Fleetwood E1 stereo recommendations

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by erdvm1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. erdvm1

erdvm1 New Member

So, I'm looking to install speakers for outside of the E1. I would like the stereo to have Bluetooth capabilities for my iphone to connect.
    So what speakers would you recommend and what head unit? Also where would you recommend mounting the head unit?? Is there a separate way to power the stereo besides the main battery ?

Pix of your setup would be nice too.
    I also have XM so that may be nice too.

2. erdvm1

erdvm1 New Member

Bump

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

It all comes down to what you want to spend? I'll help you spend your money. [LOL]

You should be able to find somewhere to fit something along the lines of this.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX470/Kenwood-DDX470.html?tp=20217
    Or something like this
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IVEW535/Alpine-IVE-W535HD.html?tp=20217#details-tab
    which also adds in HD radio. Its all how much your willing to spend. The sky's the limit on this stuff. Kenwood/Alpine........both are good stuff.

If it was me I would use these for speakers. The only downside to these is you would need to store them inside when traveling but they can be taken off the brackets in about a minute.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR4B/Polk-Audio-Atrium4-Black.html

You'll be at your battery's mercy for power unless connected to shore power. I'd tap it directly into the converter.

4. erdvm1

erdvm1 New Member

Thanks
    Does anyone know the speakers that come stock in the fleetwoods outdoor speakers?
    If really like to get some installed close to stock so they're always ready and never have to fiddle with them

Love those headunits

5. Old_Geezer

If the ones that came stock from Fleetwood are like any that came stock in either one of my HTT's believe me you don't want them. Do they work?.................yes...............Do you get any sound quality at all?............................NO. A lower end head unit will sound great with good speakers. A top of the line head unit will sound like crap with cheap speakers.

6. erdvm1

erdvm1 New Member

Got it
    So would nice boat speakers work?
    These will be mounted in the walls always exposed to the weather and road to some degree.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I'm with John, it's not going to happen soon, but I can't wait to get rid of my stock outside speakers and put something worth hearing in their place.

8. Old_Geezer

You would want marine speakers that have the polypropylene cones and rubber surrounds. What you will find is none are listed as "water proof". They will all say "water resistant". I would be willing to bet any of them being installed by any of the camper manufacturers are also only "water resistant" and in no case will they be anywhere close to aftermarket marine speakers from one of the top brands. What I have found from experience is the camper manufacturers use speakers with very small magnets, as they usually have a clearance issue behind them. I would also look into ones that have the grill more enclosed than wide open like some of them have. A lot would depend on the install. I would bed the speaker frame in butyl tape, then caulk the entire perimeter and mounting screws with a good grade of caulk. After the grills are then installed I would caulk those also to the body.

In my first post I linked to those Polk Atriums. I have the larger model of those out on my patio and they have been out there for about 7 years. When I had my 2010 popup I intended to mount a set of those Atrium 4's or 5's under the body, attaching the U bracket into the main frame rail of the camper. On the Palomino I had they would not have extended beyond the body of the camper, it would have been a really clean setup. That is one I never really got around too. Those Atrium's come with a rear port and a removable cover for it in the back. If I was you I'd seriously consider those before cutting holes in the body.