Flooded camper but Don’t How

Guerrmo666

Apr 28, 2022
I decided, after initially hooking it to campground water, to fill the tank instead so I could test the pump b/c it was the 1st time I used it this year. I noticed water running out of the corners of the camper while I completed the set up. Never a good thing. The floor was soaked & I can’t figure out if I caused it when I connected to the campground water or when I filled the tank. Thinking it might be the former b/c I didn’t run the pump after filling the tank. There also wasn’t any moisture to speak of around the water tank itself. It seemed to be heaviest around the rear wheel well on the drivers side. It only went back as far as the front side of the water heater. I’m thinking maybe a busted water line, but I could find any telltale signs of one. The wetness seemed to be heaviest on the drivers side w/ water flowing all the way to the front & dripping from the corners. Any ideas? Did I blow a water line when I hooked it up to campground water. Thank you in advance.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Did I blow a water line when I hooked it up to campground water.
That could very well have happened especially if you didn’t use a water pressure regulator, or it could have happened sometime during the winter if it wasn’t winterized enough or in time. If your camper is old it could even just be the fittings got worn out. What camper do you have and how old? I would crawl under the camper and through all the cabinets to trace the lines. Concentrate on the fittings, the plastic is usually the first to break. I’m with you I doubt it could have been when you filled the tank unless your tank is inside the camper. Good luck.

MEGEDH

Jul 17, 2020
Northern California
I decided, after initially hooking it to campground water, to fill the tank instead so I could test the pump b/c it was the 1st time I used it this year. I noticed water running out of the corners of the camper while I completed the set up. Never a good thing. The floor was soaked & I can’t figure out if I caused it when I connected to the campground water or when I filled the tank. Thinking it might be the former b/c I didn’t run the pump after filling the tank. There also wasn’t any moisture to speak of around the water tank itself. It seemed to be heaviest around the rear wheel well on the drivers side. It only went back as far as the front side of the water heater. I’m thinking maybe a busted water line, but I could find any telltale signs of one. The wetness seemed to be heaviest on the drivers side w/ water flowing all the way to the front & dripping from the corners. Any ideas? Did I blow a water line when I hooked it up to campground water. Thank you in advance.
I had the same issue after trying out the pump for the first time after buying my Aliner used. I tracked down the issue as a loose connection of a hot water line. I believe the water line loosened up because the previous owner had so much stuff stored in each nook and cranny and items knocked the water line loose. Now I check each connection before each season's use to make sure they are hand tight. Since you didn't run the pump your issue may be different. You will probably need to start with connecting the city water connection with all the cushions removed and inspect with a flashlight until you find the issue. If that isn't the problem, switch to filling the tank and check again.

NickH

Jul 8, 2020
Ontario Canada
My guess it is probably a connection close to the hot water tank, if there was any water left in there that froze it will loosen the connectors. I had the same issue a few years ago with my 2016 Aliner.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Always want to use a water pressure regulator - high pressure can blow off the connections, especially in older campers or ones that were poorly crimped. Mine uses PEX throughout, which is a pita if you are working blind by feel in tight spaces. On mine I had a minor leak (just drips) due to a loose fitting where the city water came in from the exterior wall. I had to cut it out and replace, but that solved the issue. I would trace your lines, and make sure your valves were set correctly and are not leaking/damaged.

Guerrmo666

Apr 28, 2022
That could very well have happened especially if you didn’t use a water pressure regulator, or it could have happened sometime during the winter if it wasn’t winterized enough or in time. If your camper is old it could even just be the fittings got worn out. What camper do you have and how old? I would crawl under the camper and through all the cabinets to trace the lines. Concentrate on the fittings, the plastic is usually the first to break. I’m with you I doubt it could have been when you filled the tank unless your tank is inside the camper. Good luck.
Thanks. I have a barely used 2020 Aliner Expedition.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
This happens to me annually when I replace my inboard water filter and don't get the housing quite tight enough. Depending on how tight I do get it, either the water pump, or the municipal water pressure may be sufficient to cause the housing to leak.

Check your water filter's housing first. Next, check hose clamps everywhere; it could be that there's enough pressure coming through to allow water to squeeze past a loose filter housing or loose hose clamp.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Our’s flooded one night when the city water connection came loose on our 2nd trip out. We bought a bigger Aliner the next year and insisted the dealer check and test every water connection before delivery.

Guerrmo666

Apr 28, 2022
I found the primary culprit & an accomplice leak when I fixed it. It was primarily the hose that connects the pump to the freshwater tank. (See photo) Tightening the clamp didn’t seem to help much. Ended up using some Teflon tape. When testing the repair, I also found a leak around the fresh water fill, which only required tightening. I have to say that conceptually I love my Aliner. But the workmanship in building it leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the water connections had to be tightened. The partition separating the sitting area from the bed has pulled away from the wall. I’d fix it, but the screws are stripped, a commen issue throughout. The 1/4 inch luan plywood used for the bed is structurally inadequate for anybody over 150 lbs. These are little things that don’t cost much at all to do right. Somewhat frustrating..,

Attachments

• BA323800-299A-4BE9-9F91-7849073F8185.jpeg
    BA323800-299A-4BE9-9F91-7849073F8185.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 50DD4301-D0A8-46C8-8DAE-801CEACCCD7D.jpeg
    50DD4301-D0A8-46C8-8DAE-801CEACCCD7D.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 62

Guerrmo666

Apr 28, 2022
I found the primary culprit & an accomplice leak when I fixed it. It was primarily the hose that connects the pump to the freshwater tank. (See photo) Tightening the clamp didn’t seem to help much. Ended up using some Teflon tape. When testing the repair, I also found a leak around the fresh water fill, which only required tightening. I have to say that conceptually I love my Aliner. But the workmanship in building it leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the water connections had to be tightened. The partition separating the sitting area from the bed has pulled away from the wall. I’d fix it, but the screws are stripped, a commen issue throughout. The 1/4 inch luan plywood used for the bed is structurally inadequate for anybody over 150 lbs. These are little things that don’t cost much at all to do right. Somewhat frustrating..,
Shout out to Markins RV Service in Indianapolis for helping we out. Repairing the leak required a smaller set of hands than my big mitts. And the one of 2 sisters who run Markins jumped right in & fixed it along w/ discovering the other leak. Very pleased.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Bad about Aliner’s is they are a low quality build and lots of nuisance problems happen. Good is that if you are pretty handy, you can fix most on your own.

We are in our 4th season with our Aliner over 120 days camping and haven’t had anything that we couldn’t fix on our own. I’d prefer our dealer would fix but am not willing to wait months for repairs.

Had a Class B for less than a year and it was constantly in the shop for repairs of some kind. Glad to go back to simple.

Utemike

Mar 18, 2018
Yup, checking for leaks is a springtime chore. Camper sits drained and garaged every winter yet fittings manage to loosen. Initially bothered me but is now just part of getting ready.

KBull

Sep 11, 2019
On my ‘98 Coleman Fleetwood
1. My plastic faucet was cracked from freezing, leaked when hooked to city water, even when turned off
2. Inlet line from city water leaked
3. Fill hose to fresh water tank was cracked, and tank was inside the camper, under the dinette bench

Latest posts