Flip down Cabinet Storage

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sdn40, May 8, 2016.

1. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Anyone have a genius way to handle storage in the flip down cabinets ?
    I think newer pups keep the cabinets upright - but the older pups flip the cabinets upside down. The drawbacks are obvious.
    I have been obsessed with finding a way to use the storage without having to empty it every trip due to the flipping of everything upside down. I'm sure I could just use smaller totes and let them float around in there but its kind of not my style. Because of the hassle I dont utilize this space as well as I should.

Ideas ?

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Here's the thing with the flip over galley; whatever you put into it, whatever it is you're using to store goods, you're going to have to find someway to prevent them from tumbling around when you flip the galley over. You could use a set of plastic Drawers or some sort of lining on the bottom but whatever is inside that cabinet space is going to tumble when you flip it upside down.

This is where the collapsible shelving mod become so handy. A set of shelves allows you to use totes box store can goods gym bags clothing and things of that nature.

Once you flip the galley over for travel, you can use it to store bedding or clothing bags temporarily.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With both pups, we ended up just coping with moving things; we had tried for a time to figure out what to leave in the top, but it never worked well. Since both were small (6' and 8'), there wasn't a huge amount of flipped space. It actually helped with storage of bedding, since we couldn't leave it on the bed. Quick move of supplies to under dinette space, put bedding in the flip-over section of the galley and good to go.
    I do admit it is a tiny bit easier not to have to squirrel as much away, but even in the TT, we have things that need to be secured before getting on the road. (Instead of moving things under the bench, we stash them in totes in the shower well.)

4. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

If its just dry goods and the cabinets flip forward you could cut a 1/4" piece of luan or ply to the shape of the flip down, pilot drill screw holes, and attach the ply to the bottom of the flip down (glue it later if your happy). Or you can hinge the ply and put latches on the ends and use it like a trunk when folded forward. If you unscrew the upper half of the hinge it should be OK or the issue would be that you'll need a spaces of equal thickness under the bottom of forward edge hinge. I'm looking at making the bench/slide bed on the left side of the entryway of our pu into a stand up cabinet so that we'll have more floor space (three dogs!). Lift it into vertical after the top is up and fold it down along the wall before we break camp.
    Cheers

5. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

When I had a flip over galley I got a Sterilite drawer (kind of like this one: http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=692&ProductCategory=260&section=1) and screwed it to the bottom of the cabinet. I also put a piece of 'hook and latch' fabric to make a 'lock' to keep the drawer from opening when being flipped. I kept the bigger plastic utensils, spatulas, serving and slotted spoons, light flatware etc. in that drawer, things that didn't matter if they got flipped or bounced around.
    It worked very well for me.