Flex Seal as a roof coating ?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by markc52003, Apr 17, 2013.

1. markc52003

markc52003 New Member

Hi
    Has anyone used or seen someone use Flex Seal (as seen on TV) as a roof coating on an aluminum roof ?

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have not seen it used on a camper roof, but Phil Swift sure made a nice bass boat out of an S10 pickup on that commercial out of it.
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Seriously, don't waste your money on that crap. Search through the roof thread and do what others have done. Why do you need to coat an aluminum roof anyway? Isn't it the seams and molding caulk joints all you need to worry about?

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I work part time at a True Value Hardware .......... totally junk will dry out over time. Then you will have a bigger mess.

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

If your looking for a roof coating go with Koop seal or some type of elastomeric seal. Met hey can stand up to uv rays yet still flex in cold weather. It also helps reflect heat off the roof, meaning cooler inside

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Junk??????????? Without using that stuff how do you ever build a boat out of a screen door?????????? [LOL] [LOL] [:O]

And didn't you see the new commercial where the guy with one of those racing boats says " when I get a leak I grab flexseal" [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would like to see them go fishing in that boat on fishing opening day this year. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] They could open the screen door and put their feet on the bottom of the lake. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Or look like Aquaman with the boat around waist. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

7. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I have an ABS roof with constant cracking year after year. I have used Flex Seal for the past two years. I had to buy the black color for my white roof - even though now they have white color. After the Flex Seal drys (which is pretty quick) I use Kool Seal mostly to get the repairs back to white.

I used Kool Seal on the roof when we lived in AZ. My experience is both products work well - at least in my use they have performed.

The bigger problem is the ABS product itself. No easy fix and constant maintenance. Even the RV repair shops won't touch it. If anything drives me from a PUP it will be the constant nagging roof repairs.

8. markc52003

markc52003 New Member

I've had a chance to see flex seal that has been out in sun light for around 7 months IT DOSN'T WORK !
    Doing some more checking around found a blackjack brand Elastomeric coating ( Ultra Roof 1000 ) at Lowes for $22.98 a gal .
    I saw that a lot of people are using grizzly liner at over $80.00 a gal . WOW
    I'm just looking to coat my aluminum roof to seal 4 or 5 small holes from tree limbs that hit the roof in an ice storm when the past owner had it.