FL Crackers New Member

If you ever WANT to camp at Collier-Seminole, February is the month to do it. Besides the conspicuous absence of bugs (including noseeums), there are usually several festivals going on the Collier and/or Lee counties. Check the tourism sites as you get closer to the date.

If you haven't already found it, the Florida State Parks web site has a link to every park and each link has photo albums that you can browse.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/FindaPark.cfm

12. BrendaD1123

Thank you! I still have my reservation at Collier-Seminole and unless I find a park we want to camp at more, I'll keep it.