Fleetwood E3

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by justwork, Mar 30, 2017.

1. justwork

justwork Active Member

Well... Been over a year since my last post. August 2018 I was in a motor vehicle accident while overseas. I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury, only had a %10 of surviving and if I did survive 50/50 I'd need assisted living the rest of my life. Lady Luck was on my side and I survived, I also have no real mental deficiencies and am hoping to get back to work as soon as I can (government required medical to do my job). A few weeks before the accident I ordered all new canvas from Bearcreek. I promptly fractured my skull and forgot all about it. A couple days ago I received a letter from the holding company that has the package. Woot woot... Paid for and forgot, now I just need to make a trip to the border and pick it up. Must do it in January or else they're going to toss it. Should make an awesome spring project.

I also had the roof of the E3 sprayed in Line-X Berliner. It does not leak a drop of water anymore.

[​IMG]

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Feel better and prove them all wrong!

3. justwork

justwork Active Member

Picked up the new Bearcreek canvas and am super pumped to install it this spring. Thinking another 6 or 8 weeks to go before I can get started on the spring refresh.

I'm planning to pull all the old canvas off. While I have the canvas off I'm going to paint all the hard surfaces in the pup a lighter shade of grey to help update it and give it a cleaner look. Also thinking about painting the cushions... I've seen on YouTube people painting couches, drapes, t-shirts and other fabrics with Krylon spray paint. Figured it is worth a shot, if it doesn't turn out I'll have new covers made. Also going to spray the curtains too.

I'm also planning to rebuild some of the benches, cabinets and the interior steps to get into the beds. Planning to use a nice maple ply wood. Will be a fun project.

Before the roof was fixed a little bit of water had made it into the camper. The ceiling has a couple waves in it. Instead of pealing off the entire ceiling I'm planning to use this EXCELiner Fibreglass Reinforced Polyester Resin Wall Panel. It's sold at Home Depot. It cleans easy and I can cut it to shape. I'll plan to use a construction adhesive to get it on the ceiling.

I'm thinking about removing the stereo that came with the E3. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior speakers and I don't like how you can't isolate interior sound from exterior sound. I use bluetooth travel speakers for music anyway.

The spring list is just beginning and I'm pretty pumped to get it started. First trip will be June, wife and I will take the kids to the Bay of Fundy and likely hit up Martin Head rock.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  4. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Great thread. We are picking up our
    new to us 2010 e3

5. James Rucker

What is Dispersed camping? Campers more spread out?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. James Rucker

Thank you for this thread. My wife and I are buying a 2010 Coleman e3, due to pick it up on Monday weather permitting. Good to know about the roof for sure. Personally I hate the fake wood cabinets and plan on doing a bit of remodeling. Will be installing an a/c unit, doing a stereo upgrade, reupholstery, new generator and maybe add a small tv/DVD player among other things. Also need to replace the three forward screens (previous owners kids did a number on them). Gonna take awhile though, lots of money and I'm cutting into savings account. But no kids, I'm NOT leaving either money nor a good looking corpse behind!! Lol

7. James Rucker

20200312_165337.jpg 20200312_165337.jpg

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 and Spridle like this.
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Google says ….
    What is dispersed camping? Also known as free camping, pirate camping, boondocking, or just plain roughing it…whatever you call it, the rules in the US for vehicle camping in designated Forest Service Land are a godsend for any budget-minded traveler.

Roy Ken

James Rucker likes this.
  9. justwork

justwork Active Member

Cool stuff James Rucker.

A couple days ago I pulled the E3 into my garage, popped it up and started to remove the old canvas. I thought the old canvas wasn't terrible, well until I started to remove it... Very gone, I was being careful as I wanted to save some panels to have some "extra" incase something happened down the line. Nope, all the canvas but the bed ends basically disintegrated. It was like carefully removing paper. Very pumped I sprung and got the replacement canvas at this point.

I am now anxiously waiting for warmer weather so I can install the new canvas. I keep telling myself to be patient, doing it while its cold out will be A) more difficult and B) Likely damage the new canvas windows or screens.

