Fleetwood E1 Furnace Question

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Eville Edna, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

Hi,

We’ve had this for 6 months and gone out in it 5 times already. On our last trip I needed to use the furnace. I followed the manual’s instructions and the furnace worked like a beaut, which was a relief because we were in Yellowstone and it gets really bloody COLD there at night. I’m a bit paranoid about the furnace running whist we’re sleeping so I kept the thermostat low, so I guess it was cycling about once every hour or so. On the second night, I could get the fan to run but it would only run for about 30secs then switch off because the furnace itself would not kick in. I was running on battery and had about 9 amps available. So wondered if there was insufficient battery power for the furnace to ignite. The next day we changed campgrounds and drive for about two hours and I tried again, now 12 amps, but it still wouldn’t kick in. When I first opened the panel, I noticed a red LED flashing slowly. This was no longer occurring. So I think it might be a fuse so I’m going to change t to see what happens. - Any other suggestions welcome. But I’m concerned it will happen again and wonder if the thermostat is what broke it in the first place, so, should I change the thermostat, and if so, what should I replace it with?

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If the fan comes on, the thermostat is doing its job. What is the battery voltage?? If it's low, the fan won't spin fast enough to trip the sail switch to enable gas flow. That being said, do you have propane? Make sure it's not empty!

BillyMc likes this.
  3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

atwood furnace flashing light

atwood.jpg
    low battery voltage can prevent the fan from turning fast enough, the sail switch does not close and therefore the gas valve is never opened

BillyMc likes this.
  4. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

Propane was all good, I have a gauge and was in the green.
    The issue seemed to occur with shore power too, I tested at the next campground. But I'll test again.
    I didn't realise the flashing light was diagnostic.... Figured it was an operational indicator.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Shortly after the fan comes on you should hear the igniter start clicking. If the fan just runs for a while and shuts off with no clicking you either don't have enough air flow or there is a problem with the furnace.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

That’s exactly what happened. Any idea what the issue could be because it was working fine the previous night. What do you mean by airflow?

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Eville Edna, one of the safety features of the furnace is to run the fan and make sure there is enough air flow, the one motor powers the supply air (for burning/exhaust) and the air that blows out warm. The air must flow fast enough to shut a 'sail' switch. If the sail switch does not close the gas valve/clicking will not happen and the LED will flash as indicated above.

Causes, mud dauber/wasp in the exhaust on the outside or some other restriction, low voltage on battery power ...

Atwood furnace? see the trouble shooting page 30
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://direct.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

in particular BLOWER RUNS - BUT FAILS TO IGNITE

neighbormike and BillyMc like this.