Flirting with the dark side, but we broke up!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gardenbliss, Feb 3, 2017.

1. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I've been a die-hard Popup fan for almost 15 years now, but lately, I got to thinking. Well, that thinking got me to drive over to an RV store "just to think what the future might hold". That same kind of thinking walked me right into an Airstream 16' Bambi, and...well...I sorta fell in love. Right in front of DH!!! It was embarrassing and gushy, but it was truly love at first site. I NEVER, EVER, NOTEVER thought I would like a hard-walled, small windowed, round, shiny orb for a camper. I mean, I REALLY LOVE my PUP for many of the reasons I REALLY DISLIKE enclosed trailers. I love the big 360 degree view, the smell and sounds of nature while I'm inside at night, or during a hard rainstorm, the compactness and easy maneuverability on the road and while navigating a narrow campsite (and my narrow driveway). Nonetheless, I floated headlong into a schoolgirl flirtation. I trolled Craigslist and E-bay, trying to figure out how I could manage a "used" but still in perfect shape Bambi Sport. I map quested an Airstream dealership near me, planning to visit my new crush, and getting to know her better. I devoted an entire browser to pictures and layouts of this amazing camper. Then, I started to drop hints to my DH about my growing desire to have a full on affair with the dark side. He was concerned, of course, because this flirtation could cost us a hunk of change and he wasn't quite ready to make that kind of commitment. My emotions were running rampant and I had it bad. It was consuming me every time I got on the computer. I even started to make lists of pros and cons between PUP's vs AIRSTREAMS, and (gulp) trolled Airstream forums.

Then...

I opened up my PUP, walked inside, and fell back in love with her. He airiness, and lightness of being, and welcoming camp feel made me feel comforted, like a warm hug. I aired out the bright home made curtains and and layed out a table cloth and re-kindled my old flame. I am now over my crush with Bambi (sort of). I figure I have 15 years before retirement, so I can start a future slush fund, but it's just not meant to be for Bambi and me. Maybe someday, but not now. I'm just not done enjoying the feel of a glamped out tent with all the comforts I need.

Of course, all this emotional cheating made me feel guilty for even considering trading in my PUP, so I broke out into MOD fever and have 3 new projects on the horizon. I've ordered the reflectix to make the window screen insulating MOD. I've layed interlocking foam under the mattress on the kind bed that was always just a little too hard and too cold. I bought Grapper insulating blankets to create my own version of the Popupgiszmo, and one for closing up one bed when I camp alone and don't need to waste heat on an entire bunkend. I also plan on either laying down PVC cabinet liner or maybe even painting the cupboards a nice white color. Yes, the love affair continues, and at least I didn't go all the way :)

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I've only been with my pop up since last March it is true love! Yet I have plans to go to the RV/camping show. Is this the equivalent to going to a singles bar? I'm telling my self it is ok to be curious about others but could I be led astray? Is my relationship in danger?

Confused in Illinois

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

You guys should teach creative writing....

4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

The dark side is strong.....but the force is stronger The dark side swallowed us whole...we were weak.lol. May the force be with you

5. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Great narrative! I smiled throughout and felt immersed in the tale. Well done! [RTM]

Fast forward to me finish reading, Googling Airstream Bambi, seeing price and picking my jaw up off the floor. Wow! That alone would make me stick to my PUP. [PU]

6. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Never could understand why folks craved the airstreams..Prices on those are horrible to say the least.. oh well ,,,

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

YUP! Bambi cost more than my 2014 Ford Explorer!!!!

8. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Yes...your relationship is in grave danger because... "we covet what we see"

9. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

great story Bliss.
    I've seen your pup and she is something to be proud of.
    remember the grass is always greener on the other side...till you get there. then you discover they have the same weeds you already had [;)].
    be Faithfull to your true love. and we'll see both of you in the cg. [:D]

10. gardenbliss

Just A few reasons why I fell in love with the airstream:

Can fit 2 bikes inside while towing (less weight on the tongue and back of car)
    A pass through screen door so I don't have to constantly open screen door
    Can pull into rest area and access camper and toilet
    No canvas to dry out after rain or worrying about mold/mildew
    Easy up, easy down awning
    Good resale value
    Riveted seemless design, no leaks
    Aerodynamic design for less wind drag
    Cool wrap around windows

11. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

I love the airstreams, but just can't get passed the price. need to get into someone's will...
    until then I will just enjoy the smell of canvas ... :)

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Our TT has access to the bunks, king bed, kitchen and washroom. When the king slide out bed is in, we lose the use of the dinette and couch. It has a fold up bunk with driver side storage access that can load up a couple of bikes too. The big thing for my wife was having the couch and washroom The washroom is great on those long trips, you don't have to find a gas station anymore.

13. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

We are always flirting with the dark side, it has become a habit. However, we keep going back to the PU. We keep fighting the reasoning behind it all and I keep thinking of the gas mileage. With that said, we are going to the RV show in Rosemont to meander in and out of TT and HTT's. It doesn't cost much to flirt!!!

14. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I have to say it is fun to look at what manufactures do these days. The camper we have now is such an upgrade from the first one and has everything we wanted, and best of all its paid for. Don't think we will be moving to the dark side any time soon. The PUP sits in the backyard more than it does at a camp site due to having a kid in school. Maybe go to dark side when she is out of the house but that is going to be awhile.

Got to admit that is some creative writing by gardenbliss.

15. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Access on the road always seems to be on the last of people who have gone to the dark side.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

16. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

We've toyed with the idea of going dark. The biggest reason for us,is the amount of time needed for setup,and take down. Another reason is you can put coolers inside trailer,rather than in back of truck. The older I get,the less my back is liking lifting fully loaded coolers to tailgate height,and most travel trailers have lower door threshold heights. With pups, the issue with wet canvas can be a pain,as it's not always confident to open pup up to dry canvas. Even with those issues,it is still very enjoyable hearing the sounds of nature thru canvas.

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Before we realized we'd be moving on from the popup sooner rather later, we looked at the Bambi and other trailers at an RV show. At least at the time, one of the things the Bambi had going against it (besides $$) was that it did not have a bed that stayed made up.
    As with popups, every person's list for a TT will have different priorities. For us, an actual bed which stays made up was high on the list. Friends bought a Casita, and their bed is converted from the larger dinette - works for them, not for us. We didn't move up a lot in space, we had an 8' popup, our 17' Retro is about the same length; it is a bit wider and has more floor space.
    Not long ago, I found the list we made when it was obvious my back had deteriorated to the point that we had to change campers, or quit camping (at least solo camping for me). We did end up with a couple of things we had on the "don't think we want" side - large 'fridge, hot water tank, flush toilet - we use them all. Access inside while on the road has been a huge bonus, we use the bathroom and/or eat lunch inside far more than we expected we would. My husband expected that we would use the 'fridge for dry storage, but I convinced him to try it by bribing him with ice cream. Ours works well, and our eating choices have improved a lot. We still use a cooler, for extra iced tea and Gatorade, and for trips away from camp. I haven't been able to lift a filled cooler in years, so we just got in the habit of leaving the cooler in the TV. (If I'm packing it by myself, I put the empty cooler in the truck, and fill it there.)

18. gardenbliss

I do love the retros. A friend of mine has one, and loves it. It is priced right too, unlike the pricier Airstream. The 16ft Bambi does have a full time bed, which is important to me as well. I just really liked the wraparound window of the sport model, that gives me great views of the outdoors. When you sit at the front dinette, it is quite impressive. None of the box trailers had that same outdoor-in feel to them. They felt more like mobile motel rooms. But, as others have said, my popup is paid for, and the set up doesn't take me long at all. In fact, I enjoy the ritual of popping her up. My beds are always made up, and now that I no longer live in the PNW, wet canvas is not so much of an issue. My Somerset is built of steel tube construction with a seemless, wraparound aluminum roof, so no wood in the frame to rot. If I won the lottery, I'd own both the PUP and Bambi. But for now, LIFE IS GOOD!

19. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Funny how things go sometimes, in 2011 I bought a new truck because we were buying a new HTT. Had it all picked out then the rv show came up, we'd been before several times. And even though we still wanted the HTT, we started looking at TT's with walk around beds. We started questioning whether or not as we get older will we still want to be climbing up into the bunks, or would something like the walk around bed be better. The last couple years I really just think I want a small motorhome, one that fits in the driveway, and has an actual bed.

So six years after buying the truck we're still towing our little 8' box popup. I bought it new as a leftover at a really great price, with a small two year loan. We've camped all over New England, visited friends, been to several music festivals, even got married at the rally on Skyline Drive in Virginia a few years back.

So yes, we still don't like setup and break down, would still like access whil traveling, not having to pack everything in the truck all the time, and all the other things. I'm always looking, and one day we'll upgrade, but even then it'll be hard letting go of the little popup and its memories.

20. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

I really wish I had two. A TT for the long multi day drives and summer in Texas. A pup for Boondocking and fall weather

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.