The upper privacy panel on my E3 door was totally messed. I'v been trying to repair it since I got it using everything from replacement parts and a rivet gun to metal speed tape from the maintenance department at work. Nothing has helped. I realize we don't usually have the privacy panel open in the door to utilize the screen. This panel is what causes me grief. So I've decided to remove it all together. Removed the sliding panel and the screen, I'm planning to replace it with 1/4' tinted plexiglass. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to secure it into the door yet, when the popup is closed the door is secured to the ceiling and the window will want to fall out. I've decided to use clear caulk around the edges, and this should help secure it in place. I don't want to try and rivet it to the frame because I know this will cause the acrylic to crack. I think what I will do is pre-drill the window, drill out the door window trim, and secure the window inside the door with some small nuts and bolts using rubber washers. I'll drill the holes in the window slightly larger then the bolt and not crank them down super tight. I want the window to be able to expand and contract with the change in temperature. I'm using tinted acrylic to offer some privacy but I will also do a small privacy curtain inside the pup, either velcro or snaps.

I was also going to just polish the door up and give the aluminum some shine again. I'm thinking now I'll paint it an off white to match the new canvas. I see a lot of newer model pups have the doors painted white and this could help modernize the look. I'm not sure what type of paint I'll use yet but likely a rustoleum spray or some spray bomb that will adhere to aluminum.

I've also decided on a colour to paint the cabinets. I'm going to use a combination of a Benjamin Moore colour, Stonington Gray (google it) and a bone white. I feel like the grey will tie in nice with the existing cushion covers as well as the curtains. The white will help brighten the camper up. Likely I'll use a Benjamin Moore bathroom paint, something mildew resistant, and high gloss to help make it easy to wipe down (3 kids under 10).

Originally I was planning to change the cushion covers, however they are in good shape so I think I'll just leave them. Same as the existing curtains. Leave them for now and if I want I can change them next year or even sometime in the summer.

I've also been thinking about adding a solar panel, maybe 330W and a charge controller. The majority of the camping we do is Boondocking. That being said I'm not sure if it's worth the money and potential headache. I have a small Honda 2000W generator already and would bring that on an extended trip. I honestly don't think I would need it though since I have 220AH battery setup and have switched everything to LED. The only big draw is the water pump and the inverter (if I use it at all). I also have a viltron battery monitor that gives real time battery bank levels. If I see I'm getting close to %50 I can fire up the generator for a few hours. I think I'll hold off on the solar just after typing this all out.

Any other tips or trick? Renovation suggestions?

Sjm9911, Overland and James Rucker like this.
  10. James Rucker

It's all just work. I'm really chomping at the bit to get a rack on top for our yaks. And oh yes, the screens for me. These are first, working on the cabinets in between while amassing stereo components. An a/c unit is a must for my wife, but a little cost prohibitive for now, but found one for 400 on Ebay.
    Good luck justwork✌

11. justwork

justwork Active Member

Your E3 should have rai
    ls along the roof edge to mount a rack without having to drill into the roof. I use mine for my canoe, and I’ve fit 5 canoes on it before.

James Rucker likes this.
  12. justwork

justwork Active Member

Well it took me just over 3 hours but I got the new Bearcreek Canvas installed this afternoon... Fits really nice, I'm going to have to do some tweaking to get it to fit properly though. Seems very tight laterally, as a result I'm having a hard time with the velcro on the door mating with the canvas. I'm a little concerned because it says it's supposed to fit a little loose and will tighten up after it is wet... I don't know how much tighter it can get.
    Anyway, looks fantastic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. justwork

justwork Active Member

There are some interior shots.

14. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Nice camper.. I can see something like this in my future when I need more space.

15. goat4hooves

goat4hooves New Member

Nice rig. Thanks for sharing.

patfraley likes this.
  16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Very nice. I wouldn't mind a toy hauler type to take a motorcycle.

James Rucker likes this.
  17. justwork

justwork Active Member

When I first bought it I thought it might be big enough for my HD road glide... nope. Dirt bike or quad would work but the tongue weight would be out of control for my little quarter ton.

James Rucker likes this.
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is my problem too. There was a model or two that was big enough for 2 quads I think, but they only made it for a couple years. I think that one was a Rockwood. My bikes are about 5-600 lbs (Kawasaki ZR1100 and an ex KZ1000P cop bike) so like you my options are limited to haul one with me. Really don't like enclosed toy haulers but that may be the only option, unless I jerry rig a camper onto a really long trailer and put the bikes on the back. Unfortunately that requires a longer trailer, welding/fab skills and a couple friends willing/able to help with the project, none of which I have.

Sjm9911 and James Rucker like this.