Flex Seal question

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by cssweeney, Aug 17, 2012.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Has anyone used this stuff on any of your leak repairs. It is called Flex Seal. Here is a description that they have " Flex Seal is a rubberized leak sealer that seeps into cracks and holes to seal out air and moisture. When dry, Flex Seal, as seen on TV, is a long-lasting, watertight, paintable, flexible rubber coating that won’t sag, drip, crack or peel. It seals out water and lasts for years. One can treats 2 – 12 square feet. Once dry Flex Seal can be painted any color. Flex Seal the easy way to coat, seal and protect. No need for prepping, works wet or dry. Use Flex Seal the liquid rubber sealant coating on roof leaks, gutters, skylights, hoses, windowsills, PVC pipes, flashings, duct work, foundations, basements, chimneys, downspouts, Vent pipes, A/C drip pans, RV’s and Campers, Trailers and so much more!"

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I did a little internet research after I saw the wonders of Flex Seal demonstrated in my own living room, thanks to the TV. I nearly called them on the spot.

Unfortunately, much of the claims made in the commercial have been debunked and are sketchy at best. There are plenty of local alternatives that do not require as much shipping costs per can as the actual product.

From the automotive market, wheel well liner in the aerosol can is about 1/3 the cost (no shipping/handling needed). There are all kinds of rubberized aerosol sealant products at Ace and other hardware stores. Just go in and ask.

Too many complaints found on this product for me to actually give it a try, so I speak from no first hand experience. In this case, I learned from others' mistakes.

3. babar

babar Don't throw effort after foolishness

I've used the Rust-O-Leum version of this product. It works quite well, for the basic purpose of applying a thin coating of rubber to a surface.

Rhino liner makes a more resilient truckbed coating that I've used on a pickup, but I think that application may be too cumbersome for the PUP. It features a clumsy roll-on application. They may have spray cans out, but I haven't seen any.

I encourage you to mask the surrounding areas WELL, wear your protective gear (gloves, mask, eye protection) as this stuff isn't what you want inside your head and/or internal organs.

In addition you won't want to use this product, or any other like it, on a wet surface or where you may have a project currently leaking. With the area properly prepped you should be well served for minor applications. You won't be building any rafts with this material, nor will you want to apply to your colander in your PUP.

On the other hand, it is a nice slip resistant surface for shelves, steps and could probably be used to protect one-self from a bear attack {please do not try this}.

4. PhotoMasterGreg

PhotoMasterGreg New Member

As a new (inexperienced) popup user, I incorrectly opened my pup and tore a huge hole in the 24 year old canvas. We duct taped it as best we could (didn't stuck too well) and when we returned home, bought the flex seal. It did a great job sealing it, but stuck to itself the next time we opened the pup. Once I worked it free from being stuck to itself, I used duct tape on the flex seal. Now we have a good seal from the flex seal and the duct tape stops it from sticking to itself.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

5. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I used Flex Seal on my ABS roof cracks. It's black and the roof is white. Once dry I covered it with Kool Seal white paint which I had already done on the entire roof. So far, so good!

6. PhotoMasterGreg

PhotoMasterGreg New Member

Just saw at WallyWorld (Walmart) a new version of Flex Seal called Flex Seal Brite. It's a white version of Flex Seal. It's in the "As seen on TV" section.

Crazy is more complicated than most people think. ~ Dr. Walter Bishop

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Rustoleum makes/or sells in colors now. Used it on a small gutter leak ....did not last.

8. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

Most of that stuff from "as seen on TV" in my opinion is basically junk... We have a local store that sell it and dropping in once in a while I have a look and am not very impressed.. Its cute or neat but long lasting NO.. See this used "stuff" at the flea markets all the time..
    The old adage, " if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" holds true for most of their items...

g

9. nexus

nexus New Member

Peice of **** product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put it on my camper last spring.....used 3 bottles and by July, it had literally turned to a dust. It breaks down fast and crumbles.

I found a product that is much better - White Knight. It is a very good product that seals. Its thick, its white and it lasts. So far.

10. elliottj45

elliottj45 Camping with my soulmate

Where did you find White Knight? In Ontario? What store? Thanks!

11. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

You can buy this @ Canadian tire or
    Home depot in New brunswick , runs about $40 for a large can. Its basically another version of Kool seal , its an elastomeric roof coating that cuts down on the heat inside . Its basically a rubber coating not paint.

Heres a link, I plan on doing this to my pup later this spring

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/HomeRepairMaintenance/RoofRepair/PRD~0641190P/White+Knight+Flexcoat+Roof+Coating%2C+3.78+L.jsp?locale=en

12. nexus

nexus New Member

In comes in a spray can for 10.99 at CT or the gallon roll on at the depot in the roof isle for 39.99

The roll on gallon is superb!