Fleetwood Neon Project (2007)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by saint urho, Feb 15, 2016.

1. saint urho

saint urho New Member

These photos are also in my introduce yourself thread, but, I brought them over here because I like to have all my project photos in one place.

Not a lot of room to take photos when set-up in the back yard.
    [​IMG]011 by robert, on Flickr
    trying to charge the battery.. will need to get back to that.
    [​IMG]009 by robert, on Flickr
    through the screen door
    [​IMG]013 by robert, on Flickr
    What's this switch?
    [​IMG]005 by robert, on Flickr
    Is it to ignite the heater?
    [​IMG]007 by robert, on Flickr
    Mystery cable, looks like it ties into the electrical? Was informed this can be used to connect the trailer to the TV. Nut and washer.. need to find the bolt.. or the hole the bolt used to be in... also, you can see the same switch as the earlier photo.. still a mystery
    [​IMG]006 by robert, on Flickr
    Light with input? Actually it's an out, low voltage accessory jack.
    [​IMG]004 by robert, on Flickr
    Sleeping zone, basically a double
    [​IMG]001 by robert, on Flickr

2. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Re: Fleetwood Neon Project

what year is this unit? looks kinda cool.....

3. saint urho

saint urho New Member

The plan is to enhance the sleeping area by using the doubles size thermarest I've got; might also look at replacing the foam in the stock mattress, my assumption is that it's seen better days being ten years old.

The next interior fix-up is to replace the curtains, pulled the old ones down and have been searching for some appropriate fabric to replace them with...not going to use anything with the plastic black-out liner. Not sure how important it is to be that dark in there.

The bull nose edging is pulling off the cabinets, will re-glue that some day when it's hot enough to flex the plastic. It's going to be difficult to clamp so.. stay tuned.

Need to sort out the electrical, figure out the heater, replace the CO detector and replace the fire extinguisher.

Need new tires and will check out the brakes and bearings once real spring shows up (we have been enjoying false spring the last couple of days, pushing 10 degrees C for a high.. most of my camping nights are colder than that). Trailer tires (wheels) don't appear to be balanced.. is that normal?

4. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Fixed it in the title.. it's a 2007. PO claimed the heater was never used.

5. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

What's this switch?

It's a safety switch that keeps the 12 volt electric items from working when the bunk is pushed in and top is down. No fire that way.

The electric cable is so you can run 12 volt with out a battery. Don't do this better no lite then no start on the car. LOL

6. saint urho

saint urho New Member

I'll take a closer look at that switch. It seems to me that the guard will keep the switch from being depressed. Thanks for the knowledge.

7. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

No what your calling the cover is bent, it should depress the switch when the bed is open.

8. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Oh, I do see a bend in the cover, so when the bed is open (for sleeping), the cover is supposed to depress the switch and then the electrical items, like the lights, will operate. That might explain why I couldn't get the lights to work. Thanks.

9. saint urho

saint urho New Member

I'll also need to be schooled on the optional outdoor stove from this era of Fleetwood trailers. From the Internet it looks to me like it would be an RVQ brand based on the hanging frame that came with the PUP. Can any propane accessory be used, or is there a pressure variance between the RV propane plumbing and other propane camping equipment? Anyone can link me to a picture/brand/ size of the original stove for my trailer would be greatly appreciated.

10. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Weather is great here this weekend. Popped open the camper and worked out how to get the interior lights on and also fired up the propane heater. Thinking about going to a double battery.. because.. no real reason.

Also grabbed some Marimekko brand fabric remnants to update the curtains, looking forward to getting those back from my seamstress. Photos to follow in a couple of months.

Noticed that my popup doesn't seem to lift totally square, the back right corner seems a little low... as if the other three corners come to the end of their cables before the fourth is totally raised. Is that typical? Is it fixable?

Did some research.. yes and yes are the answers. My measurements are LR 51-1/4" LF 51-1/4" RF 50-1/4" and RR 50-1/8".. so I'm going to need to go up about an inch on the right side.. and that should tighten up my canvas.

11. saint urho

saint urho New Member

New tires, and added some plasti-dip to correct the colour.

[​IMG]001 by robert, on Flickr

[​IMG]002 by robert, on Flickr

Glamped up the interior with some Marimekko fabric remanants.

[​IMG]003 by robert, on Flickr

And set-up in Camp backyard.

[​IMG]004 by robert, on Flickr

12. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Trying to adjust this one post is a nightmare... I'm about one inch low in the right rear corner... if I tighten the cable with the trailer up there won't be enough space to get my ratcheting spanner off the end of the cable... can I adjust it with the camper down?

13. saintz01

saintz01 New Member

Hi, just curious how much difference there is between that corner and the others? I have a 2006 Neon and the back doesn't come up exactly inline with the front. It isn't off that much and doesn't seem to affect the raising of it at all. When I raise mine, I just let it get to the top and then go to the back step and push up slightly on the roof and it clicks into place. If mine were farther off I would probably go ahead and readjust the cables, I just don't see the reason to take it all apart yet at this point.

How are you liking your Neon so far? I bought mine several months ago, we love it! I am removing the air conditioner unit as it has caused a divit in the roof and leaks. I'm going to remove it, make repairs, and going with a fantastic fan. I also used one of your photographs to help me find the 12 volt inline kill switch! I was rewiring and repairing a lot of bad things done to the camper by the previous owner yesterday and just missed it I guess. I'd love to know more as you go along, and I can let you know as well. There aren't a lot of these things out there. Have fun!! Greg

14. tsc

tsc Member

Not sure of the Neon, but if it's like every other Coleman/Fleetwood. Here's how to adjust the roof.

(look under the "Instructional" section)

https://he-ruide.smugmug.com/

15. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Hey Greg. I think I was about 3/4" lower in that back corner. I didn't have a problem putting the door in place, just the fabric was a little wrinkled.
    I love the trailer, been great for camping. I think that my camping season might be over soon, trying to get out for one more night. check out my other threads to see what I've done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. saint urho

saint urho New Member

Let's add a couple of pictures showing my Neon at the campground.
    Bastion Mountain /Herald Provincial Park
    [​IMG]003 by robert, on Flickr
    Lightning Lake / Manning Provincial Park
    [​IMG]022 by robert, on Flickr
    Camp Driveway / Saltspring Island
    [​IMG]047 by robert, on Flickr

17. ByramTra

ByramTra Member

There were two different styles of propane hook-up for external stoves. Low pressure and high pressure. Could you post a photo of the hook-up and stove frame you have? High pressure looks like the connecter on the little green propane bottles, and will connect to most any portable camp stove/ barbeque. Low-pressure is special and is harder to find. uses a stove more like an interior built in stove.