FL - northwest FL campgrounds

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
I know of a few I have been to (but never camped as we just recently got our pup) for the Northwest Florida/panhandle area, at least Okaloosa and Santa Rosa Counties....
There are 2 campgrounds at Karick Lake, North and South...
Bear Lake, currently closed until the lake levels come back up, the spring rain and floods breached the dam but I hear it is due to open again any day now...
Hurricane Lake...
multiple campgrounds along the Blackwater River, the best seems to be the Blackwater State Forest campground.

Oh and all of these have fishing closeby so bring your tackle and/or boat!

flakeyspam

Jan 23, 2009
Falling waters, three rivers, florida caverns and torreya are all nice as well we spent a week last year up in your area and had a ball three rivers is nice because you can get a spot right by the fishing pier.

steverobin

Jun 9, 2009
ALABAMA
blackwater is our favorite they dont have a large number of spots so it can be kind of hard to
find a place we are also going to big lagoon next month for a try

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Found out that according to most of the related websites, I guess Bear Lake opened towards the end of July... I have not been there since the problems, but I was there 2 days before it broke and saw the highest water I have ever seen there.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
We stayed at Fred Gannon/Rocky Bayou SP CG (Niceville, FL) for a single night last night and it is very nice. A great smaller CG with plenty of space and nature between campsites so you are not on top or bumping into your neighbors.
We cooked our hotdogs and smores on the inground fire grate.
Firewood was $4.50 per bundle which is real reasonable, the spot cost $16 a night (plus taxes).
We had such a great time that the wife is already look at availability in the next weekend or two.

msgypsy

Never pass up an opportunity to go camping.
Jun 12, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I've been to Big Lagoon, Grayton Beach and Torreya so far. Hopefully I can get a site at Blackwater River. I haven't been there yet. Fort Pickens is open now. I have to try and get in there, too.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
from what I have seen, Big Lagoon seems to always have spots open but it also does mediocre on the rvreview website:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Florida/Pensacola.html#CGID773

Blackwater is a very nice campground thus always busy in the summer and holiday weekends.

I have heard good things about Three Rivers CG so we have 3 nights there this coming Labor Day weekend.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Florida/Sneads.html#CGID811

The main ones that complain about many of these northwest FL CGs are the ones that can't get satellite or expect it to be a Ritz-Carlton managed CG