Flagstaff Rockwood dead in the campground & won't lift.

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by PainInTheButt, Jun 22, 2011.

1. PainInTheButt

PainInTheButt Old Time Camper - New Time Pupper

Here's PainInTheButt again. [:D]

I have an '09 Flagstaff with an elctric lift. I put Rockwood in the title because these campers are made so much alike.

Problem is that the lift won't work! Battery is okay, fully charged. I did read somewhere else that it can be manually lifted but it can take half an hour! [:(] Also, it was supposed to come with some kind of tool to do this but I didn't get one with this second hand camper.

Sooooo where do I manually lift this, and what do I use? Sure could use a quick reply because my PUP is sitting up at the campground where I have a two week reservation.

2. br9

br9 Member

I had that prob with my Coleman a couple times. My service guy told me to wiggle the remote plug where it plugs in and it worked for me. On my Coleman you just unplugged the motor from 12 volt and stuck the crank in the back of motor. It only took about 10 minutes to lift ours manually with rest breaks. I know it's not a flagstaff but maybe it will help get you started in the right direction. Also our crank for the stabs was the same one used for the lift. Good luck.

3. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

my buddy has a Starcraft with the electric lift and had a similar issue. I went and bypass the battery and hooked the electric motor throught and to shore line. It worked and he was able to lift. I then suggested to plug the battery for re-charge while hooked-up to shore line.

4. huizarr

huizarr Member

We have a Rockwood HW296 with an electric lift. For us there is a 50A circuit breaker (actually 2 -25A in parallel) connected to the battery and there was also a 60A in-line fuse under the motor shroud. Might want to check there and see if the fuse is blown.

For our lift there is a plastic cover on the top left of the motor shroud that you remove to perform the manual lift. This last camping trip we found the tool (it looks like a speed drive handle with a socket welded to the end) to perform the manual lift under the mattress.

Good luck.

5. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Hi Pain, not sure if its the same lift or not that we have on our viking, but ours is the same as the one on our friends rockwood so here goes...

First thing i'd check is the back of the switch. I read a few posts where a connection comes loose.
    If that doesn't help, then this is where our manual crank bolt is...
    On our friends rockwood there is a plastic plug top left of the winch cover. Pull this out and you will see a bunch of grease. Within the grease is a bolt to spin the manual crank. Its 7/16. In this case, because of the gearing, pretty much any drill is strong enough to lift the roof, or a good ratchet and socket and don't forget a socket extension. I'm pretty sure my buddy lifted his with a 14.4 ryobi home depot special with a 2 inch socket extension.
    On ours there is no plug so i have to remove the entire cover. Again, the bolt is top left of the winch.

Here's a link to the manual for mine with pics.

Ad

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/docs/tech/P3010402AV%20P55000%20Folding%20Camper%20Winch.pdf

6. arffch

arffch Member

hi pib with my rockwood some times the winch stops at the wrong "spot" and just a quarter turn of the socket will move the insides enough for it to work under power. good luck!

7. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

I have a Flagstaff HW27KS with the same Electric Lift.

I had the exact same problem. Like someone before said, there is a 25AMP inline fuse (should on the red wire on the outside of the battery box) and 2 auto reset circuit breakers on the positive post of the battery. There is a 60AMP one under the black battery box. Chances of that one blowing are rare.

But in my case, it was the battery 20AMP fuse in the Power Converter blown, which caused the reset breakers on the positive side of the battery to keep tripping.

Open up your converter front panel. On the right side there are 6 or 7 fuses. Check the 2nd one up from the bottom (which is line to Battery). It is probably blown. If it is blown and you are plugged into AC, there is a red indicator lit right next to the blown fuse. They are ATC type fuses.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have the same lift on mine. This lift has limit switches that also need to be checked alon with the main switch. You can spin these lifts fast with a battery drill

9. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Flagstaff and Rockwood are built bt Forestriver so they are the same camper the lift systems are the same, some times the auto circuit breakers can go bad also make sure you have no wire grounding out.

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Good Luck with that, That sucks, I hope you can get popped ASAP [PU]

11. PainInTheButt

PainInTheButt Old Time Camper - New Time Pupper

Okay, here I am to say "Thank You!" [​IMG]

I copied all the information here and showed it to the guy who's been helping me. Now, I'm a 62 yr old woman with a poor memory and technicaly iliterate. But the guy used a socket wrench and started to raise the PUP when all of a sudden the motor started working. Got it up 3/4 of the way when it stopped again. A few more turns of the socket wrench & we got it up. Before that he did a bunch of other stuff with some kind of tester after unhooking the battery. Don't ask me what he did!

I'm glad I started this post because people are going to read it and hopefully remember what they read if they have their own electric lift problems.

You have all been great! In return I am going to write a story of this 2 week camping trip. Besides this post, I also posted about my battery problems AND I also had other problems not related to the PUP. Lets see how my sense of humor goes over. [​IMG]

12. Crafty1

Crafty1 New Member

And ours is dead again, too! Second time this has happened.

13. tfurgeson

tfurgeson New Member

I have the same issue and a very similar setup from the sound of things, but they mounted my battery on top of the manual lift hole so it isn't an easy option. My problem is I keep blowing this inline fuse (20 AMP) and when I get to the camp ground my battery hasn't been charging so lifting is a problem. Did you have this inline 20 amp fuse? I can't figure out what the blown 20 AMP fuse is impeding except maybe charging from the vehicle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  14. TULSACAMPINGFAMILY5

TULSACAMPINGFAMILY5 New Member

Just trouble-shot our forest river for two days checking everything, with no success until, the ground wire. As soon as i reworked the connection at frame, lift works flawlessly. Next time anything electric is not working for me, I will check the ground wires first