flex seal vs. bondo

ropafire

May 17, 2022
hi hivemind ! i have a couple very small cracks on the front plastic part of my 98 coleman sea pine. the previous owner had given me a couple cans of flex seal, but i looked at the details and it looks like it takes 48 hours to dry. i can’t leave my camper open that long and the cracks need to be dealt with with the camper open. bondo would dry faster correct? also rather than a wild spray i could smear it on. what say you?

ropafire

May 17, 2022
i would then sand the bondo down and paint over it with some white marine paint is what im thinking

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I wouldn't use FlexSeal. It doesn't hold up.

I think instead of regular bondo I would find some fiberglass filler and use either fiberglass or wire mesh or fabric. You will probably want to use regular bondo to finish it off.

ropafire

May 17, 2022
thanks! they are really small cracks and only one hole maybe the size of a dime. just don’t want it to get worse. i’ll look into the wire mesh and just skip the flex seal all together. :)

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Small cracks, I'd just use something like mixed fiberglass resin or a clear nail polish..

stephen1

Apr 21, 2021
Los Angeles
thanks! they are really small cracks and only one hole maybe the size of a dime. just don’t want it to get worse. i’ll look into the wire mesh and just skip the flex seal all together. :)
Bondo makes a fiberglass resin. I used it to fill small holes in my aluminum roof and for a large tear I layered fiberglass cloth and resin to repair it.
Wear a real respirator and goggles when working with the resin.