Flies in your support rods?

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Galileo, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Galileo

Galileo New Member

Had a really weird thing happen, but we're new to popup camping so maybe it's a thing we just don't know about. After we removed support rods from one slideout, we noticed a weird humming and suddenly DOZENS of flies began to pour out of the tubes, I smacked the rods on the ground and MORE poured out. There were a few in the other end's tubes as well. Anyone else run into this or have any explanations as to WHY this occurred? We were only there 4 nights.

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

More info! Did you catch any?
    Where were you camping?
    With no photos or geographical clues, basing this on behavior only, I would guess one of two things:
    1. you got some wasp or bee nests in there and they were not flies at all (hundreds of potential species).
    2. something died in there and maggots ate it and turned into flies, as maggots tend to do (hundreds of potential species).

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

As good an explanation as any.

4. Galileo

Galileo New Member

We were in Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park which lies on the border of Saskatchewan and Alberta and is the highest elevation in SK. As far as pictures, we were late taking the camper down, it was hot as hell, and I was in the middle of the shock of the flies pouring out while I'm banging the rod tubes and also hoping they aren't wasps, so no I didn't catch one, or take a photo. Looked like your average black fly, maybe deer flies. The rods are stored in the camper, and I'm sure there was no maggot stage involved as flies were too big for that to be possible in a 4 day period. That's why it was so weird.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Well, this is NOT a common popup thing, to answer that question!

Life cycles are accelerated at higher temperatures so 4 days from egg to adult isn't unreasonable for some flies. (Or something could have died/food spoiled in the camper before your trip. Maggots usually leave their food source to seek shelter elsewhere before pupating so maybe they all squirmed into the poles, not expecting you to go camping while they were inside.)

On the offchance that this is a wood-boring insect thing, if you are unfamiliar with winged ant and termite forms, google those and if it could be either of those, check under the slideout for any damage.

I would at least send an email to the park and ask if they have a clue--park rangers usually have a pretty good handle on critters in their area.