FL - Tropical Palms Resort, Orlando/Kissimmee

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Kimmygr, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Tropical Palms Resort
    2650 Holiday Trl , Kissimmee, FL - 34746

http://www.tropicalpalmsresortfl.com/

Check-in time: 1p
    Check-out time: 11a

This is a really nice place to experience Orlando and everything Orlando has to offer. If you would like to experience resort "camping," and for one reason or another, cannot get into Fort Wilderness, this is the next best option. It is also a lot cheaper than Ft Wilderness, so you have a little extra to spend at those Orlando Parks or for shopping!

Prices vary according to site and time of year. The cheapest are the sites without sewer hookup, ranging around the $50 range depending upon time of year. All sites have water/elec/cable and wifi throughout the campground. The sites are pretty large for a private campground (I think) and although there is no privacy between sites you should not feel crammed. Our site was #445 along the back row of the park- no sewer. It was a pretty good site, approx 25 ft wide. It was so long that with our little Columbia camper we could have had our camper with 7ft awning extended, 2 vehicles, our 14x9 tent, and 8x8 screenroom, along with the golf cart we rented and still have had some room! This may be because we were on the back row along the fence, which was great! Our site did not have a pad, it was all grass and we were under some shade trees.

We did not venture to the Orlando Parks, but I hear they are not too far and I did not ask if they provided any type of transportation there. So you would have to call and ask.

There is plenty to do in the campground. A heated swimming pool and kiddie pool, playground, miniature golf course, shuffle board, cornhole, volleyball court, and basketball court. Inside the main building where you check-in at there is a game room with a pool table and some other things. I believe most of the items to participate in these activities are available at the main building. I do not know if there is a small deposit or fee. Also, you can rent a golf cart @ $50/day to roam and explore the campground if you do not have bicycles. Every Friday and Saturday night the campground features a dive-in movie. You can swim and watch a movie with your Family. And for those who enjoy a nice cold one, at the pool there is a lounge which serves alcohol and food. My friend recommends for the beer drinker, to order the pitcher. You keep this pitcher throughout your stay and you can have it refilled for approx $3.00/refill as many times as you like during your stay. Then you turn it in when you check-out.

The Bath houses are very clean and air conditioned/ heated.

Just up the road from Tropical Palms is Old Town. Lots of shopping and an amusement park with free admission, however you have to pay $5 for parking. But, it is not to far to walk or ride a bike too. Maybe a quarter mile outside the entrance to the campground. The amusement park is a free to enter, but you have to either buy tickets to ride the rides or an all day armband. If you have older teenagers that get bored with the pool, this is a great place for them.

The campground is located about 6 miles from Medieval Times Dinner show and even closer to Arabian Nights. I highly recommend paying the $ to go to Medieval Times! It was a ton of fun and the food is great! They really get the crowd involved in cheering for their section's Knight. There is jousting, sword play, spear games where the knights must grab small rings with their spears at full gallop. They also bring out their beautiful Spanish Horses (Andalusians I believe) and perform a wonderful dance with many Dressage moves. It looks like the horses are dancing. It was a great show and even the kids really enjoyed it.

It truly is a great place to stay. A little pricey if you are used to State Parks and County Parks, but no worse than other private campgrounds. In fact I think it is cheaper than many since you can have up to 6 people on a site without paying extra/person like some other private campgrounds.

I highly recommend this place even if you just want to get out and "camp." I would definitely go back if all the more local SP were booked for an impromptu trip if I have the $ to spend.

If you would like to see pictures you can check out my thread here on the portal:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=80997.0

My laptop broke while we were there, so I cannot post a link to an album on photobucket until I get it fixed and the pictures uploaded.

Thanks for reading my review!

2. campermom

campermom Member

Thanks for the review we have drove by here several times and I wondered how it was. Looks like a nice place to just get away for the weekend. And really close to home [:D]