Flex seal tape

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by mgman, Oct 7, 2019.

1. mgman

mgman New Member

Has anyone tried using this product on an Aliner. I had a small leak around one of the skylights of our 2002 model expedition. On the advice of our local RV dealer I used Geocel Proflex RV sealant. I sealed around all the skylights with it. Noticed the other day one of the other skylights has a small leak. Rather than buy another tube of Proflex I thought I’d try flex seal tape.

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

No probs here, but there's a reference to patching on this forum w/in the past couple of months that may have mentioned flex seal?

3. mgman

mgman New Member

Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can find the post.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Found this from back in June, may have been on a previous post you put up, I'd forgotten about this stuff... "We have owned 3 Aliners, and we have been around and around with those windows. The first Aliner we had leaked terribly. We tried adding caulk for months and couldn't stop it. We finally removed the bubble windows, and cleaned the surfaces very well, caulked and replaced them. It was a disaster. What we learned is that the windows are adhered at the factory using some kind of special bonding. The caulking we used was top notch marine caulking we had used on our sailboat to seal stuff that would not come off without a crow bar. But the caulking those bubble windows just didn't work and they started parting from the camper.
    My husband (the engineer) bought 2" wide flat pieces of aluminum, ran the aluminum strips around the perimeter of the window flange, (caulked to the max) followed by with stainless screws. Within a short amount of time that started coming up, also.
    So we sold that trailer... (LOL) and bought another one only to discover that it, to, had leaking windows. This time we also discovered there were hairline cracks in the corners (stress cracks?) where water was coming in. Having learned our lesson the last time, we opted to order the black Eternabond tape after reading on this forum about others having success with it. He applied it around the windows. It's not pretty, but not ugly, but by God that camper doesn't leak a single drop. And we've been in drenching rain for weeks on end.
    That's our experience with the bubble windows. Good luck!"

HappyTraveler and Econ like this.
  5. mgman

mgman New Member

Thanks Rik. Looks like I might try Eternal Bond. I wonder how well it will stick to my crappie caulk job.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

While I don’t have an Aliner, I’ve used Eternabond for various repairs. The largest I’ve done with it is sealing the long edges of the rubber roof of my old Tioga Motorhome and the center roof seem on my Four Wheel Camper. In all my applications it has worked very well, but the patch site should be cleaned. That said, I don’t remember it talking any special prep. While it is available in various width rolls on line, my local RV store sells it by the foot.

Good luck however you proceed.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Throw the Flex Seal tape away. Get your self another tube of Pro Flex

bheff likes this.
  8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Best advise ever ........

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

never used the flex seal tape, however I did use the flex seal in a can, worked well for a few years on a crack in the abs plumbing on my holding tanks, but eventually failed and start leaking again, problem I found with the flex seal was once you use it, nothing else will stick to it.

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

Are you talking about the bubble skylights? Have you checked the corners of the bubbles for stress cracks?

For the stress cracks I taped off an area about 1/4" from the crack and smeared some of the following on it.

In an attempt to recaulk the bubble it was discovered that about 3/4 of the bubble was not glued down. The bubble was reglued and caulked with the following. It has worked when all else has failed. I don't leave home without it. WARNING: It is not as easy to work with as house caulk and it sticks tenaciously. Suggest you tape off the area not to be caulk with tape and plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEGC66E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The factory uses a different form of this to glue the bubbles down.