Flagstaff 228D opinions

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CampingCubFan, May 7, 2017.

1. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

The search continues! Today I hope to check out a camper a couple hours' drive away -- it's a Flagstaff 228D. If you have this camper, can you share pros, cons, things to look for?
    It has most of what I want -- a bathroom/shower, pop-out kitchen, and couch that can turn into a bed. I prefer the Coleman Utah layout (two king beds, outside stove, storage trunk) but they are hard to come by! This has a storage rack on the back that could work nicely.
    One downside: The zipper for the awning in broken so we'll need to have that repaired.
    Love to hear your thoughts on this one!

https://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/6093707613.html

Towing with a Toyota Sienna, with tow package and newly installed electric brake controller.

2. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

I have a 228D and love it. The one thing particular to this camper is that the section behind the slide-out where the furnace is is very short. This puts the weight of the bed cantilevered on this short piece of box and that section of box tends to twist away from the frame and cause the slide to appear out of alignment. It's not the slide that is out of alignment, it is that section of the box.

There is a page on the internet with photos how someone repaired by reinforcing the attachment of this section of box to the frame. I did something similar to mine. It's not hard to do and maybe not necessary for all campers, but the repair brought mine into alignment and is easier to use the slide now.

Other than that all the usual camper stuff... check for water and rodent damage, test all the sytems, etc... Any commercial tent or awning place can replace the awning zipper.

I tow with a Grand Caravan and have gone through the rockies with 2 adults and 3 kids and it performed great! Modern minivans are very capable tow vehicles.

3. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

Thanks! The owner did tell me there are mildew stains on one side. Cause for concern? I have attached a picture.

Attached Files:

4. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

Mine has similar stains that I have been meaning to scrub off since I bought it 3 years ago, but haven't done it yet. They are cosmetic and don't affect the way it works at all. Search on the forum and you will find out what others have used and their success at removing them. Don't pass it up over that though.

5. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I have a 228D and love it! I got a slide out support for the dinette. I have used the shower and we use the toilet. We just weighed it and it came in at 2200lbs. We bought ours new in 2011 and it has been a great addition to our life. I would suggest to anyone to get the 228D

6. cyndib

cyndib Member

There is a cleaner from Bass Pro (it's mentioned on this site) It works wonders and will clean the mildew right off. You will never even know it was there.

uno676 likes this.
  7. CampingCubFan

CampingCubFan Member

Thanks for the helpful advice, 228D owners. This one sold, as did another that came on on Craigslist a week later (it had been posted three hours and sold before I could go see it). Hoping another Flagstaff 228 or 228D comes available. Favorite model right now. I also like the Utah, but it's a bit heavy for our Toyota Sienna minivan. Thanks all! Let me know if you see any good deals on in the Midwest!