FL- St. Joseph Peninsula State Park- shhhhh!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by gooch6509, Nov 14, 2012.

1. gooch6509

gooch6509 New Member

Spent a long Veteran's Day weekend at this place. We have tent camped in the past, but just bought our PUP and took it on the maiden voyage.

St. Joseph never disappoints. The close proximity to the beach is the main plus for us. You will not find a prettier beach in Florida and it's never crowded. The campground however is usually crowded on the weekends.

Great hiking too!

I asked the ranger if racoons were a problem. He said "no" since there are coyotes and dogs around. Of course the first night the racoons show up. No problem. Just empty the trash every night before bed.

There are a handful of sites that are ideal, the rest are just too small.

2. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We have never been there, any pics?

3. rsdata

rsdata Member

St. Joseph Peninsula State Park - shhhhh! [;)] I agree... don't tell too many about this great site.

I went for two weeks in Feb, 2012 and have reservations for another 2 weeks in 2013. Raccoons are all over the place in this park. They were not a problem for us as we cleaned up outside everynight and kept coolers in the TV, but we could hear them fighting or mating or whatever coons do at night [SNZ] every night the wind was not blowing. You could see them lounging and eating tree fruits in the palmetto trees even during the day.

This SP is in two sections. The first section you come to is real close to the beach. I doubt that you would have to walk much further than 120 yards from most campsites to reach the boardwalk that takes you over the dunes to the wide beach [8D]. This is a great place to shore fish. You can walk the beach for a mile or more. There are boardwalks that allow you to walk through a marshy area to view birds.

The second CG section is the larger of the two campgrounds. It is also a further walk to the beach boardwalk, but it is still pretty close. The camp spaces in the second campground are a bit larger then the first, but most of the perimeter camp spots in the first are fairly large and private. It is only the inside loops that put the camp sites pretty close to each other.

The campground is near the end of the peninsula and it is about a 20 mile drive to a large grocery store, McDonalds, [HB] and other businesses in Port St. Joe. There are other mom and pop stores, bait shops and gas stations on the peninsula that appreciate your business. :) Having a bike to ride here is a plus. [BY]

Last year I camped at three different SP campgrounds in the panhandle area. I liked this one the best as it was well away from roads, noise and the rest of humanity. At the other two SP campgrounds I heard traffic all night long while in my popup [PU], although the many motor homes were probably quiet inside. When you are on the beach at St. Joe SP, you are looking almost due West so there is nothing to see but a sunset. [8D]

Bring your surf pole and buy a license because there are fish to be caught from the shore. I don't kayak, nor did I drag my boat behind my popup, but there certainly are oppertunities to boat or kayak in the protected bay side of the peninsula in what looks like fairly shallow water. This is a very nice SP that I will probably visit every year in the late winter.

4. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

we have reservations for there this summer can't wait

5. rsdata

rsdata Member

I have some campsite [CP] photos uploaded from the Gulf Breeze section of this state park. These photos were taken in February of 2012. I don't have all of the campsites photographed. You can tell the campsite by the name of the photo.
    The link is
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91725147@N03/sets/72157632532796478/

I believe if you click on the photo in the slideshow it will show you the name/site in the photo.

I'm still new at posting photos and links to photos so let me know if this link does not work...

6. mmdarden

mmdarden New Member

In Oct. 2012 we went for a long weekend and tent camped. Great place to kayak and see the marine life. Will definitely go back next Oct. We always go the week after the 4th of July to St. Andrews SP and LOVE it. My fav. We just bought a 1993 Coleman Rio Grande and am so looking forward to using it. We have been tent camping since the kids are in college but dang, that ground was getting further and further away and, therefore, harder to get upright! We are "beach people" so if it is not St. Andrews...then St. Joseph's and sometimes soon, St. George's SP. Fishing, sitting under my unbrella and reading....taking a picnick...shelling...oh, good times. :)

7. TigerCamper

TigerCamper New Member

We went for 3 days in June 2009. Loved it so much we are spending a week there starting next weekend.

I love this park. We didn't see racoons in 09 but did see deer, crabs (crossing the road), and sand rats.
    We had two deer almost walk into the laundry facilities with my wife one night.

8. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Just made reservations for a week for next April for the kids spring break. I heard about the park thanks to the Portal and I am really looking forward to camping here. We got site 29 in the Gulf breeze section. We are driving down from Eastern NC so I am looking for a campground in Georgia to stop at for a day or 2 to break the the trip up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. [8D]

9. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

Skidaway Island State Park outside Savannah is an excellent site. we love it there. Hunting Island State Park, SC is just north of Savannah is also nice.

Enjoy your trip!

10. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

I heard about Cape San Blas (where St Jos SP is) from a friend before we got "Poppy", he suggested renting a house. We have 8 nights (yeehaaa) booked in April and we are thrilled. For old kids like us planning and dreaming is so much of the fun...

11. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Is anyone willing to share their site # recommendation(s) for the Shady Pines loop at St. Joseph State Park? With a very young child, our priority is space so that we don't bother anyone else. I know these sites are pretty close together but maybe some would be better than others? Thinking about going in February with my wife and our daughter who will be about 18 months old at that time.

I understand it may be too cold for swimming but we are really more interested in hiking, bike riding, and kayaking in the bay.

Any site # suggestions you can recommend would be great - or if you can give me some reasons why the Gulf Breeze loop would be better even though there is less shade. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Jim

12. kybishop

kybishop TV-1994 Toyota Landcruiser

We really enjoy St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. One of our favorites. We have been there the last two years and are going again this year.

We tent camped there in 2014 in sites 107 and 108 in the Shady Pines Campground. Got a lot of rain and some storms that year. I don't have any pictures of the site itself. It is a short walk to the beach.

In 2015 we stayed in cabin #8, the very last cabin (and building)on the peninsula. The rest of the peninsula past this cabin is dunes, trails and beaches. The cabins are located on the bay side and are really nice to stay in. You can keep your kayaks at the cabin and paddle right up to bay side beach. Snorkel in the bay, look for clams and just wade around and relax.

You can walk to the beach on the gulf side beach. It is a hike through the dunes but not that far.

The photos below are the gulf side and the dunes from the 2014 trip after the storms.

Attached Files:

13. kybishop

The pictures below are of the bay side from our 2015 trip.

Attached Files:

14. kybishop

We stayed in cabin 7 this past July 2016. Absolutely wonderful again. Crystal clear water and just the perfect temp for swimming. The bugs were not bad during the day but come night time and if you have a light source, they can get pretty bad in July.

Attached Files:

15. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

We are headed here in June for a week. We reserved site#7 in Gulf Breeze. The girls are super excited about going to the beach.

16. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Spent a week there or Mexico Beach, 4 out of past 5 years. We will be there this July.
    I recommend the seafood restaurant, in downtown Apalachicola.

17. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

Is it Hole in the Wall Seafood?

18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

It is the Seafood Grill Restaurant. It is on the corner of the main intersection. We like to walk downtown and check out the shops too.

19. geologist1

geologist1 Member

We are currently at site #8 in gulf breeze! You'll enjoy it as sites 7-8-9 are definitely more private and spacious then the interior sites. It's about 50 yards to bathhouse and 100 yards to beach boardwalk

RollTide30 likes this.
  20. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is my favorite state park in Florida. Love going there.

geologist1 likes this.